Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit Question

Options
  • 23-01-2009 9:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi there, have a question about deposits on rental properties. Me and my mate just left a two bed flat in town. We removed everything, cleaned it thoroughly etc, and I was under the impression that I would get my deposit back in full unless I damaged or broke something but my landlord just told me that he is wants to get the place cleaned and the carpets cleaned and that will come out of my deposit to the sum of 300euro. Is this normal? I know the "wear and tear" definition, but it's so vague that it doesn't really clarify this. What have other people got taken out of deposits.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

To be honest- it sounds opportunistic on the part of the landlord. A landlord is entitled to write off all consumables in the property on a flatline basis over a 5 year period. Its normal for there to a level of wear and tear on furniture, carpets etc. Anything out of the ordinary would normally be considered a justifiable reason for witholding part of the deposit.

If you're unhappy you should contact the PRTB and initiate a dispute officially with your landlord.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 corkic

Hi thanks for the reply. I thought that, but he said the place should be in the exact same condition and since the carpet was new we were liable to get it cleaned. Are you supposed to get cleaners in yourself before you leave? I thought a lanlod would look after painting cleaning carpts etc every few years

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,603 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Your landlord is out if order as long as the carpets weren't manky. Contact the prtb on Monday

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Uncle Junior

Hey there, the other posters are correct, your LL is being quite opportunistic although - being kind - maybe he's operating by pre-PRTB standards. However nowadays it's clear that there is an expectation of normal wear & tear in a rental property and you should have grounds for taking a case to the PRTB. Before you do that do, consider that cases can take up to a year to process there (slow, I know, but at least it's cheaper than pursuing somebody through the Courts which was the only avenue open pre-PRTB) so I would recommend that you check out www.prtb.ie, do some reading and research on your rights as a tenant and then send the LL a polite but well-reasoned letter explaining those rights and asking that he return the deposit (less any genuine damages charges) as he's legally obliged to do. Otherwise, tell him, you will be obliged to seek resolution of this via the PRTB which could end up in a finding against him that could - eventually - be published on their website.

Advertisement