Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Yawn - Its an FA Cup weekend

• 23-01-2009 7:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭

Normally i look forward to the weekend soccer - mainly the Premiership but then THUD - this one is an FA Cup weekend and i dont give a crap who wins or loses. I wont even bother watching any second string team battling out another second string team because to be honest its boring - its nearly the same as watching a reserve match.

The FA Cup is now really only for Championship teams and lower and good luck to them but as a competition it is nearly as bad as the Carling Cup. Even teams like Stoke etc. field weakened teams in the Cup.

I wouldnt care if they decided to scrap the Carling Cup and the way the FA Cup is going it wouldnt bother me either. It just fails to stir up any excitement anymore. I am looking forward to next week's midweek games though.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Where's the thumbs down button?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Lol.

Your such an Irish EPL fan:rolleyes:

Anyways, I love this weekend. Lots of upsets possible:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

JPA wrote: »
    Where's the thumbs down button?
    Its there below where you post.

And this is for me to the op's post.

I love football, not the PL, CL or any other singular competition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

They should change the FA cup to just be a competition between the top four in the premierhip, all played over two days in a super-mega-ultra-uber-skysports-weekend with multiball extratime

CiaranC wrote: »
    They should change the FA cup to just be a competition between the top four in the premierhip, all played over two days in a super-mega-ultra-uber-skysports-weekend with multiball extratime
    So then the holders Portsmouth should not get a place in it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Bring on the cupsets I say

eagle eye wrote: »
    So then the holders Portsmouth should not get a place in it?
    Nope. Who wants to watch Portsmouth? Nobody, except maybe people from Portsmouth, thats who.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

I love football too but i only really enjoy watching the top leagues in Europe, the Champions League and UEFA Cup - anything else i am just not interested. The domestic cup competitions have gone downhill bigtime - its just an opportunity for teams to try out their fringe players and there are loads of people who agree with this. Geez even managers dont really give a toss anymore - its nearly more of a liability where players can get injured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

They should have one of the Champions League spots go to the winner of the FA Cup. That'll get teams more interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

As a neutral I much rather the FA cup and even Carling cup games to premiership. Maybe it's just that feeling of an occasion but Burnley - Spurs on a Wednesday night in the Carling cup semi's beats Villa - Spurs in the premiership for me. Even the UEFA cup is of more interest. Again I haven't a clue why. Same for Celtic. I look forward to Dundee Utd on a Wednesday night in the league cup more than the mid season SPL equivalent.

Come to think of it I was also very excited about Milan - Lazio in the Italian cup a few months ago. Thanks to the OP for bringing this to my attention! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Nope. Who wants to watch Portsmouth? Nobody, except maybe people from Portsmouth, thats who.

You clearly support 1 of the top 4 teams?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

FatherTed wrote: »
    They should have one of the Champions League spots go to the winner of the FA Cup. That'll get teams more interested.

No chance sorry, that would be extremely unfair on a team that performs consistently over 38 games to finish fourth in the league rather than a team that might get a lucky run of games in the Fa Cup, big -1 from me anyways.

Smegball wrote: »
    No chance sorry, that would be extremely unfair on a team that performs consistently over 38 games to finish fourth in the league rather than a team that might get a lucky run of games in the Fa Cup, big -1 from me anyways.
    I actually disagree with this. You got through a number of rounds in a knockout competition, its hard, you cannot lose a game or you are out.

Finishing fourth best in the league should not be worth more to a team than winning the FA Cup imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Well im off to the Sunderland v Blackburn game,

so im looking forward to it, 4th time the clubs play each other this year.

Im a Blackburn fan, but will be sitting in the home swection with the girlfriend and her family,

roll on the 5th round!

I actually disagree with this. You got through a number of rounds in a knockout competition, its hard, you cannot lose a game or you are out.

Finishing fourth best in the league should not be worth more to a team than winning the FA Cup imo.

What I'm saying is a team that does well consistently over 38 games rather than a run of say maybe 5 or 6 deserves a Champions League spot more imo, the Carling Cup entry to the Uefa Cup is already there for a cup run opportunity into Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

What I'm saying is a team that does well consistently over 38 games rather than a run of say maybe 5 or 6 deserves a Champions League spot more imo, the Carling Cup entry to the Uefa Cup is already there for a cup run opportunity into Europe.

+1

You could get a run in the cup where you play all your games at home against lower league opposition.

The way it is now the four best teams in the land get into the CL and there's no denying it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

This idea should be extended to the Premiership season itself.

Well the Carling League Cup is the third competition, not nearly as important as the FA Cup.

I think the FA Cup winners have as much a right if not more to a place in the CL than a team that finishes fourth. As it turns out the winners for the last number of years with the exception of Portsmouth and Everton would have been in them positions anyways.

Which goes to prove how seriously its taken by the big clubs as well as all the rest.

