Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you help?

Options
  • 23-01-2009 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭

This week's POST had a story about a woman complaining that nobody was helping her when she got mugged/attacked on the Dock Road.
    We were discussing this at work and it turned out that nobody would help. Mainly for two reasons:
    - Nobody would help me either.
    - I don't put myself in danger because I don't know with what type of scum I'm dealing.

Would you stop and help?

Would you stop and help if you see someone beeing attacked? 12 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    83% 10 votes
    No but I will call the Gardai
    16% 2 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Havent the Gardai, well certainly the UK force have said never to intervene, but to call them first! You really dont know what you are getting into, the attacker could have a knife/gun!

I think it all depends on the situation. I saw too drunks bating the ****e out of each other on O'connell st, i didnt step in! I was going to call the Gardai, but they probably wouldnt even have investigated it, probably just a drive by!

People dont really have much faith in the Gardai, which is for a whole other thread

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

The message of that story is "Are we living in a society where nobody cares anymore?"

I for myself wouldn't help either but call the Gardai if it looks serious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

I would and in the past I have - I rugby tackled a mugger in the middle of Hackney, East London and have intervened when a man was verbally abusing a woman.

Good as the Guards might be they won't get there on time to stop the situation, only pick up the pieces. If the general public don't stand up then the thugs have won.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I wouldn't go near it - I'd probably call the guards alright though...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

It probably depends as well of what stature you are...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

It probably depends as well of what stature you are...

As well as that of the scumbag.

I remember a fairly heavy woman who wouldn't have been able to run after anyone having her bag snatched on Cruises Street years ago and a guy ran after the little fvcker and got it back....but then you're in a built up densely trafficked area and the robber(s) [can't remember] were only kids. Someone else sat on them til the Gardaí came.

I wouldn't as I'd most likely end up flattened against anyone with a little bit of strength.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

I think a lot depends on the situation and whether you think getting involved would prevent an injury.

I have stepped in on two incidents in my life, one on Patrick Street in Cork where a woman who was hanging onto her handbag was being dragged by a scumbag along the path, and the second time was here in Limerick where a woman was punched in the face by a guy who turned out to be off his face and mistook her for someone he knew.

But I agree with the poster that said a person's own stature plays a big part, I stand at 6'2, weigh around the 16 stome mark and have a martial arts background, so I would be very confident in my own ability to step in and diffuse a situation without escalating it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

I would and have done in the past and I'm a 5'1" woman. Years ago I ran between 7 guys and 1 woman who were attacking my friend's boyfriend on O'Connell St, which gave him time to phone for help. I've done it two many times to remember them all. Just 2 weeks ago I stopped 3 guys from riding motorbikes through my local park as there were kids and dogs playing about.

Possibly my gender and stature works in my favour as it shocks the hell out of the aggressors. If you've ever seen an alsatian look on in puzzlement while a yorkie yaps aggressively at it you'll know what I mean. Depending on the situation I also scream out that the gardai/police are on their way as I approach.

I know I'm lucky to not have gotten hurt but as Amadeus has said if you let the scumbags away with it, they will win and ultimately everybody will suffer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭shqipshume

I heard a woman on radio other night,saying she saw some guys beating on someone in street.She drove down the road flashing her lights and blasting her car horn.
    You don't have to get involved if you are putting yourself in danger or maybe that person.
    But if you are able to handle yourself and know what your doing then yes you should help.

I also watched on tv other night a taxi driver punching a guy in the face who was minutes before stomping all over someones head,and loads of women came over and one woman started screaming at people to help the guy who was after been punched.
    I think if you can draw enough attention or there is a lot of people around they should all help and shouldn't just stand back and let one person do it alone,

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭avillan

Did once year or so ago.Guy had his wallet stolen by 2 scobes on Henry St (Friars).Grabbed one of them ,he panicked said his bud had the wallet,so grabbed no 2 .Ten effin mins waiting for justice to come 300 yds down the road with an ever increasing no of their buds gathering across the road.Nervy but would do it again.

• Advertisement
Advertisement