Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Cinema in Carlow

Options
  • 23-01-2009 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭

Whoever is the one that picks the movies that place shows should be shot - a lot!!! It never seems to play anything but the crap that gets panned by every single critic alive, sooooo annoying

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭aynon

only decent place i find is storm naas, not bothered any more going to carlow cinema....never play anything good. or if they do its on at a strange hour that noone will be able to go see..... and the never use the over head thing over the screens its cheap a4 print offs...... nothing is good about that cinema....NOTHING!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

Its a kip tbh, the amount of times I've had to que from halfway down the stairs to get popcorn etc is unreal. Any idea what the story is with the new one? Time to bump that old thread me thinks....

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭a5y

Tom10 wrote: »
    Whoever is the one that picks the movies that place shows should be shot - a lot!!! It never seems to play anything but the crap that gets panned by every single critic alive, sooooo annoying

Ah now be fair. They did show Iron Man. A long time ago and it was an obvious blockbuster to show, but they're not incompetant beyond belief. Still, if you changed "It never seems to..." to "It almost never seems to..." I'd agree completely.

The Day The Earth Stood Still was the last film I saw there. I think I might just keep it that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭shotgun mike

Supposdly whoever owns cw cinema has a ongoing dispute with one of the major film distrubtion companies, hence, a lack of blockbuster 'decent' films.

I knew a guy one time who was working there and took a **** in a plastic bag and left if hidden away in part of the cinema, was only found four months later....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭KateF

aynon wrote: »
    only decent place i find is storm naas, not bothered any more going to carlow cinema....never play anything good. or if they do its on at a strange hour that noone will be able to go see..... and the never use the over head thing over the screens its cheap a4 print offs...... nothing is good about that cinema....NOTHING!!
    Yeah I agree. I haven't went there in over a year I'd say. Useless. Storm cinema in Naas is the best around. Long way to go, but worth it really. There's one in Portlaoise as well I think

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Tom10 wrote: »
    The cinema in carlow...

Is crap, it's outdated, it's milking people of their money, playing the cheapest films they can get, not caring for what people want, run by a bunch of muppets...

There... :)

thats a polite way of putting, but yes, cinema isnt going to be on the top 10 list of anything, unless its a top 10 bad list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

If it wasn't printed in the commercial section of the irish independent I'd be thinking its an April Fool, but it seems the new cinema will finally open.

Wednesday April 01 2009

A state-of-the art multiscreen digital cinema complex is set to open in Carlow later this year.

The €10.4m project at Fairgreen Shopping Centre will provide seating for around 1500 in eight separate cinemas -- two of them equipped with the latest 3D technology.

It will be operated by Omniplex Cinemas which currently runs 16 cinemas in the Republic and eight in Northern Ireland.

"Our new Carlow complex will be the epitome of luxury,"

Mark Anderson, operations director at Omniplex Cinemas commented.

Due to open this side of Christmas, it will most closely resemble the pioneering Omniplex digital complex in Wexford -- the only cinema in the south providing latest digital technology.

The cinema will comprise around 4,180sqm on the first floor of the centre's second phase.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

That's great news, thanks darc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

deadly darc thanks

• Advertisement

apparently most of it is ready, but having problems staffing it(managers, more so then floor monkeys), this is not offical, but i heard it from my mate who works for the company that owns this cinema

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭cantona1111

Was in the new cinema in wexford and was very dissapointed with the sound a picture, was all excited about the new digital technology they were supposed to be using, but it was crap, didnt seem to clean out the cinemas between shows and had to que for 45 min even when I booked online. Maybe I went on a bad night and hopefull this one in carlow will all singing and all dancing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Will the problem with distributors still apply as it's an omniplex cinema?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

Great news for carlow town, i think it would have been a massive let down had it never gone through. Better late than ever. Hopefully the quality of the movies will match the quality of viewing.

Morf wrote: »
    Will the problem with distributors still apply as it's an omniplex cinema?
    not to my knowledge, as its actually owned by UCI.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭DANNY22XX

exellent news now i wont have to go to dublin to see a movie that isnt showing in Carlow

Happy Days:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭fitzyshea

Finally thank god for that thought it would be dropped with recession!

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭HugoIrl

Thats great, tired of going all the way to the dundrum showing centre for a decent cinema. Would it really be ready for the end of the year?

its ready now, all built etc. but need certain contracts for movies to be completed.

• Advertisement

aynon wrote: »
    its ready now, all built etc. but need certain contracts for movies to be completed.

I have to be blind. . . . I haven't seen anything that looks like a cinema near the fairgreen!!! :(

upstairs above next and all those shops

HugoIrl wrote: »
    I have to be blind. . . . I haven't seen anything that looks like a cinema near the fairgreen!!! :(

You'll only see the entrance. Don't feel bad. I'm just guessing where it is, I don't REALLY know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭carlowguy32

i was up in the galway digital one part of the g hotel complex and was very impressed, they have a bar and stuff for a drink or 2 before you go in, it makes abit of a difference, dont have to be rushing if your in a pub in town before hand

ShayK1 wrote: »
    You'll only see the entrance. Don't feel bad. I'm just guessing where it is, I don't REALLY know.

the entrance is between river island and next isn't it?

you are correct sir. a little black door, not like your little black number.

stick-dan wrote: »
    the entrance is between river island and next isn't it?

as far as I know yes, I'm guessing there's an emergency exit between next and new look...

Thought that also shay, any rumours of the opening date?

i was up in the galway digital one part of the g hotel complex and was very impressed, they have a bar and stuff for a drink or 2 before you go in, it makes abit of a difference, dont have to be rushing if your in a pub in town before hand

That place is brilliant, for an extra few euro you can get into screen 7 which has really fancy seats and a small table beside it to put your food and drinks

• Advertisement

hopefully will carlow be like this, eh on second thoughts we know it wont be.lol

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement