Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Cinema in Carlow

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 colet69

any sign of this cinema actually opening this year?? Does anyone know any of the architects involved?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 colet69

Just read back over the thread there...really cant wait for the cinema to actually open! Does anyone know what it is going to look like internally? The last cinema of this scale that I've been in is the new cinema in the Bridgewater in Arklow town, it won awards this year for its fit out design / signage etc. it looks great! I wonder how the new Carlow cinema will look! Anyone know the designers involved?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

I saw a van outside today. Blue with silver writing but I can't remember the name. GGrrrr

Something like "CinemaSettings" or "CinemaLayouts" .... I forget.. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 puddleglum

I would suggest that you have a month dedicated to a film director or film series, such as the John Carpenter month for Halloween, and play his most famous horror movies. Other could be Lord of the Rings, the Superman month. Obviously there should be significant discounts including to students as you will not be paying for the rights of new movies your overheads will not be so big.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 puddleglum

Better even, a Tim Burton month, a Kubrick month etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Lazairus

As cinemas go it not great. Still I like the cinema because its never too busy. I can eat a chinese and watch the movie.

The movies are not brialliant but it depends on your point of view.

I admit the films are bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Lazairus wrote: »
    As cinemas go it not great. Still I like the cinema because its never too busy. I can eat a chinese and watch the movie.

The movies are not brialliant but it depends on your point of view.

I admit the films are bad.

nah, you're only allowed to buy their extemely overpriced food now.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭BO-JANGLES

I saw that van to and the painters and decorators are in too! Can't wait to have a decent venue in Carlow, no more driving to LV and Nass fo a decent night out.....:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 gooner-84

the reason the carlow cinema misses out on so many good films is because the company which owns it,omniplex,refused to take certain films and as a result the company which supplies the films then decided not to give them the good ones....hope that makes sence!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

just spotted this, 6euro tickets for the cinema, not too bad at all

http://www.omniplex.ie/cinema/promo/special-offer-all-tickets-6-roi-4-ni

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭steve66

Haven't been on in a while and for that I apologize. I am Patrick the general manager of the current Carlow Cineplex cinema as well as the new Omniplex cinema that will open in Fairgreen Phase II.

I am glad to say that work on the new cinema starts on monday July 27th and we plan a soft opening prior to christmas this year.

I am also glad to say that this cinema will be 100% digital, it will have 8 screens and will also lead to us hiring close to 20-30 additional staff.

Anybody with some suggestions for either the new or current cinema please feel free to comment.

Thanks again,

Patrick Ryan
    General Manager
    Omniplex Carlow

Hi, Patrick,here are my suggestions
    (1) have the seats arranged, so that there is plenty of leg space, and we have comfortable viewing no matter how tall the person sitting in front is.
    (2) I would like to see foreign movies, old movies, classics. I know the current
    cinema does have films which are outside of the norm. But I haven't seen too many subtitled films there. When i see old or classic films, I'm referring to ones
    that are reissued.
    (3) Bring back back the double bills, with a short, a cartoon and a serial on before it. Okay, I'm just kidding. But perhaps it might be feasible for one night
    a week to have a double bill of currently showing films at a special price.
    (4) It would be nice if the cleaners didn't come in until the credits were
    finished rolling. Now most of the time, I don't wait for the credits, but sometimes I might want to.
    (5) bring down the price of the food.
    thanks for giving me the oppurtunity to say all this. Good luck with the cinema

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭steve66

oh, that sounds good. How about "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid"
    As I mentioned before, I can appreciate that the price of the popcorn and drinks are more expensive. It is your choice if you would like to purchase it as well. If you choose not to, you may not bring your own however.

I hope to have night once a month or once a week based on the interest, where we show an old movie, like Jaws, or Star Wars, Godfather, that kind of thing, anyone have suggestions for which movie will be the innagural film>?

ShayK1 wrote: »
    I saw a van outside today. Blue with silver writing but I can't remember the name. GGrrrr

Something like "CinemaSettings" or "CinemaLayouts" .... I forget.. :(

CinemaScape!!

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭DANNY22XX

anything new movies for halloween wouldnt hurt to look at what other cinemas are showing,,,

Would be nice to see an 18 movie now and again everything your showing is for 15,,or PG,,

I could watch the disney chanel to see movies like that :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭purplestar1986

+1 on the monthly pass aswell.
    Haven't been to the Cineplex in years, it was a kip then and by the sounds of it, it still is. Can't wait for the Omniplex, yet another thing worth moving back to Tullow for lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Is there any update with the new cinema? Any ideas when that will open?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭Cuchulain

I see "Omniplex" now emblazened across the front of the building. :):)

We are getting close folks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭shaymousse

Must have gone up overnight. Wasnt there yesterday. Did see alot of action goign on over there though. Vans with cinema fitouts written on them!

• Registered Users Posts: 49 ShotgunBoy

As I mentioned before, I can appreciate that the price of the popcorn and drinks are more expensive. It is your choice if you would like to purchase it as well. If you choose not to, you may not bring your own however.

I hope to have night once a month or once a week based on the interest, where we show an old movie, like Jaws, or Star Wars, Godfather, that kind of thing, anyone have suggestions for which movie will be the innagural film>?

I'm not sure about the innagural film but here are a few suggestions:

Pulp Fiction
    Clerks
    Fight Club
    Groundhog Day
    Reservoir Dogs

And maybe you could turn up the sound a bit, so that we can feel the movie too. Thx ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Tom10

ShotgunBoy wrote: »
    I'm not sure about the innagural film but here are a few suggestions:

Pulp Fiction
    Clerks
    Fight Club
    Groundhog Day
    Reservoir Dogs

And maybe you could turn up the sound a bit, so that we can feel the movie too. Thx ;)

Haha in ur late 20's much :P

• Advertisement

I'm in my late 20's? Or movies from the late 20's?

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Tom10

ShotgunBoy wrote: »
    I'm in my late 20's? Or movies from the late 20's?

I would have guessed you

Tom10 wrote: »
    I would have guessed you

Ha ha nah, I'm 17. I just have a good taste in movies :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

Is it open yet? It looks ready to rock and roll all the sign-age etc is up...

not open yet, went by the other evening and had a look in the doors, looks like theres still a bit to do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 897 ✭✭✭oxygen_old

If the new cinema is an Omniplex, is that not a bit worrying? Arent they the same people as the current cinema, that will just show awful movies?

yeh same owners, managers etc will be running the new one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭DO'Carlo/Wex

I Left in my C.V. a few weeks ago in person AND applied online (Omniplex.ie; is there a sticky on how to post hyperlinks or do u just do it-swoosh-?).
    Still waiting but will give the place a visit anyroad.
    Last film I saw in Carlow was Truman Show.
    I remember my village usedta have a Picturehouse. Mainly in town-halls etc. Most villages & towns did. Obviously became non financially viable which is my guess why they closed.
    I even remember watching Jungle Book as a kid in a local pub.

(Omniplex.ie; is there a sticky on how to post hyperlinks or do u just do it-swoosh-?).

just type it, www.omniplex.ie or copy and paste it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭pinkfloyd34

well other omniplexes are able to show all up to date films so dont see why this one souldnt

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement