Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Cinema in Carlow

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

+1 on the pick and mix stand. Great idea..

Could we have trays or something for the food and drink? Or have the tickets taken off us BEFORE we buy the food? It's very difficult to hand over a ticket balancing popcorn, large drinks and a packet of.. Whatever..

Also.. Although this is such a simple idea.. Can the door be left locked open until the film starts and then close them? In line with the whole food thing too..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

ive unapproved the competition post for now, until i get further clarification on it, may be considered inappropriate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 paddycanada

trays we will have for sure, if you ever struggle currently, the staff should be offering to help, by either getting the door, or offering to hold your purchases while you get the tickets. I will address the location of the ticket check, however sometimes it proves difficult to do with people trying to sneak between screens during busy periods, probably happens more frequently then most people realize, but I will take that one on board for sure. As for the doors, I am hoping they will have magnetic anchors that will be timed, so the door is not an issue, but no promises as of yet. Keep the ideas flowing......

Competition or not, I still appreciate the feedback, maybe rather then make it a competition, any one with a good idea please just send it on

Competition or not, I still appreciate the feedback, maybe rather then make it a competition, any one with a good idea please just send it on

feedback is fine, if you want to do the tickets thing by pm or thats fine

• Advertisement

Sure anyone with ideas PM me and any I implement will get a few passes, is that fair?

Sure anyone with ideas PM me and any I implement will get a few passes, is that fair?

they can make the suggestion here in public thats fine...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

patrickc wrote: »
    they can make the suggestion here in public thats fine...
    my suggestion is for all cinemas and it is to stop ripping people off on the food and drinks prices and more people might actually go to the cinema and might even pick up and bring home their rubbish if they feel their custom is valued and appreciated.

putting large signs up threatening paying customers telling them they will be thrown out for saving €50 on food and drinks after they have paid €60 on the tickets only drives families to xtravision in these cashstrapped times so cinemas please stop shooting yourselves in the feet!

As I mentioned before, I can appreciate that the price of the popcorn and drinks are more expensive. It is your choice if you would like to purchase it as well. If you choose not to, you may not bring your own however.

I hope to have night once a month or once a week based on the interest, where we show an old movie, like Jaws, or Star Wars, Godfather, that kind of thing, anyone have suggestions for which movie will be the innagural film>?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 southbhoy

Just on the point of a new "bigger" cinema meaning more choice. The Omniplex/Cineplex group are run by the same company (Ward Anderson) which owns the Omniplex in Wexford. Currently showing, in Wexford, are The Proposal (on 2 screens), Harry Potter (on 2 screens) and Bruno (on 2 screens). Since opening, the Wexford Omniplex tends to spread out its movies over several screens (http://omniplex.ie/cinema/omniplex/wexford.htm).
    My point being that compared to an 8 screen cinema we still have the exact same movies currently playing here on a 3 screen.

As for ideas for the new cinema, the monthly cards like Cineworld have €19.99 per month for unlimited viewing. A phone blocker like the Savoy tried but had to withdraw (to stop people using mobiles).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

As I mentioned before, I can appreciate that the price of the popcorn and drinks are more expensive. It is your choice if you would like to purchase it as well. If you choose not to, you may not bring your own however.

You haven't tried to defend the cost of entry yet?
    I hope to have night once a month or once a week based on the interest, where we show an old movie, like Jaws, or Star Wars, Godfather, that kind of thing, anyone have suggestions for which movie will be the innagural film>?

Terminator!!

Shawshank? Pulp Fiction ??

ShayK1 wrote: »

Terminator!!

Shawshank? Pulp Fiction ??

sure if pulp fictions up there then maybe resevoir dogs..

shawshank or the green mile either

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭shenanigans1982

ShayK1 wrote: »
    You haven't tried to defend the cost of entry yet?

Not trying to defend Paddy Canada cos I would like the hear why tickets are so expensive but while 8.50 is pretty expensive it aint too bad compared to other places...My OH and myself went to the cinema up in Dublin on Sunday and it cost 23 euro for tickets...at 3 O'clock in the day.

A few films I would suggest would be ....

One flew over the cuckoo's nest
    Sin City
    Jurrassic Park
    Goodfellas
    Alien
    Fight Club
    Carlito's Way......and finally......
    Finding Nemo:D

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭HugoIrl

Liking the Pulp, dogs & aliens suggestions! :D

Not trying to defend Paddy Canada cos I would like the hear why tickets are so expensive but while 8.50 is pretty expensive it aint too bad compared to other places...My OH and myself went to the cinema up in Dublin on Sunday and it cost 23 euro for tickets...at 3 O'clock in the day.

