Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Cinema in Carlow

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Just echoing some previous suggestions.

Membership scheme for unlimited use for a certain fee a month.

Some more indie movies along the lines of what you'd find in the IFI for example, this could perhaps just be for 1 night a week.

I'd like to see a much broader range of films unlike as it has been mentioned showing some films on two screens etc. As you mentioned digital copies are cheaper and much easier to get so I hope this will lead to more variety.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

SV wrote: »
    The chips must be from outside the cinema?
    Do they not have a canteen no? Just seems a little unfair is all..

So I take it there's no response to this so?
    Bottom line is we're not allowed to take in food but the staff can go outside, get chips and burgers from outside and sit down IN the cinema with the rest of us...
    Yet we're not even allowed to bring a drink in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 paddycanada

The question was previously answered. As the staff are working, they are entitled to choose food from outside the cinema, they are not however permitted in the screens with food from outside. If you ever see a staff member in the screen with food from outside, I want to know where and when, what date and time, and I will address it with that staff member.

As for indie movies, there just isn't the demand for it, if there was, we would do it. Thats not to say that there won't be, but in my experience I don't see it as likely.

I love the suggestions, keep them coming. I think Shawshank Redemption would be the best suggestion I have heard so far, if you think otherwise, let me know......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Beth1978

Have to say I can't wait for the new cinema, and paddycanada, you really seem to know what you're talking about so I look forward to a well run movie theatre.

Great suggestions for movies so far....but could we go back even further? I've just recently started to get into watching classic old movies on dvd but how cool would it be to see Casablanca or An Affair to Remember or Some Like It Hot on the big screen. It might get some older people into the theatre too who wouldn't normally venture out to see a movie. Not that I'm old myself...but I love old movies.
    Or for the girlies, why not put on Grease or Dirty Dancing around Valentines day so its not all lovey dovey but more out for a fun movie?
    Same for the guys, maybe have an Action wk/nd and show Die Hard 1-4 for example?

I think a loyalty card or monthly deal is a great idea, I know I would definitely benefit from that.

One pet hate I have is when kids are let in to see movies that they are clearly underage for. The movie has a rating for a reason, because the content is not suitable for them..I think a more strict eye should be kept on this.

Just some ideas. Best of luck paddycanada!

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Tom10

I don't know if I agree with you paddycanada about indie movies not being popular - I mean if ye never show them how are you to know if they would work. The problem with showing them is knowing if they are on and when, so my suggestion for ya is Twitter - set up a twitter account where ye can tell what indie movie is on this week. Its free and easy to use and is immediate for advertising to people that want to hear about it.

Also they are probably in the process of improving twitter in Ireland to be more like the UK and USA where they are sent tweets to your phone so its even easier.

Now where's my prize :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

As for indie movies, there just isn't the demand for it, if there was, we would do it. Thats not to say that there won't be, but in my experience I don't see it as likely.

Well indie movie is quite a broad term. Obviously there's not going to be a demand for Indie US films that cost $20,000 or so to produce and have no 'stars' in them. (Even if i'd like to see some.)
    But even films like The Damned United, Looking For Eric which are not blockbusters but big enough releases in the UK were not possible to see in Carlow, instead a trip to Dublin is necessary.
    I'm fairly sure if Sideways or Lost in Translation were being released today they wouldn't make it to a Carlow screen.
    It's just a bit depressing if the new cinema is going to be eight screens of GI Joe, Transformers, The Proposal, G Force with no room for something a little different.

As regards classic films, I second Alien, Blade Runner, Apocalypse Now. Haven't seen either of the last two somehow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 penny37

one of things i saw in dundrum are the booster seats for kids- portable boosters that kids can put on their seats - they are quieter cause they can see the screen better which leads to a happier cinema time for the not so small kids! :D

As for booster seats, we currently have those, and will at the new site. I have just driven by the new site as well and you can see some of the walls going up if you look carefully.

Rather then call them "Indie" films, small release films is probably a better term. Its also not quite as simple as phoning up a distributor and ordering up the latest, its a bit more complicated.

I may not know from not showing the indie films, but the owners of the company have been doing it for a long time, and this is their experience.
    Now that being said, suggest some titles to me, and if I can see a way that its financially viable, then I will do my best to get them in.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

cashback wrote: »
    I'm fairly sure if Sideways or Lost in Translation were being released today they wouldn't make it to a Carlow screen.
    It's just a bit depressing if the new cinema is going to be eight screens of GI Joe, Transformers, The Proposal, G Force with no room for something a little different.

As regards classic films, I second Alien, Blade Runner, Apocalypse Now. Haven't seen either of the last two somehow.

I remember when Lost in Translation was shown in Carlow when first released, loads of people walked out in the first 10mins. They never gave, what turned out to be an interesting story, a chance. I suppose most customers go to see new films and wouldn't be interested in paying to see a film which they may have seen twice already on the telebox. I imagine it would take something special to get enough viewers in to make it viable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭splashthecash

hi paddycanada,

do you know at this stage if unlimited monthly membership will be available at this new cinema or is it yet to be decided?

cheers

• Advertisement

hi paddycanada,

do you know at this stage if unlimited monthly membership will be available at this new cinema or is it yet to be decided?

cheers

it is not something we currently offer, however it has been suggested. I will let you all know here if that changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

If you could show classic Tron in the 2 or so weeks before Tron:Legacy is released so people can get up to date and such.
    Had a friend come into the latest Harry Potter and Transformers II movies completely lost. Maybe do it for all big releases?

Have like a selection of 5 classics that people can vote for and see at the end of the month. A different set of 5 for next month. Should be easy enough, Tweet the selection and maybe give Boards a few quid so you can set up a poll here or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭jojo86

ya i agree with an above post,underage kids getting into movies is terrible. there is something really annoying about going into a 16 or above movie and seeing little 12 year olds in there mostly because they can be seriously head wrecking, noisy and messers!!
    Plus, what about all the cool merchandise that cinemas never take advantage of? I'd say almost everyone I know has at some point wanted a proper cinema poster or the movie cut outs, what if once they were done with they were sold or something?? I don't know, always wonder what happens to them. Seriously wanted a brilliant BRUNO one when I saw it in Naas.
    Fair enough cinema's are gone a bit too expensive between ticket prices and the food is a crazy amount of money but still there are other merchandising opportunities not being capitalized on.
    Or even what about a small cafe in a cinema, so you can come in early for the movie and have some grub or afterwards have some food....
    Oh and make cinema workers outfits a bit funky, a cool top or cool baseball hat or something. When staff look cool and aren't just wearing those oversized black polo shirts it makes the place itself cooler...at least in bars when the staff have a funky top on people talk about it and want one...:cool:
    Feel free to disagree with everything iv said im just babbling various thoughts as they enter my head!!:P

jojo86 wrote: »
    Plus, what about all the cool merchandise that cinemas never take advantage of? I'd say almost everyone I know has at some point wanted a proper cinema poster or the movie cut outs, what if once they were done with they were sold or something?? I don't know, always wonder what happens to them. Seriously wanted a brilliant BRUNO one when I saw it in Naas.

Charity raffle?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭shaymousse

You can see the walls of each cinema going up at th emo from outside. Cant wait for the new cinema!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Ebi

paddycanada: any chance of some kidfree screenings? Imagine seeing a movie without all the messing hormonewarped show-off teenie-weenies... A dream come true! Hate it when movie gets ruined. In Sweden (and I'm sure other places as well) they have over 18 cinemas. Normal cinemas also offer over 18 screenings for all movies, not just the rated ones. And no, they dont show ''adult'' movies in Swedish cinemas if anyone was planning that joke.

Also agreed with previous post on doing a rerun of prequels.

and how about a bit of foreing films? Old and new? Or am i the only one who likes some french intellectuals or japanes violence every once in a while?

And please please tell me the toilets are gonna be clean in the new place?

So excited about new cinema, havn't been to the cinema in carlow since Sweeney Todd, got feed up with cues, messing and vile toilets

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

Paddy the old cinema is a dive. The toilets are never clean, they always smell of pee. The floors in the cinema are always sticky, chewing gum on the seats etc. The entry fee of 8.50 would be fine if as you mentioned the place was clean. I can appreciate that for sometime the new place has been due to open, but that's no excuse for the place not being clean. The gents toilets have always been a pet hate of mine, they're disgusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭bluefirefly

hey paddy. look forward to the new cinema. magnetic/sensor doors sounds good for the theatres. and yes like some previous people have said, if you have 8 screens dont just show 3 movies,thats silly!!

i like the idea you can book seats online. and i personally prefer the assigned seats, so to avoid people rushing into the theatre to get good seats.and that you have to get there early.

oh and maybe you'd need some kinda bouncer guard too, there's no point having a lovely cinema but full of scumbags( there are a good bit of them in carlow) the minute i walk into waterford cinema before ,they were EVERYWHERE! and popcorns were just flying all over the place,so i left.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭car

In the new cinema, can you make sure that the projector is adjusted to the correct size for the screen, it was fair annoying last night when I went to see a film, to have to watch the movie with about a foot off either way off the screen.

Staff came in and out serveral times and never noticed, now I know why I had given up going to the movies in Carlow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

car wrote: »
    In the new cinema, can you make sure that the projector is adjusted to the correct size for the screen, it was fair annoying last night when I went to see a film, to have to watch the movie with about a foot off either way off the screen.

Staff came in and out serveral times and never noticed, now I know why I had given up going to the movies in Carlow.

why didn't you get up and tell the staff ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭shaymousse

@ car the new cinema will be digital so no projector!

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Tom10

shaymousse wrote: »
    @ car the new cinema will be digital so no projector!

Ah there'll still be a projector but it'll be a digital one

are we still on target for a sept\oct opening?? those lads up there seem to be slacking whenever I look up!

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭car

I didnt go out and complain, as the last time I was there, i had to go out about the sound been out of sync, if I started complaining that night, it would have taken the good out of the night that I was having with my other half. Plus if I started complaining to the poor manager Id be there all night.

Hi all,

Just noticed that Omniplex's website has added Carlow to its locations...and strangely enough it looks like you can book tickets. I thought maybe that this is related to the current cinema in Carlow but that is called CinePlex isn't it?

http://www.omniplex.ie/cinema/cinema/carlow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

Hi all,

Just noticed that Omniplex's website has added Carlow to its locations...and strangely enough it looks like you can book tickets. I thought maybe that this is related to the current cinema in Carlow but that is called CinePlex isn't it?

Hate to burst your bubble. Carlow has been on omniplex.ie for years so that's nothing new.

Regarding progress, the old cinema has signs up about recruiting staff for the new 8 screen cinema in Carlow. So that's a bloody good sign.

Hurry up lads, I'm getting fed up with the old cinema ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Hi all,

Carlow CinePlex is part of the Omniplex group of cinemas and, as already mentioned, has been on their website for years. The number of cinemas is not changing, the new cinema is just a new location not an competing cinema.

Whats the current estimated opening date of the new cinema?
    Can one be given?

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭MarVeL

+1 for the monthly tickets if you're keeping count

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 colet69

Hi All, interesting thread! I've been awaiting the opening of this cinema for years! Has any real work started on the interior of the new cinema? Does anyone know the architects involved etc?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement