Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to rent in Dublin?

Options
  • 23-01-2009 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

So apologies for what will be a long post but I was hoping for some solid advice as my apartment's lease is up in April and I think it's finally time to move...

I first moved to Dublin about 6 years ago and it was a hassle getting an apartment back then... calls not returned, arrogant agents, complete kips at insane prices - I'm hoping things will be different now.

I finally found a one bedroom I was happy with and went for it, in the city center. However, over the years, I've become less interested in living here, due to noise levels primarily and my work arrangements have changed in the last year and a half... I've also been annoyed by the attitude of the agent and landlord but I won't go into that - suffice to say, myself and my wife have been great tenants and have gotten treated like crap for it. I didn't move most years because of how inconvenient it would be for a variety of reasons but it's time.

They have also raised the rent by €100 two years in a row and it is now an unrealistic €1050, which I don't think this place is worth at all. Looking around on daft, it seems you might even be able to get a two bedroom in places for that and that's my question really:

With a budget of €1000 a month and given that I work in Leopardstown (but need to get to Kevin street 4 nights a week for classes), especially if looking for a two bedroom, where would people recommend moving to? Somewhere quiet would be nice :). Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Cabinteely/Leopardstown/Stillorgan?

Perfect for work and reasonable public transport in and out of college in the evenings.....?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭dny123456

Has to be somewhere along the 46A route.... stillorgan maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

Thanks... Cabinteely I'm not familiar with but looked it up: 43 properties to rent on daft right now, only 2 of which are at the <= €1000 mark...

Leopardstown would be great but way outside any realistic budget: 24 properties to rent, cheapest one starting at €1400!

Stillorgan seems like the best bet so far, with 62 properties to rent, though most are at the €1100 mark starting point...

The problem is not "where to rent in Dublin if money was no concern" but where to rent within my budget that would still be realistic for work/college, etc. It doesn't seem to me the rental market has changed so much TBH, with a lot of properties being offered at completely unrealistic prices still.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Does your wife need to get any places in particular too? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

You can haggle on that €1,100 asking price to bring it down to €1,000. Remember some of those places might be vacant for a few months and would be glad to get the dosh as its a renters market.

• Advertisement

You are comparing renting a house with a pokey apartment in the city centre- so you're not exactly comparing like with like. Rents have been in freefall too though- the 43 properties in Cabinteely are testimony to the fact that the landlords simply have not accepted that the market has fallen.......

I wouldn't accept the asking prices at face value- its entirely acceptable at the moment to offer a couple of hundred less than asking- its in a landlords interest to have someone in there, albeit at less than they anticipated, than to have the property vacant.

If you see a few you're interested in- regardless of the asking price- offer what you're willing to pay. As you can see the length of time its taking to let property has increased massively- regardless of what landlords want- they have to accept reality.

Ps- Cabinteely is just further down the road than Stillorgan (its on the 84 bus route, which isn't nearly as frequent as the 46A- which is the most reliable bus route in the country). Rents would tend to be 20-25% cheaper there than Stillorgan, its an established area, not a massive amount of amenities, but a nice enough area nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

Does your wife need to get any places in particular too? :D

She gets moved around in her job, but mostly ends up being based in Leopardstown so she can get a lift in with me most of time...
    smccarrick wrote: »
    You are comparing renting a house with a pokey apartment in the city centre- so you're not exactly comparing like with like.

I didn't think I was - the only two properties in Cabinteely that come in at the €1000 mark are 1 bedroom apartments... the usual lack of decent photos on the ads themselves makes it difficult to judge how they may compare to where I currently am.
    Rents have been in freefall too though- the 43 properties in Cabinteely are testimony to the fact that the landlords simply have not accepted that the market has fallen........

Very true, but would any of these landlords be likely to accept low-ball offers by a couple of hundred if they still don't get it that the asking price is simply not realistic any longer? That's one of my gripes: we keep hearing about falling prices in the rental market, but for the most part, I just don't see this reflected in current asking prices...
    I wouldn't accept the asking prices at face value- its entirely acceptable at the moment to offer a couple of hundred less than asking- its in a landlords interest to have someone in there, albeit at less than they anticipated, than to have the property vacant.

Thanks - that is a solid tip I've heard elsewhere too and I just need to be able to haggle more, I usually don't, but in today's market, it's essential I think. Last time I was actively looking to rent, prices were sky high and landlords/agents treated you as if they were doing you a favor to rent out even the biggest dump to you!

I'm not too concerned about lack of public transport TBH either, I ride a motorcycle to work year round and even fairly heavy traffic shouldn't be an issue. Of course, if it was an area well serviced by bus/close to the southbound Luas, it would definitely be helpful...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭dny123456

Ps- Cabinteely is just further down the road than Stillorgan (its on the 84 bus route, which isn't nearly as frequent as the 46A- which is the most reliable bus route in the country). Rents would tend to be 20-25% cheaper there than Stillorgan, its an established area, not a massive amount of amenities, but a nice enough area nonetheless.

It's a lot further from town though than Stillorgan. Stillorgan would be around half way point, i used to cycle it every day!

Deansgrange would be better than Cabinteely for buses, although I think one of the 46 family go to cabinteely, maybe 46C, very infrequent though. Wouldnt recommend it, without a car.

Not sure about rents in Deansgrange, more of a settled area, so might be more expensive. Bus takes about 40 mins to town. 25 from stillorgan.

dny123456 wrote: »
    It's a lot further from town though than Stillorgan. Stillorgan would be around half way point, i used to cycle it every day!

Deansgrange would be better than Cabinteely for buses, although I think one of the 46 family go to cabinteely, maybe 46C, very infrequent though. Wouldnt recommend it, without a car.

Not sure about rents in Deansgrange, more of a settled area, so might be more expensive. Bus takes about 40 mins to town. 25 from stillorgan.

I was comparing it to Sandyford where the OP and his wife both work though- so town doesn't really enter the equation- other than evening classes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Banjoseph

You could try Monkstown. There plently of 1 beds around the €1000 at the moment. You'll be on the 46a route and reasonably near the Dart as well.

• Advertisement
Advertisement