Yeah but you get what you pay for..

in fairness, the cinema in Carlow has had seats missing before..for a long time too.
    bit disgraceful..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

I agree €8.50 isn't going to be the most expensive in the country by a long shot but, is it really worth it?

Old (ish) cinema, Not digital, seats that aren't very comfortable...

I don't think so.... I still go though, cause I like going to the cinema.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭HugoIrl

Honestly never been to the cinema in carlow, generally go to the vue so can't say about carlow. Vue is nice cosy and plenty of late showings at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

I hope the front 5 rows in the new cinema won't be as close to the screen as in the current one. If you're unfortunate to get stuck down there you can forget about seeing the whole screen properly. In case anyone doesn't know what it's like, put your nose against your monitor and try reading this post. (best not to try that at work)

Will you be showing any 3-D movies on the new screens?

As a frequent customer I've noticed a some of the changes since you've taken over PaddyCanada, it feels more customer focussed. I like the idea of buying tickets at the shop since it saves me having to queue twice. Keep up the good work.

Oh and another question..

Why are we not allowed to bring in our own food but the best part of the time the staff are there themselves sitting down with chips etc?

That last question is a good one.

The only way I can fairly look at it is this, the staff are working, and need to eat and preferably choose to eat healthy. Where I draw the line is they are not allowed in to the screens with food from outside on their breaks.

As for 3-D the plan is to have 2 3-D capable projectors in the new place.

The seating and general movie experience, picture and sound will blow anyone away who is used to the current place, it will really have a wow factor.

Keep the titles coming, I am liking the Goodfellas, Pulp Fiction, Alien, Jurrasic Park, Resevoir Dogs Shawshank Redemption

If you do get seated somewhere where you are not comfortable viewing the screen, say it to the staff, we will gladly either help you find better seats, or make alternate arrangements.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭JMcCR

Just to add to the comments made already... €8.50 for entry to the current cinema is a rip off. "No value for money" with the fact its so old and uncomfortable.

However, as I spend a lot of time in Rotterdam working and use the Cinemas there quite a bit, I have to say that I'm more than happy to pay €9.50 for a ticket into a big cinema with steep seating and full digital sound with a nice big screen.

"Value for money" - Thats what everyone wants. To be able to walk out and say, "That was worth it". That's how you'll get the return customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Tom10

Has the pricing been set for the new cinema yet. I mean a lot of people are bothered with the current price for a poor cinema but i'm wondering what a good cinema will cost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

the admission price is not too bad if you are in a modern cinema that is managed well and noisy customers removed quickly but when you are going with 6 children and expected to pay €6-8 admission then another €10 each for food the only value for money is to stay at home and get them a load of goodies in aldi for €20 and let them pick a few dvd's in xtravision for at most €15.

when you add children then going to the cinema is a once a year occasion rather than something you can do once a month or once a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭JMcCR

Just thinking about the ticket price issue.

I know the Cinema (Pathé) that I use in Rotterdam have a members club. You join (min 3 months starting) and pay €18 per month to see as many films as you want. They also do very good family tickets.

Just an idea :D

For anyone who isn't aware, we do offer a family rate, 2 adults and 2 kids or 1 adult and 3 kids for €22 anytime.

I will put forward the idea of the unlimited pass, it is something we hear alot.

As for prices, nothing has been confirmed yet, but I can't imagine that the prices would increase.

The chips must be from outside the cinema?
    Do they not have a canteen no? Just seems a little unfair is all..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭splashthecash

hi paddycandada,

delighted to hear of the new cinema!

Possible "oldie" films to show:
    • The Godfather (I or II)
    • 12 angry men
    • One flew over the cuckoo's nest
    • The Shining (for the first Holloween in your new location)
    • Raging Bull
    • Aplocalypse Now
    • Aliens
    Suggestions for the new cinema:
    • none of that premium seating lark
    • regular checks by staff to ensure no messing during films
    • maybe some kind of member card like the have in vue (i.e. €19.99 a month for as many film viewings as you like)

Question: Will seats be GA or assigned?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭IronWolf

I'm sure seasonal films would get people in too (films like Home Alone during the Christmas period, Silence Of The Lambs at halloween, etc. )

Some generally well regarded films that haven't been mentioned yet:

Terminator
    Star Wars
    Blade Runner
    Fight Club
    The Godfather

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

For the love of all that is good and right with the world.
    Make SURE, absolutely sure that the largest and smallest of the drinks you will serve will fit in the cup holders on the seats. (I'm looking at you Portlaoise cinema)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭foundry

Why cant u buy ur tickets downstairs lately?

I was there tues nite and the q was all the way down the stairs for tickets and popcorn. The lady behind me was giving out as she had already bought her tickets and just wanted popcorn.

Surely it would split the Q's up if you bought your tickets downstairs?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement