Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ken Shamrock - Just Let It Go?

• 23-01-2009 7:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭

"The World’s Most Dangerous Man” is angry.

“I’ve had a string of bad luck,” Ken Shamrock said on Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” on Wednesday. “My ability to get things done in the ring is still there. I wouldn’t do it if I couldn’t. But trainings have gone well and it’s really just a few injuries that have kept me from cutting loose.”

Shamrock goes into 2009 on the heels of a problematic 2008 in which Shamrock was front and center during what many call the beginning of the end for EliteXC last October. The 44-year-old legend, winless in his last five outings, was forced to pull out of his bout with Kevin “Kimbo Slice” Ferguson on CBS the day of, due to an injury he suffered while rolling.

Shamrock wasn’t pleased with how Pro Elite, the owners of the failed promotion, reacted to his misfortune.

“I think the way they handled it that night and afterwards with these accusations from them that I shouldn’t have been rolling and all these opinions being talked about,” said Shamrock. “But this is what I do. I haven’t done anything different. To try and find an avenue in which you could put the blame on upset me as opposed to them just saying it was a shame. If you don’t have proof, why would you do something like that? When you’re wrong, how do you take that back?”

But the sport moves on and Shamrock (26-13-2) isn’t ready to get off the carousel just yet.

The UFC Hall of Famer springs back into action on Feb. 13 against 300-pound super heavyweight Ross Clifton (6-8) at “The Valentine’s Eve Massacre, a co-promoted event between Ken Shamrock Productions and Wargods.

“We wanted to do Bo Cantrell and John Marsh but neither of those fights were able to happen,” Shamrock said. “Bo Cantrell blew his knee out and John Marsh couldn’t get ready in time. So we were looking to see what we could put together on short notice. This one seemed very interesting to me because if I was a fan looking at this fight it would peak my interest as to how you would beat a guy that big. It would be tough to take him down and submit him but you probably could once you got him to the ground because he doesn’t move very well. But you don’t want to end up on the bottom.”

Shamrock hopes this is the start of a successful string of fights for himself and his burgeoning promotion. Bouts with adopted brother Frank Shamrock and UFC contemporary Tank Abbott loom on the horizon as well.

“This has been a fight that’s been trying to happen for years,” said Shamrock. “Every time I try to turn the page to the next fight there’s always the question, ‘Are you going to fight Tank?’ And it seems no matter how many times he loses or I lose or we win or wherever we go the question keeps coming up. So why not? Lets put it on and let’s get it over with.”

Though he’s been down on his luck of late, Shamrock doesn’t seem to have a shortage of challengers. Word of a potential bout against former UFC heavyweight champion Tim Sylvia also circulated last December. But the news came as just as big of a surprise to Shamrock as anyone else.

“There was one meeting on the phone with one of their people asking about a fight doing something like that,” Shamrock said. “We told them that I wouldn’t do the fight now but maybe down the road something could happen. But then all of a sudden there was talk of this fight happening and I didn’t know anything about it. We were four weeks away from the fight and I was just finding out. There was a miscommunication there I believe, messages got crossed up along the way.”

A list of potential matchups continues to grow, but Shamrock can only say that Clifton is next. The UFC 1 veteran has been subject to much scrutiny because he hasn’t won a fight since 2004, but Shamrock insists he can still fight and will retire on his own terms.

“When I lose the will to want to do it and I can’t get past the injuries,” said Shamrock. “I am healing up. I’m getting better. I know I’m getting better. But there will be a point in time where your body just hurts too much. Right now I feel I’m taking it to some of these guys I’m training with who hold belts. I know what I’m capable of doing. I just have to get in there and do it. That’s what I’m working for right now. The next couple of fights people are going to get in there and see that and those people are going to have to jump on those blogs and apologize about my abilities and my fighting. I will prove them wrong.”

Surely the 4 years since you've last wn are a sign Ken.
    It's getting to the stage where you're tarnishing your record.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Surely the 4 years since you've last wn are a sign Ken.
    It's getting to the stage where you're tarnishing your record.

He doesnt care he needs the money after squandering most of it. He should worry more about brain damage after all those quick ko's he had in recent years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

rovert wrote: »
    He doesnt care he needs the money after squandering most of it. He should worry more about brain damage after all those quick ko's he had in recent years.

I;m not so sure if it's money, although God knows he did squander it.
    I really think that he's not prepared to give in.
    Part of him thinks that he's the same man he was 17 years ago.

How did he squander his money? Surely he must still be a millionaire a few times over

Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    How did he squander his money? Surely he must still be a millionaire a few times over

His manager took lots of it, he made bad investments, ploughed a lot of money into the Lions Den and he has had substance abuse problems. He was broke by the time he left the WWF in 1999 which is mind boggling as he was a featured star there in a time of peak business. But I don’t know how much he made for TUF & his return to the UFC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Clive

Fighters fight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

As long as KS passes his pre fight medicals and is medically fit to fight I'll fully supportive of his desire to fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭agardiner22

Ali passed his medicals for his later fights and we know what happened there,
    its time For Ken to quit even if he is still game.

