Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus hand luggage check from Dublin?

Options
  • 23-01-2009 9:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

I'm flying from Dublin to Paris tomorrow and I heard that Aerlingus checked the weigth of hand luggages. Is that true from Dublin? How much is it per kilogramm? Would you take the risk of being over the 6kilos limit?

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭FoldedShirt

A couple of weeks ago, Ryanair weighed my hand luggage in Dublin airport. Never happened to me before in any airport. Ryanair allow 10kg and I had 9.9kg. Is this a new policy in Dublin airport? It makes a lot of sense to me. The last thing you need in turbulence is 15kg bags falling out of the bins, killing anyone sitting in an aisle seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭GeturGun

I had my handluggage weighed by Ryanair (at the check in desk) before but never by Aer Lingus.
    I would say so long as it's a fairly standard cabin bag size they probably won't even notice it when you are boarding.
    I don't know that they have scales at the boarding gate anyway? If all you are bringing is handluggage (?) you won't be going near the bag drop desk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭oztots

I know ryanair have started doing it as people were abusing the system. I'm fairly sure i posted on this before!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Foggy43

All airlines are suffering the results of the world wide recession. In the past there are things you may have got away with. While this recession continues you will find you may not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

You will no doubt be ok in Dublin , I have never seen any issue there with EI.

However Paris is another matter , the staff there are the most horrible rude people I have ever dealt with. They did indeed stop me about 1 year ago because my laptop bag was ' too heavy ' , this is the same laptop bag ( small rucksack type bag not stuffed ) that I have travelled ( and still travel ) constantly with.

On Ryanair going thru Dublin on Tuesday last week I noticed that all the Ryanair customers had ' approved hand baggage ' stickers on their hand luggage, so they are obviously being checked.

I sometimes wonder , the size of some peoples' handbaggage astounds me , they strain to put this huge suitcase in the overheads .........

( actually slight correction the staff in CDG are not EI's but their ground handling agents )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Foggy43

I got this from a Ryanair forum in the UK.

Ryanair enforces a one bag policy on hand luggage Customers to be charged £30 on excess hand luggage
    21 January 2009

Ryanair passengers carrying more than one piece of hand luggage will now be charged a penalty fee of £30 by the airline.
    In a stark warning to passengers Ryanair has said it will now operate a one-person-one-bag policy on hand luggage and passengers with more than one bag will have to check them into the hold.
    Strict baggage rules

The no-frills carrier said items such as women’s handbags and laptops will have to be placed in the same bag to avoid having to check-in any luggage.
    The strict rules have been implemented following an alleged incident with one passenger who was intending to travel with five pieces of hand luggage, the airline claimed. Ryanair also said it had noticed a trend towards a growing number of passengers carrying more than one piece of hand luggage.
    Increased number of bags in hand luggage

This trend is not exclusive to Ryanair. As increasing numbers of airlines have begun charging to check baggage into the hold, the number of passengers eschewing hold luggage for hand baggage has also increased.
    Ryanair’s strong message was issued in a statement yesterday when the airline announced that there will be ‘no exceptions’ to their tough baggage policy.
    Penalty charge

The new crack-down on extra hand luggage could become costly for any passengers who gets caught out as Ryanair will charge £30 to any passenger arriving at the departure with more than one bag.
    Checking bags into the hold on Ryanair costs £8 per person per flight for each bag checked into the hold at the airport (£5 if checked-in online). In addition, the airline also charges £4 per flight to use the check-in desk.
    The airline’s current free cabin baggage allowance is 10kg per person which will now be restricted to one bag. Ryanair said this was to ‘ensure fairness to all passengers’.
    A spokesperson for the airline said: ‘Ryanair’s generous cabin baggage allowance permits passengers to carry one piece of cabin baggage of up to 10kg onto our aircraft. Due to the large increase in passengers abusing this allowance, Ryanair will now charge passengers for each additional piece of carry on luggage.’
    [/quote]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

I went to germany last year.Out of a queue of at least 20 people all with some type of hand luggage i was the only one that had their hand luggage weighed.I was over the weight but refused to pay anymore money as no one else was stopped.
    Girl at desk said she would call security and that i would not get through the gate , i did get through no problem.
    My backup plan if stopped was to empty the case and wear everything through the gate.Obviously this would have meant a prolonged security check as i removed my 3 pairs of shoes , my 4 belts and my homemade turban consisting of underwear,trousers,socks and shirts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭tonyj

Aer lingus check-in staff weighed my cabin case at edinburgh airport. I was 2kg over the limit. They wanted £15

I asked them for my bag back so I could remove some items, they refused at first. I told them I had apples and some liquids I needed to dispose of. I went around the corner and started emptying my bag. I put on two jackets and filled my pockets with books, toiletries etc. I then found an empty desk and weighed the bag - 5.7kg

When I checked in again they started warning me not to put stuff back into the bag, as they were planning to weigh it again at the gate (bluff) I said that was fine, as I'd disposed of the apples and was wearing the rest of the stuff.

Got to the gate and onto the plane carrying a 5.7kg bag and a 10kg jacket full of my stuff. Took longer than usual to get through security like that as well. However, I refused to pay the £15 when there were other passengers who checked in online getting away with bags obviously over the limit (and more than one bag in some cases)

Unenforceable rule which will just lead to unpleasant scenes at the check-in desk, and the ridiculous sight of aer lingus customers struggling through duty free wearing the contents of their luggage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 risteard85

Hi all,

Not sure if anybody can help me but a friend on mine is travelling to london on friday and booked and paid over the internet. At the time she didn't check in any bags as she was not taking any bt now the whole trip is changed and she needs to take bags. I cant find on the website the rules about "adding" luggage after the booking. Is it possible to take the luggage and pay up there or what will she need to do?Any help at all would be greatfull!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭herya

In Aer Lingus it is possible, you pay something like 15 or 18 euro per checked in piece at the counter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭herya

tonyj wrote: »
    Aer lingus check-in staff weighed my cabin case at edinburgh airport. I was 2kg over the limit. They wanted £15

This is getting ridiculous. I have a 17" laptop and if I need to take it with me I'm not going to weigh my underwear and toiletries to see if I'm OK with the weight. And the 6kg limit is ludicrous, your trolley case is probably half of it if it's not flimsy enough to be all broken when baggage handlers are throwing them around.

Are they going to weigh people next? I'm size 10, will the guy twice my weight next to me be charged more? Surely I could have all my clothes with me if he wasn't there.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭padz

heya so how did u get on, did u take u laptop?any problems?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,561 ✭✭✭andy_g

a few years back when i worked at check-in then moved to dispatch we used to check pax hand luggage on turkish airlines but then again the amount of bags people traveling to lagos bring is unreal and depending on their class of travel judged their bag allowances

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 blubbercat

Hi Guys

Looks like this recession makes poeple a bit freaky (passengers and airlines). I found this thread here through Google.

My last flight was in flight was in January and till then I never had my handluggage checked (Usually a medium size backpack). On my 20 flights since 2006 the only people I saw getting their handluggage checked and/or refused either had massive bags or one of those small trolleys with wheels.

So far having a backpack seemed to pay off by drawing little or no attention to the crew since you have to carry it on yourself, even though I easily managed to exceed 10KG with that thing - mainly through my SLR Equipment and Laptop. The main point is just don't appear like you have a lot on yourself.

Just wanted to ask if there have been any updates in the last few weeks? I'm going to fly with Aer Lingus in the next couple of days. My main concern atm is their ludicrous limit of 6kg and I can't put any of that stuff as standard luggage (too expensive and delicate).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 jelly.bean

I’m flying with Aerlingus and I have checked in 2 bags, so can I take 2 suitcases weighing up to 20kg each or do both of them have to weigh not more than 20 kg? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dacian

blubbercat wrote: »
    Just wanted to ask if there have been any updates in the last few weeks? I'm going to fly with Aer Lingus ........... My main concern atm is their ludicrous limit of 6kg.

Just to let you know that EI have recently updated their cabin allowance. It is now 10KG, not sure of the size but you can find the info on the aerlingus website.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭davebuck

both suitcases can weigh no more than the 20kgs combined

Advertisement