I'd much rather see a team that can win something in the CL rather than a team that just finished fourth. And the amount of games in the league means nothing to me. You have the teams at the top getting richer and richer through continued presence in the CL and getting away from the pack. As a result they can afford more depth in their squads which means they are less likely to suffer from injuries like other teams.

If you gave the FA Cup winners a spot in the CL it would make the competition even more important and would also given other teams a chance to catch the big teams should they win it, unless of course you just want the big four teams to have all the money between themselves as has been the case for too long now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

The Fa cup is great

Last season when Liverpool went 1-0 and then 2-1 down to Havant and waterlooville was amazing stuff

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Man you love to whine
    wah wah wah rafa benitez
    wah wah wah fa cup
    cry me a river

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Idu

Which goes to prove how seriously its taken by the big clubs as well as all the rest.

More likely it shows a gulf in class between the squads of the big clubs and the rest.

I like the cup but it hasnt been the same since United dropped out all those years ago. Really seemed to hammer home how far it had fallen from clubs priorities and with the vast sums of money riding on premiership survival you can kind of understand it too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Rosedale6

Bring on the cupsets I say

Yeah Ipswich beating Chelsea would be nice.

Well the Carling League Cup is the third competition, not nearly as important as the FA Cup.

I think the FA Cup winners have as much a right if not more to a place in the CL than a team that finishes fourth. As it turns out the winners for the last number of years with the exception of Portsmouth and Everton would have been in them positions anyways.

I'd much rather see a team that can win something in the CL rather than a team that just finished fourth. And the amount of games in the league means nothing to me. You have the teams at the top getting richer and richer through continued presence in the CL and getting away from the pack. As a result they can afford more depth in their squads which means they are less likely to suffer from injuries like other teams.

If you gave the FA Cup winners a spot in the CL it would make the competition even more important and would also given other teams a chance to catch the big teams should they win it, unless of course you just want the big four teams to have all the money between themselves as has been the case for too long now.

Well this season has shown the actual gap in quality has lessened, all the top four teams are dropping points at teams you would have normally expected them to pick up the win easily enough.

Villa themselves are in amongst the top four atm, and Everton aren't that far off Arsenal either, theres genuine competition for the fourth spot this year.

For example I doubt MON would be very happy if he worked his Villa team against the odds over a grueling 38 game schedule to come ahead of Arsenal only for another team to take up that CL spot from a relatively easy cup run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Who wants to watch Portsmouth? Nobody, except maybe people from Portsmouth, thats who.

I like to watch Portsmouth...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Warper wrote: »
    Normally i look forward to the weekend soccer - mainly the Premiership but then THUD - this one is an FA Cup weekend and i dont give a crap who wins or loses.

At least it is not an International weekend ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I'm looking forward to this FA Cup weekend actually. I'm hoping Harry keeps his word and fields a weakened team so United can power through to the last 16, I'm also keen to see how well Owen Garvan does against Chelsea (assuming he features), and also looking forward to seeing Liverpool and Everton locking horns once again. Might be an upset or two on the cards as well.

Wolves to beat Boro.

Pigman II wrote: »
    This idea should be extended to the Premiership season itself.
    How amazing would that be. EVERY SINGLE SUNDAY would be SUPER SUNDAY!

Even if you only got to one game a year, it would be guaranteed to be vs one of the big four!

You could scrap season tickets and just cater to people coming from outside, massively increasing tourism in the cities of London, Manchester and Liverpool.

Wouldnt have to worry about CL qualification, it would be automatic!

More likely it shows a gulf in class between the squads of the big clubs and the rest.

I like the cup but it hasnt been the same since United dropped out all those years ago. Really seemed to hammer home how far it had fallen from clubs priorities and with the vast sums of money riding on premiership survival you can kind of understand it too
    Yeah I remember that, they dropped out to take part in World Club Championship only to run into Romario and Edmundo. They demanded a 4th round spot iirc but the FA told them good riddance.

I don't see how that could belittle the competition as they have been in it every year since and fighting to win it every year as well.

And regarding the premiership money train, of course its very important but the big clubs have wanted it all to thermselves at the top of the table.

You see the debt United are in now, if the likes of Villa and Man City can succeed at uprooting the big four, you will see some of these sides suffer dramatically. Two years without CL football would see Arsenal, United and Liverpool in serious strife financially, lest they also find a sugar daddy.

Anyways when all is said and done, the FA Cup is a great competition imo. And I'd still love to see a CL spot as a reward for winning it.

By the way watch out for the PL, I predict if Villa and Man City do upset the apple cart, that you see more spots available for English clubs in the CL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

Yeah I remember that, they dropped out to take part in World Club Championship only to run into Romario and Edmundo. They demanded a 4th round spot iirc but the FA told them good riddance.