As long as KS passes his pre fight medicals and is medically fit to fight I'll fully supportive of his desire to fight.

And if this isnt sanctioned?
    Clive wrote: »
    Fighters fight.

Grrr

If it isn't sanctioned it isn't sanctioned. I'm sure KS has a personal physician that knows the score and will tell him if he needs checks or if fighting is much more dangerous for him then for someone else.

When shamrock starts getting beat up in his gym by **** guys he'll know when to hang the gloves up.

If it isn't sanctioned it isn't sanctioned. I'm sure KS has a personal physician that knows the score and will tell him if he needs checks or if fighting is much more dangerous for him then for someone else.

Either that or he'll just give him pills and get Ken's autograph.

• Advertisement

well if you're going to get beaten up you as may as well be cheerful.

It is not the critic who counts, not the one who points out how the strong man stumbled or how the doer of deeds might have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred with sweat and dust and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, and spends himself in a worthy cause; who, if he wins, knows the triumph of high achievement; and who, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Kent Brockman

It is not the critic who counts, not the one who points out how the strong man stumbled or how the doer of deeds might have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred with sweat and dust and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, and spends himself in a worthy cause; who, if he wins, knows the triumph of high achievement; and who, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat. .

I doubt Ken would ever be able to recite that as lovely as it is Clive. The only thing I’m being “critical” about is letting fighters past their prime and who have shown in previous fights to be distressingly quickly and easily ko'd fight. I think that is more healthy than propagating macho bull**** notions.

The only thing I’m being “critical” about is letting fighters past their prime and have shown in previous to be distressingly easily ko'd.

Really? I don't want to get into some tit-for-tat stupidity, but look at some of the things you've just written:
    I doubt Ken would ever be able to recite that as lovely as it is Clive.
    His manager took lots of it, he made bad investments, ploughed a lot of money into the Lions Den and he has had substance abuse problems. He was broke by the time he left the WWF in 1999 which is mind boggling as he was a featured star there in a time of peak business. But I don’t know how much he made for TUF & his return to the UFC.
    Either that or he'll just give him pills and get Ken's autograph.

Now you can argue that some of them are true, but saying that someone is brain damaged and fighting because they're broke after stupid investments and drug problems is pretty critical in my world. Now you may be a medical expert for all I know, but I'm pretty sure you're not qualified to say whether Ken Shamrock is fit to fight or not.

You may not like him, or want to see him fight, but don't lay into the man on a personal level.
    I think that is more healthy that propagating macho bull**** notions.

Yes Roosevelt was known for his macho bull**** notions alright.
    :rolleyes:

Really? I don't want to get into some tit-for-tat stupidity, but look at some of the things you've just written:

Now you can argue that some of them are true, but saying that someone is brain damaged and fighting because they're broke after stupid investments and drug problems is pretty critical in my world. Now you may be a medical expert for all I know, but I'm pretty sure you're not qualified to say whether Ken Shamrock is fit to fight or not.

You may not like him, or want to see him fight, but don't lay into the man on a personal level.

I do like him Clive thats why I followed him and know so much about him. I resent calling what I wrote stupidity when if fact you cant refute any of it.
    An inability to with stand blows to the head is in a sign of brain damage.
    Ive read Ken's own book, The Wrestling Observer for years and Total MMA each of them talk about Ken's problems, what I posted are all on the record facts.
    Yes Roosevelt was known for his macho bull**** notions alright.
    :rolleyes:

Applying them to this context it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Roper

Macho bull**** notions?

Ken is the real deal, he has nothing to prove by being "macho" he has been in and done it all while some of the current crop were still in nappies and if the man is fit and able to fight (he always seems to be, he's in amazing shape) then why not. Personally, I would like to see him quit but this is his show and he'll doubtless be the biggest draw. I love the guy I think he's an absolute legend.

It's amazing that nobody who actually fights looks at him and says quit. Anyone who has been there looks at him and wants that longevity, that desire when they're in their 40s.

You go Ken and I hope you bring home the bacon.

Roper wrote: »
    It's amazing that nobody who actually fights looks at him and says quit. Anyone who has been there looks at him and wants that longevity, that desire when they're in their 40s.

These are ridiculous generalisations. They are simply not true many fighters have come out publicly stating Ken shouldn’t be fighting including Michael Bisping, Guy Mezger. He has lost 5 of his last 5 five fights by KO or TKO in the first round some longevity alright. But lets forget all that OMG HE IS A LEGEND LET HIM FIGHT IF HE WANTS TO. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

I'm sorry, but Ken has to learn when to say stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

+1

And those lads set a standard and are an inspiration to those of us who try to make excuse's as to why we can't shouldn't put in that extra effort because we're "pushing on a bit".

Although I don't fight MMA I'm still fighting Judo at 43 and only stopped competitive kickboxing at 39.

I lose more than I win, I bitch and moan about injuries and blaim my age etc. Then I went and seen Coleman fight his old heart out last week at UFC 93 and I look at Ken Shamrock (I'm a huge fan of his) and although I was never going to fight at their levels I do draw on the example given and I push myself a little further.

I go a little longer before stepping off the mat for water, or a few more days before I drop another unprescribed Defene to ease the pain in my joints.

So Ken Shamrock, Coleman, Couture etc they're all a huge inspiration to old farts like me.

Go Ken Shamrock ..

• Advertisement

Shamrock's recent efforts arent comparable to Coleman & Couture, Mairt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Shamrock's recent efforts arent comparable to Coleman & Couture, Mairt.

His efforts are relative, I think they are.

His recent achievements however are not comparible.

So what, he lose's.

But he's still out there fighting, and away from the camera and the fans he's still pounding the bags, running the miles, breaking a sweat and bursting his balls.

Personally speaking, for me he's one of the greats.

Go back to the tortillas and WWE tapes lads and let the man fight if he wants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

I'm a huge Ken Shamrock fan. I like to see him fight. His last fights were against top class competition and a HW fighter who hits hard and was stronger than him (Berry). If he fights against LHW's there is no reason why he should not fight, or in this case he seems to be fighting in a freakshow match against a 300lb man. I wish him well and want to see him retire on a winning note, whenever that is he decides.

Sure look at Dan Severn, he is in his 50's and still fights, enjoying wins in the recent past over the likes of Forrest Griffin and Colin Robinson. Should he retire. No he is a legend and is doing the sport he loves and helped pioneer.

Mairt wrote: »
    So what, he lose's.

He is facing brain damage from another first round KO or TKO.
    Go back to the tortillas and WWE tapes lads and let the man fight if he wants.

Great to see you are attacking my points here, Roper.

Btw Shamrock you know the guy we are talking about wrestled for years. :eek:
    If he fights against LHW's there is no reason why he should not fight

How many times to I have to say this he was TKO or KO in his last 5 fights in one sided affairs. He is risking brain damage. He cant withstand punches to the head.
    Sure look at Dan Severn, he is in his 50's and still fights, enjoying wins in the recent past over the likes of Forrest Griffin and Colin Robinson. Should he retire. No he is a legend and is doing the sport he loves and helped pioneer.

In my opinion Severn shouldn’t retire as he still has successful and competitive fights without putting his health in jeopardy relatively speaking. I don’t think the question of should someone retire should be answered by "No he is a legend and is doing the sport he loves and helped pioneer."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Great to see you are attacking my points here, Roper.

Btw Shamrock you know the guy we are talking about wrestled for years. :eek:

How many times to I have to say this he was TKO or KO in his last 5 fights in one sided affairs. He is risking brain damage. He cant withstand punches to the head.

In my opinion Severn shouldn’t retire as he still has successful and competitive fights without putting his health in jeopardy relatively speaking. I don’t think the question of should someone retire should be answered by "No he is a legend and is doing the sport he loves and helped pioneer."
    I would think getting ko'd in the third round would bring a greater risk as he'd take more shots no?
    Any ko brings that risk anyway.
    You can say it's for the paycheck and it probabll was when he came back. The man is medically fit to fight, He like all fighters is hungry to win, He doesn't fight to prove it to others, He is fighting to prove it to himself that he can still do what he loves. Until he suffers your worst case scenario rovert you cant say I told ya so it's also highly unlikely that he will suffer it.

I would think getting ko'd in the third round would bring a greater risk as he'd take more shots no?
    Any ko brings that risk anyway.

It has gone beyond that stage raze. Once again he can longer withstand punches to the head without his body shutting down on him.
    You can say it's for the paycheck and it probabll was when he came back. The man is medically fit to fight, He like all fighters is hungry to win, He doesn't fight to prove it to others, He is fighting to prove it to himself that he can still do what he loves.

When have I said otherwise?

Ken was only narrowly medically cleared to Kimbo last year by the Commission.
    Until he suffers your worst case scenario rovert you cant say I told ya so it's also highly unlikely that he will suffer it.

Please explain this to me, how can you say this exactly?

source or stfu.

source or stfu.

No no no. Haven't you heard? You can say whatever you want and then it's up to others to DISPROVE it.

In fairness, I think rovert is 14 or 15 so I shouldn't be so harsh.

• Advertisement

source or stfu.

His last five fights he can’t withstand punches to the head without his body shutting down on him prematurely.
    No no no. Haven't you heard? You can say whatever you want and then it's up to others to DISPROVE it.

In fairness, I think rovert is 14 or 15 so I shouldn't be so harsh.

Id like you to attack my points for once mate.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement