Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Cinema in Carlow

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

oxygen wrote: »
    Thanks for the suggestion guys. Ill be coming back from Dublin on the train later, so prob wont. More of a weekend thing. I defo will bring the car up to work and head to Naas after next time theres something I want to see on.

On the Carlow side of things, someone recommended I love you man, on Carlow tonight, think Ill give it a go.

it's ok not great, i usually go to portlaoise or liffey valley myself

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭aynon

I have only been in there once and didn't like it. Found it dirty and having to pay for your parking is ridiculous. I know Carlow is like this but the car park belongs to the shopping centre.

Much prefer using the UCI's, its a long drive but worth it especially for the big movie's you really want to see.
    now, storm is under UCI management, just allowing Storm to operate under the same name as it is a known brand in Naas, port laoise and Belfast. So Naas is a UCI cinema. no need to go to Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭HugoIrl

Liffey valley is the one i go to, can't say anything bout storm, never been

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭shenanigans1982

aynon wrote: »
    now, storm is under UCI management, just allowing Storm to operate under the same name as it is a known brand in Naas, port laoise and Belfast. So Naas is a UCI cinema. no need to go to Dublin.

But it lacks the butter popcorn of an actual UCI....still a need to go to Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭aynon

i dont think theyll mind if you bring your own butter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

Ah sure we'll have a new one soon, we all need to take a chill pill. How's the progress on that going by the way? Anyone here in the know?

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Quiet Lurker

Apparently they are in with planning just for fire cert and if that goes ok then it is late Sept/Early oct

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

Thanks for that can't wait to see it when it's done.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭fitzyshea

So any word on the cinema? Last I read here was that it was to open in Sept/Oct? Passed by it today and no sign of any work going on in there. I hope it hasnt been put on the back burner.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

fitzyshea wrote: »
    So any word on the cinema? Last I read here was that it was to open in Sept/Oct? Passed by it today and no sign of any work going on in there. I hope it hasnt been put on the back burner.

I've merged this with the other Cinema thread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 paddycanada

Haven't been on in a while and for that I apologize. I am Patrick the general manager of the current Carlow Cineplex cinema as well as the new Omniplex cinema that will open in Fairgreen Phase II.

I am glad to say that work on the new cinema starts on monday July 27th and we plan a soft opening prior to christmas this year.

I am also glad to say that this cinema will be 100% digital, it will have 8 screens and will also lead to us hiring close to 20-30 additional staff.

Anybody with some suggestions for either the new or current cinema please feel free to comment.

Thanks again,

Patrick Ryan
    General Manager
    Omniplex Carlow

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Tom10

Some Job that sounds alright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

Well thats just loads of good news, nice one paddy. 20-30 extra staff too!

What's a soft opening?

ShayK1 wrote: »
    What's a soft opening?

Well no big unveiling and limited screens opened I'd say. Just to get the bedding in problems sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭tombull82

Tom10 wrote: »
    Just to get the bedding in problems sorted.

Sounds like an opportunity of a freebie for some Carlow boardie's. A bit of problem testing... Ahem!! Plugy Plug!!:D

Maybe even a thought for the Carlow Fourm Night out thread..;)

tombull82 wrote: »
    Sounds like an opportunity of a freebie for some Carlow boardie's. A bit of problem testing... Ahem!! Plugy Plug!!:D

Maybe even a thought for the Carlow Fourm Night out thread..;)

Haha ya gotta love the trying at least eh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

i'd hate to get thrown out on the opening night for bringin me own popcorn and drink:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Beth1978

Can't tell you how happy I am to hear they're starting work on the new cinema! It's the small things in life that make me happy as I'm sure you can tell! I love the movies and just feel cheated when I go to the cinema in Carlow. Digital....sigh...am happy out now! : )

By soft opening I mean on 3-4 screens, while the others are being built, also helps work out the kinks that will inevitably happen.

If anyone has been to the new Omniplex in Wexford our new site is going to be semi modelled off of that.

• Advertisement

By soft opening I mean on 3-4 screens, while the others are being built, also helps work out the kinks that will inevitably happen.

If anyone has been to the new Omniplex in Wexford our new site is going to be semi modelled off of that.

Yaay I was right - in your face ShayK1 :p

Is the Entrance going to be in the corner beside Argos or in between Next and New Look?
    I'm really looking forward to it opening :)

Tom10 wrote: »
    Yaay I was right - in your face ShayK1 :p

You're an Idiot :D

The Main Entrance will be beside Argos, the other doors will only be emergency exits.

Has anyone that has not had good things to say about our current cinema been in the last 6 months? As I am the GM I would love feedback and to hear any concerns as well.

my only negative feedback is that I think it's a little expensive. What is it now? €8.50 for an adult?

Oh I do have a question though, Are you allowed to bring your own food to the cinema?
    To be honest, I'd probably still end up buying the popcorn cause its lovely but I'd consider bringing my own drink if its permitted.

Ya big up on the popcorn - was in the other day and it was brill. First time i finished popcorn in god knows how long. Cinema is what it is, I mean with 3 screens you are limited to what ya can do and not much can be done with the other things. I know other cinemas have monthly passes and that kinda thing - never saw it in carlow. They are always good value for money in my book

i've been a few times the last month, you are always pleasant to all the customers I like that, it's a little expesive and it can get very warm in it too, if there is a big crowd at the show

Boy this food thing is such an issue with people and here is the policy and a fair explanation as to why it is.

No food or drink from outside the cinema is permitted to be consumed in the cinema. Which means don't bring it. I understand that the price of the sweets and candy in the cinema in some cases is more expensive then the shop. When you purchase a ticket to attend a film, part of the terms and conditions of use of our facility is that if you want food, then we offer the guests what we have in our shop, or you can choose not to purchase anything. The reason its cheaper in Centra, simple, they don't clean up after you, get it for you, bring it to your seat if neccesary, clean the toilets up after you, and we do it all with a smile.

The policy is similar to a nightclub or pub, you pay €10 in for the music, DJ cover charge, what have you, but if you don't like the price of drink in it, you can't bring your own case of Miller. You just simply wouldn't be allowed.

If we see it you will be told you can't bring it in.

Here are some money saving tips for attending the cinema.

1. Students get in Mon-Thu €6.00, plus a small popcorn and drink are €5 for students with valid student ID also Mon-Thu

2. Come to matinees, If you come before 1 pm on Saturday and Sunday Adult tickets are €4.50 and one selected kids performance is only €2.50 for everyone. If you come between 1pm and 6pm anyday Adult admission is €6.50

Hope those help.

Patrick

I wasn't actually saying the food was expensive. I meant the cost of entry was a bit expensive at €8.50

I only asked if food was allowed because it had popped into my head the last time I was in.

The money saving tips are appreciated but .........

1. I'm not a student

2. I work 9-5 week days and I've no interest in going to the cinema mid afternoon at the weekends. Especially if the sun has popped its head out for an hour or two.

pick and mix stand is a defo I'd like to see now,

• Advertisement

We won't have pick and mix where we are, but we will for sure at the new site, thats been confirmed to me already, plus the automated ticket machines for purchase or collection........

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement