Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LAPTOPS DIRECT

Options
  • 23-01-2009 8:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭

In November last I ordered an Acer Laptop from LaptopsDirect.ie and a Licence Key for Office 2007. When I received the order in early December I noted that it did not contain the Licence key, but a copied version of Office 2007. I rang the companies English office and I was advised that they would look into the matter. Subsequently I received a number of phone calls from the company advising me that that they had a great deal in extending warranty service. Each time I raised the issue of the Licence Key, I was assured that they would look after for me. About a week ago I sought out a supervisor and was advised that X1 (Supervisor) was not available, but X2 (I assume deputy) would check the stores records to see if they had an extra unit in stock. Today I rang again and sought X1 and have now been advised by E Mail “as you contacted us outside of the 48-hour period we require”. I have searched all the correspondence from this company and this notice is not obvious to me.

Please advise what options I have?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Contact Microsoft. Advise that you believe you've been sold a illegal copy of Office 2007.

Also, be a good idea to remove staff members names from the forum.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

If you are concerned you baught a pirated CD Key, please inform Microsoft about the matter, a business profiting from piracy is taken very seriously by microsoft, and as a result, you may receive a full copy of office from microsoft for nothing for making them aware

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭rayh

Random wrote: »
    Contact Microsoft. Advise that you believe you've been sold a illegal copy of Office 2007.

Also, be a good idea to remove staff members names from the forum.

Thanks and I have edited the names and apologies for the oversight

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Chonker

Was the security seal opened on your laptop when it arrived. Meaning had they opened it somewhere between acer distribution and your house to put the "Pirate software" on. This may be an Acer issue.

Chonker wrote: »
    Was the security seal opened on your laptop when it arrived. Meaning had they opened it somewhere between acer distribution and your house to put the "Pirate software" on. This may be an Acer issue.

Sorry for delay in response - No consignment was sealed and copied discs were included in an envelope and marked on the discs in hand writing "Office 07" and under this in what would appear to have been produced by a Stencile "Recovery Disc 1 & 2 LaptopsDirect.co.uk".

The CDs used are TDK CD-R80 700MB 80min up to 52x Speed and blue in colour.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

That's unbelievable.
    How do they think they could get away with that?
    Did you pay full price for the licence key or was it 'on offer'?

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Chonker

rayh wrote: »
    Sorry for delay in response - No consignment was sealed and copied discs were included in an envelope and marked on the discs in hand writing "Office 07" and under this in what would appear to have been produced by a Stencile "Recovery Disc 1 & 2 LaptopsDirect.co.uk".

The CDs used are TDK CD-R80 700MB 80min up to 52x Speed and blue in colour.

Holy Sh*t. That aint right. Let them know asap that you will be informing MS about the copied CD's. See what they say. Thats crazy.

jimbo78 wrote: »
    That's unbelievable.
    How do they think they could get away with that?
    Did you pay full price for the licence key or was it 'on offer'?

My order was for an ACER 5730, carry bag and accessories and Microsoft Office Professional 2007 as per http://www.laptopsdirect.ie/Microsoft_Office_2007_Pro_OEM_269-14071/version.asp. I only ordered the key as Office 2007 Professional 60 day trial came preinstalled with the laptop.

I have informed MS and received acknowledgement - I will await their deliberations

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Paddyo

I presume that it was an OEM version.

The copied CDs are no good without the licence key.

The keys come in a sealed package without CDs, and you get a key to unlock the version, which you have paid for. When you run the trial, preinstalled version, you will be asked for the key.

Quite simply they still owe you the key

They should not send out copied CDs as you are supposed to request these directly from Microsoft at a price of approx €10.00.

Paddyo

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Johnnio13

Rayh,
    Can you let us know MS response as I know of someone in the same situation.

• Advertisement

Johnnio13 wrote: »
    Rayh,
    Can you let us know MS response as I know of someone in the same situation.

Yes I will keep the forum posted

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Did you pay extra for their pre-inspection thingy? As far as I know this includes examining the system for dead pixels, installing any software, and generating the recovery disks.

MOH wrote: »
    Did you pay extra for their pre-inspection thingy? As far as I know this includes examining the system for dead pixels, installing any software, and generating the recovery disks.

No, its just as Paddyo says. The machine was supplied with an OEM 60 day trial version installed and as I need Access for my project, therefore my need for the Professional version.

I should not have received any CDs, just the key for the full version for which I was charges £173.89.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I take it that Laptopsdirect still have not supplied the CD Key you payed for then?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

i cant get past the address stage of ordering online. Keep getting an error saying ring sales line.

rayh wrote: »
    Yes I will keep the forum posted

Today my Trial Version of Office 2007 has expired and I received a response from Microsoft which contained the following sentence

"Our staff promptly reviews every submission we receive, but due to the sensitive legal nature of these matters, it is not possible for us to provide feedback or updates about actions taken on your report."

So it now appears that I either revert to my existing copy Office 2003 or purchase another 2007 Licence Key - so much for Anti-piracy support and the consumer?

Advertisement