Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Most Effective Stand UP Fighting Style In MMA.

• 23-01-2009 8:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

I would like to get everyones point of view on stand up fighting styles in MMA;
    • Which style do you think is the most effective in Mixed Martial Arts today.
    • I think Maui Thai is the most well rounded; but that’s open for debit.
    • And please no bitching!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Chris89

I would say punching and kicking is the most effective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭bjj-fighter

I think we can safely say Muay Thai is.Other ones like boxing or Kickboxing work to an extent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Clive

I would like to get everyones point of view on stand up fighting styles in MMA;

Wrestling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

The Muay Thai practised by the Dutch is known as Dutch Kickboxing, they have better punching combos than Muay Thai so I'll go for that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Muay Thai is the only one really used by fighters with the exception of a few kickboxers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭agardiner22

Thai boxing especially focusing in the clinch with some dirty boxing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

One way of finding out what's best is look at who is best.

All the best train in thai, boxing, and wrestling. This thread is nonsensical. There are a few people that train in Karate but by in large, the most important thing, which is the training method, stays the same.

IF you wanted to get better at MMA as a beginner but there was no MMA club in your area or you could only do MMA one day a week but there was a boxing class and a thai boxing class on at the same day I'd try both and see which suited your game better.

Muay Thai offers the clinch, elbows, knees, kicks. But boxing is better at training the punching, which, at the end of the day is the most important part of striking.

How the head movement, foot work all relates is beyond my understanding but I think it's a big enough change from both when moving to MMA.

Kickboxing is hard to define but I'm sure at it's best it looks like boxing with kicks and the kicks at their best are the same as thai boxers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

boxing wins most stand up matches in mma, with some thai boxing thrown in with boxing, the footwork and punches are the most important part of mma striking-all the wrestlers mainly train boxing. And the best stand up fighters in mma tend to heavily focus on boxing, thats not to say the others dont need to be trained also. Thats my opinion.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭Sm0ke

arlovski is the best standup style ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 trojan Fury

Sm0ke wrote: »
    arlovski is the best standup style ;)

Haha, the Best reply so far.:)

• Advertisement

Haha, the Best reply so far.:)

Fedor will prove that to be null and void soon enough;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 trojan Fury

Fedor will prove that to be null and void soon enough;)

that'll be some fight;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

MMA is too young a sport to tell.
    At first boxing was by far the more dominant.
    Even now I'd still say the boxing skill set just about holds dominance.
    Muay Thai is taking over.
    The leg kicks, and knees have shown themselves to be devastating, and a lot of MMA fighters are learning that the hard way.

Personally I think that Karate will become more and more prevalent in the coming years.
    Unlike the other striking styles, the various Karate forms were developed almost in conjunction with the grappling arts.
    Karate took Judo and Jujitsu into consideration so to speak.
    While Karate and Judo were the samurai arts, and Jujitsu the commoner forms, Karate evolved taking all arts into consideration.
    Anybody who's trained properly with Karate will know that unlike Boxing/Kickboxing/Thai Boxing etc, Karate has a lot of forms dedicated to avoiding and escaping clinches, how to escape from the ground, pressure points and target areas to neutralise submissions.
    The stuff I've learned really help me in training, more so than anything I've learned in boxing and kickboxing.

It's the same with Jujitsu and Judo, they've all been formed together, so I think that they are more encompassing.

Look at K1.
    At first it was Kickboxers dominating (Hunt/Le Banner/Aerts/Hoost).
    Then for a while Thai boxing took over Bonjasky being the most prevalent exponent.
    Lately Karate seems dominant, Schilt/Feitosa and so on.

It comes in waves, because as soon as one skill set becomes dominant, the weakness in relying on it will be found in another.

Basically, the likes of MMA and K1 are helping all skill sets evolve, and it'll be a long time before the perfect amalgamation of all is found.
    Like I said, it's a young sport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

MMA is too young a sport to tell.
    At first boxing was by far the more dominant.
    Even now I'd still say the boxing skill set just about holds dominance.
    Muay Thai is taking over.
    The leg kicks, and knees have shown themselves to be devastating, and a lot of MMA fighters are learning that the hard way.

Personally I think that Karate will become more and more prevalent in the coming years.
    Unlike the other striking styles, the various Karate forms were developed almost in conjunction with the grappling arts.
    Karate took Judo and Jujitsu into consideration so to speak.
    While Karate and Judo were the samurai arts, and Jujitsu the commoner forms, Karate evolved taking all arts into consideration.
    Anybody who's trained properly with Karate will know that unlike Boxing/Kickboxing/Thai Boxing etc, Karate has a lot of forms dedicated to avoiding and escaping clinches, how to escape from the ground, pressure points and target areas to neutralise submissions.
    The stuff I've learned really help me in training, more so than anything I've learned in boxing and kickboxing.

It's the same with Jujitsu and Judo, they've all been formed together, so I think that they are more encompassing.

Look at K1.
    At first it was Kickboxers dominating (Hunt/Le Banner/Aerts/Hoost).
    Then for a while Thai boxing took over Bonjasky being the most prevalent exponent.
    Lately Karate seems dominant, Schilt/Feitosa and so on.

It comes in waves, because as soon as one skill set becomes dominant, the weakness in relying on it will be found in another.

Basically, the likes of MMA and K1 are helping all skill sets evolve, and it'll be a long time before the perfect amalgamation of all is found.
    Like I said, it's a young sport.
    I think one weapon which is totally underused in mma is the side kick of the lead leg. Cung le really shows the effectiveness of this technique, particuarly in the shamrock fight..

Karate seems to be the most cutting edge type style at the moment..funny, a few years ago I would have laughed at the idea of karate being so effective in the octagon. Anybody remember the kenpo guy who fought in one of the really earlier ufcs? He wore his gi and was trying to karate chop his opponent lol..needless to say he got competely mangled!

I think one weapon which is totally underused in mma is the side kick of the lead leg. Cung le really shows the effectiveness of this technique, particuarly in the shamrock fight..

Side kicks are extremely ineffective in MMA, it is easy to catch the leg and score a takedown. Cung Le practiced that technique all his life and can deliver it faster than any other MMA fighter. It would take years to get that technique down to a tee. That is why we only see him do it in MMA.

. Anybody remember the kenpo guy who fought in one of the really earlier ufcs? He wore his gi and was trying to karate chop his opponent lol..needless to say he got competely mangled!

No, the only 2 kenpo guys in the early UFC's were Zane Frazer, who got his ass handed to him by a kickboxer and Keith Hackney who defeated a 600lb sumo wrestler and punched Joe Son 30 times in the balls. He was not badly outclassed in the UFC, only losing to Royce Gracie and Marco Ruas. You must be thinking of another art.

Cung Le practiced that technique all his life and can deliver it faster than any other MMA fighter. It would take years to get that technique down to a tee. That is why we only see him do it in MMA.

True. But with the evolution of the striking game I think more mma fighters could start using it..

No, the only 2 kenpo guys in the early UFC's were Zane Frazer, who got his ass handed to him by a kickboxer and Keith Hackney who defeated a 600lb sumo wrestler and punched Joe Son 30 times in the balls. He was not badly outclassed in the UFC, only losing to Royce Gracie and Marco Ruas. You must be thinking of another art.
    maybe it wasnt kenpo then..Some little blonde karate dude got beaten half to death by some big black bloke..It was in one of the ufc's from 2 - 10..This dude was lying on ground, hands up karate kid style, trying to chop at the guys leg, while his opponent dutifully beat the living sh*t out of him. The guy had so much faith in his technique, he wouldnt abadon it..

Funny sh*t altogether..

maybe it wasnt kenpo then..Some little blonde karate dude got beaten half to death by some big black bloke..It was in one of the ufc's from 2 - 10..This dude was lying on ground, hands up karate kid style, trying to chop at the guys leg, while his opponent dutifully beat the living sh*t out of him. The guy had so much faith in his technique, he wouldnt abadon it..

Funny sh*t altogether..

I think I remember that one, is this the guy? http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Fred-Ettish-36 he was beaten up badly by the black guy and eventually tapped to a choke.

I think I remember that one, is this the guy? http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Fred-Ettish-36 he was beaten up badly by the black guy and eventually tapped to a choke.
    thats him lol. The dudes a legend :D

• Advertisement

Heres the vid.

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=FwKPMEiiobk&feature=related

His style is kenpo btw, it says it at the start.. Apparantly he was a 5th degree blackbelt!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Roper

This thread made me spit out my water. Seriously I just wiped it off my keyboard.

Heres the vid.

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=FwKPMEiiobk&feature=related

His style is kenpo btw, it says it at the start.. Apparantly he was a 5th degree blackbelt!

He is not wearing a Kenpo Gi, he does not do American Kenpo Karate he does something else. This will explain http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kempo

He is not wearing a Kenpo Gi, he does not do American Kenpo Karate he does something else. This will explain http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kempo
    relax dude.. the announcer said kenpo or kempo or whatever..Im just relaying what he said!

Whatever he did sucked ass anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Trev UOC

cowzerp wrote: »
    boxing wins most stand up matches in mma, with some thai boxing thrown in with boxing, the footwork and punches are the most important part of mma striking-all the wrestlers mainly train boxing. And the best stand up fighters in mma tend to heavily focus on boxing, thats not to say the others dont need to be trained also. Thats my opinion.

Yip!! I agree with cowzerp, Boxing is great if you got fast hands your oponent wont know whats going on, I train with a dude who floored Kenny Eagan in the All Irelands yrs ago and holy bang Batman !!! Ya wouldnt know whats goin on. lol.:D:D:D:D thro in a few kicks and ur flyin!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭ryoishin

Keep the style for your shorts.

Once you have a coach who addresses your weaknesses and helps your game so you push your attributes on your opponents weakness then your on the right road.

Although if you cant punch your in trouble!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭angeldance

I'd have to say kickboxing, but then again I'm bias ;)

Although we also do alot of boxing training too, movement, using distance and reach to your advantage so your not to get caught up with your opponent. I always combine my kicks with puches as I'd be the first to admit that my kicks aren't the best, I'd much rather use my hands. xx

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭cagefan

I think no one style is enough, it has to be a combination of boxing's footwork and punching combinations with the devastating knees and elbows of Thai boxing. Kickboxing can throw in a few kicks which might suprise an opponent but really..the are probably only effective in a kickboxing match

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭angeldance

cagefan wrote: »
    I think no one style is enough, it has to be a combination of boxing's footwork and punching combinations with the devastating knees and elbows of Thai boxing. Kickboxing can throw in a few kicks which might suprise an opponent but really..the are probably only effective in a kickboxing match

I do actually agree with you. There are kicks that I would never use in a full contact kickboxing fight. Hook, Axe and Spinning side kick (but that last one is because I'm so unbelievably slow at it - and usely miss :o) as I would most likely get floored whilst trying to do them. So they be saved for semi-contact. I've seen some people that have amazing kicks and can get away with using spinning kicks etc. x

• Advertisement

cagefan wrote: »
    I think no one style is enough

True. We are at the stage now were you need "mma striking" to compete at a high level. Personally I think, provided your decent in all areas, fast and strong punching is up there as the most valuable skill to possess.

Advertisement