Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Football Manager Live

Options
  • 23-01-2009 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭

Has anyone bought this yet?

Reviews seem fairly good and I'm thinking about getting it in awhile - just wondering what people make of it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Ardscoil Ris

I would if I didn't have to pay monthly fees like some nerdy MMO loser.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭EireEV

I bought it and am extremely impressed - would defo recommend it even with the subscription fees - first 4 months come free when you buy the game.

The only loser here is you Ardscoil Ris ya big gimp !

EireEV wrote: »
    I bought it and am extremely impressed - would defo recommend it even with the subscription fees - first 4 months come free when you buy the game.

The only loser here is you Ardscoil Ris ya big gimp !

Ha being a gimp is great. Meet lots of interesting people. Get to wear some outrageous costumes and what not.

I don't see a point to it. It's like paying monthly fee's for playing an advanced Fantasy football game. However, I really don't see a point when FM itself can be played online.

Playing FM alone at 3am with a mug a tea in one had and the other being used to make tactical adjustments when your 4-0 down is the way it's ment to be played. Just my opinion.

Anyway I didn't say the game was bad or I wouldn't recommend it. I just said I don't agree with monthly fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭V9

Playing FM alone at 3am with a mug a tea in one had and the other being used to make tactical adjustments when your 4-0 down is the way it's ment to be played. Just my opinion.

Truth!

But Metallica do not suck :P :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭doyler442

Very surprised that there seems to be only one person here who has played it.

I bought it last night to try it out - four months free subscription to try it so I said why not?

And I must admit I'm hooked straight away - playing against someone is good fun and even better with a last minute strike, even though it was only fora draw.

I definetly recommend it

• Advertisement

Yeah it's completely addictive IMO.

There's nothing like playing against another human in my opinion - pitting your wits against another brain rather than the games AI.

There loads of people from Ireland signed up in the gameworld I'm in so like you doyler I'm at a loss to explain lack of reaction to this post and general media coverage of the game here in Ireland.

What gameworkd are you in doyler? Fancy a friendly later this evening?

You two realise that FM has it's own online features?

I do yes but too hard to get everybody on and playing fixtures as per schedule and would not say too many communities exist that use this functionality.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭doyler442

You two realise that FM has it's own online features?

Yeah but its not really the same in the way that you are still playing the computer as well unless there is a big bunch of players, although I did play in one with 2 other people and it was a good laugh until I got the sack ha.
    What gameworkd are you in doyler? Fancy a friendly later this evening?

I joined a gamerworld called "Keane" - I'll definetly give you a game later, jsut let me know what time your on and your username.

I'm in Larsson.

Not too sure if we can play each other because we are in different gameworlds.

Anyway my team name is EireEV Comos so check me out later about 9pm or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

Played the beta and I was hooked for about a week and then the novelty wore off.

I realise there has been an update so maybe things have improved but I felt it all to random and that I didn't have enough control over things. I really disliked the feature where you have to get skills to play the game properly. Like you can't use tactics like you normally would, it could take month to be able to use all the options on your tactics screen and then still you'd be neglecting all the other parts of the skills that you haven't focused on making other parts of the game unplayable. They say you can play as little or as much as you want but to be anyway decent you have to play a hell of a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

never knew tehre was online features in the original FM.... i had the game two years ago and tahts wat really bugged me.. i love the idea of playing my mates in a league piting ourselves against each othr and when the live one came out was happy but if u can do it in the oriigal FM wats the point?
    and how do u do it in the original?

never knew tehre was online features in the original FM.... i had the game two years ago and tahts wat really bugged me.. i love the idea of playing my mates in a league piting ourselves against each othr and when the live one came out was happy but if u can do it in the oriigal FM wats the point?
    and how do u do it in the original?

What you need:

FM disk
    Internet connection
    Both of you need to have the same patch
    Hamachi << Link

How to set it up:

Install hamachi, load it up -- in the taskbar (bottom right) click the flashing electrode/the 3 ball'd logo

When it's loaded up you should have this:

To create a network for your friend and your FM game click the orb which is blue in my image

Click Create a new network, type in your network name (one which your friend can recongnise). Then a password. *might help if your friend has MSN so you can tell him the password*

Then the next step is for your friend, you should now be connected to the network created. Tell your friend to click on the same orb (blue one in my image) and to click on join exisiting network. Type in the network name you created and the password you created. He/she should now have joined the network.

How to play:

The host must create the game before any of this and should have added himself as a manager.

Now you must send your pal your IP address as shown on hamachi screen.

He/she gets it must load up FM and go to Network/Play online then go to Join other server and paste in the IP address you sent.

The game should now appear in the local servers.

Join the game and add yourself as manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Got this today. I'm in the Molby gameworld, get at me for friendlies tomorrow night. Played my first tonight and drew 2-2 having been up 2 nil at half time, seems like a good game so far anyways.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Im playing in Le Tiss at the min havent had much time to get going but my game world doesnt actually start till the 4th. have an ok team, but finding it hard to get a enough players for a good squad, onle one ml and one mr at the min, have 3 good striker s and some good defenders and dm's though.

I also have Ronnie O'Brien :(

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭ZZR1100

DL it last week and loving it atmo.
    its the first time ive played a FM game as i know fa about football.
    im in laudrup and 50th in the rankings atmo which im happy with considering i didnt buy any stars.
    gg though

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭stephenl15

Anybody play this and miss it? For me, it is comfortably the best game I have ever played and ever will play.

Absolutely fantastic and miss it so much. I remember waiting up until after 12 every night just to see if I went up or down in the rankings.

Don't understand how it didn't have enough interest to keep going :(

• Registered Users Posts: 15,243 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

stephenl15 wrote: »
    Anybody play this and miss it? For me, it is comfortably the best game I have ever played and ever will play.

Absolutely fantastic and miss it so much. I remember waiting up until after 12 every night just to see if I went up or down in the rankings.

Don't understand how it didn't have enough interest to keep going :(

Football Manager Online is in open beta right now (Korea only). Miles Jacobson said they might release it in the West after Korea, Japan, China etc.

Might be an alternative to FML.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭gerp99

Oat23 wrote: »
    Football Manager Online is in open beta right now (Korea only). Miles Jacobson said they might release it in the West after Korea, Japan, China etc.

Might be an alternative to FML.

this has made my day. Had a serious team in it. Koke and Gerson from the start. Best management game around

• Registered Users Posts: 15,243 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

gerp99 wrote: »
    this has made my day. Had a serious team in it. Koke and Gerson from the start. Best management game around

There are some videos on people playing the beta on youtube if you want to see what the interface looks like. I never played FML, so I'm not sure if it's similar (name makes it sound the same though!).

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=%ED%92%8B%EB%B3%BC+%EB%A7%A4%EB%8B%88%EC%A0%80+%EC%98%A8%EB%9D%BC%EC%9D%B8

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭stephenl15

I had so many cult heroes on it over the years - Andre Bikey corner banger supreme!! Noel Hunt getting sent off on his debut for me with the commentator saying "and it was a great right hook too"

Advertisement