Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Internationals coverage in Oz

• 23-01-2009 8:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭

Xavi might be able to help with this one :)

Im abandoning this sinking ship next month, asked this in the Oz forum, lad said Setanta would normally show them but didnt know what would happen if it clashed with a big England game. Would Fox Soccer or whoever pick it up I wonder......

Anyway, original question being:

Is there always at least one channel available in Australia that always without fail shows Irish World Cup qualifiers live? I know the Ireland-Poland friendly was shown when I was on holiday and this wouldnt exactly be a high demand game, is there always coverage broadcast in the main Irish or sports bars?

Also, what about in more rural areas? To qualify for the 2nd year, and to escape the Sydney winter, I will unfortunately have to head to the likes of Cairns or Darwin (Ive no interest in anywhere bar Sydney really except for a week long or weekend long trip, cant imagine any reason to take me to the likes of Perth or Adelaide at all tbh). Is there usually spots up in those areas showing the football?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Short answer - no, there are no guarantess. The last one wasn't shown at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Bollocks :( There seemed to be quite a few channels showing EPL (Setanta, Fox Soccer, I think ESPN was available as well). Are RTE live online streams available abroad? (I know for some of that type of stuff it is Ireland only)

Which last match are you referring to, the last qualifier? If you mean the Poland match I was chattin to an English lad who had seen it live (dunno if it clashed with England Germany).

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Cairns and Darwin aren't rural, in fact they are hives of tourist activity, with loads of Oirish bars.

If Setanta have the games on, you'll definitely get to see the game in an Irish Bar, when I was there in 05/06 we saw all the Ireland games that were on at the time.

Expect to pay ~AUS$20 in to the bar to see the matches though.

edit - lol sorry, it's actually Des here :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Cairns and Darwin aren't rural, in fact they are hives of tourist activity, with loads of Oirish bars.

If Setanta have the games on, you'll definitely get to see the game in an Irish Bar, when I was there in 05/06 we saw all the Ireland games that were on at the time.

Expect to pay ~AUS$20 in to the bar to see the matches though.

edit - lol sorry, it's actually Des here :)

WTF

Is that serious or are you taking the piss ?

redout wrote: »
    WTF

Is that serious or are you taking the piss ?

Paying ten euro into a pub that probably sells 2.70 euro pints? A price well worth paying in my books.

Cheers Xavi and Pink Fluffy Cuddly Little Bunny Wabbit Des ;)

Asked this on the Oz forum, but in the event Setanta decides to show the ENgland matches if they clash, would many pubs bother hooking a tv up to the RTE online stream?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

I would rather stay home with a few tins and look for an online link than pay $20 to watch Ireland. Everyone to their own.

redout wrote: »
    I would rather stay home with a few tins and look for an online link than pay $20 to watch Ireland. Everyone to their own.

Oddly enough in Oz you cant get cans of beer, only bottles, yet you can buy cans of pre mixed JD and coke :confused: :pac:

I hate watching football, or indeed films or tv shows, off a computer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

shane86 wrote: »
    Oddly enough in Oz you cant get cans of beer, only bottles, yet you can buy cans of pre mixed JD and coke :confused: :pac:

I hate watching football, or indeed films or tv shows, off a computer.

You obviously haven't discovered the wonder that is Emu Export! VB also comes in cans.

All the Irish pubs charge $20 in for the GAA so if the soccer was on it'd be the same.

Advertisement