That's way off the mark

United were pressured by both the FA and British Gov. to go and compete in that competition to boost England's chances of hosting the 2006 World Cup,
    The other option was that Bayren Munich would have gone thus giving the Germans brownie points for their world cup bid

United would have preferred to stay at home

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/man_utd/853647.stm

Obviously I was, apologies there, But that proves that their withdrawal was forced which makes the point made by someone earlier about their absence from it quite mute. But I'm on the mark about Romario and Edmundo. I remember Edmundos goal one of the best ever imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

May as well put up the ole fixtures, no point starting another thread:

Saturday, 24 January 2009

Chelsea v Ipswich, R4, 15:00
    Doncaster v Aston Villa, R4, 15:00
    Hartlepool v West Ham, R4, 12:40 UTV Setanta
    Hull v Millwall, R4, 15:00
    Kettering v Fulham, R4, 15:00
    Man Utd v Tottenham, R4, 17:15 UTV Setanta
    Portsmouth v Swansea, R4, 15:00
    Sheff Utd v Charlton, R4, 15:00
    Sunderland v Blackburn, R4, 15:00
    Torquay v Coventry, R4, 15:00
    Watford v Crystal Palace, R4, 15:00
    West Brom v Burnley, R4, 15:00
    Wolverhampton v Middlesbrough, R4, 15:00

Sunday, 25 January 2009

Cardiff v Arsenal, R4, 13:30 Setanta
    Liverpool v Everton, R4, 16:00 Setanta

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

disgraceful refereeing to book Cole and Ilunga in the hammers game...

EDIT: HAR 0 - 2 WHU - Behrami, Noble (pen)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Warper wrote: »
    Yawn - Its an FA Cup weekend

Nice to see the "Magic" of the cup is alive and well

the cup is always great for the upsets, just as long as the gooners dont be on the wrong end of one i'll be happy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

OP your thread title '' Yawn - Its an FA Cup weekend ''

yet it got your attention enough to start a thread about it .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Nice to see the "Magic" of the cup is alive and well

the cup is always great for the upsets, just as long as the gooners dont be on the wrong end of one i'll be happy :)

It's hard to be excited by a competition when it is completely devalued by those participating in it. Isn't that right 'arry?

Anyway, Carlos Cuellar is atrocious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

how he didnt get a yellow for that tackle at the start is beyond belief

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Yeah, let's here it for the Irish lads!
    1536: GOAL Chelsea 1-1 Ipswich
    You'd have thought Chelsea might have worked on their set pieces after recent matches wouldn't you? Well, not so much. Owen Garvan's free-kick finds its way to Alex Bruce at the back post and the defender, completely unmarked, lashes home.

Watford doing the business yet again in cup competitions but not in the league!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Xavi6 wrote: »
    It's hard to be excited by a competition when it is completely devalued by those participating in it. Isn't that right 'arry?

Here's our first team squad:

http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/players/player_profiles.html

Palacios is not listed there, but he's cup tied, and Boateng is back in Germany on loan.

The following are definitely out:

Heurelho Gomes (thigh)
    Vedran Corluka (groin)
    Ledley King (hamstring)
    Aaron Lennon (groin)
    Jermaine Jenas (calf)
    Darren Bent (groin)
    Jamie O'Hara (hip)
    Alan Hutton (foot)
    Frazier Campbell (cuptied)

The following are all doubful:

Jonathan Woodgate (back)
    Luka Modric (back, hamstring)
    Michael Dawson (too many to mention)

You pick a fcuking XI.

• Advertisement

Lol I KNEW a Spurs fan would bite.

The fact is 'arry said he would play a weakened side.

Lol I KNEW a Spurs fan would bite.

The fact is 'arry said he would play a weakened side.

Has he an alternative?

And where were you digging out Steve Bruce last round when he rested 7 against us?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

he was more absolute than a weakened side....he said a mish mash team of youth players etc. dont use injuries as an excuse reckless :)

Mr Alan wrote: »
    he was more absolute than a weakened side....he said a mish mash team of youth players etc. dont use injuries as an excuse reckless :)

Same goes to you:

Show me the alternative.

Has he an alternative?

And where were you digging out Steve Bruce last round when he rested 7 against us?

Don't agree with that either. Same for us not playing Robinho and Ireland. I wanted to win that cup.

Anyway, provided the 'maybes' are ok -

Alnwick

Gunter
    Dawson
    Woodgate
    Bale

Zokora
    Huddlestone

Bentley
    Modric

Defoe
    Pavluychenko

Subs:

Keeper
    Assou-Ekoto
    Ghaly (Time for a 2nd chance?)
    Giovani
    Taarabt
    2 young fellas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Samurai

Steve Sitter strikes again!

And now Gabby fluffs a guilt edged chance

4-1 to us now:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Anyway, Carlos Cuellar is atrocious.

why are you having a pop at harry? on rte this morning he said he would play the strongest team possibly but will probably weak due to injuries?

sounds fair enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Samurai

Wasn't that confident when gabby was through, never am!

• Advertisement
Advertisement