Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Cinema in Carlow

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

I'm ashamed to say the film I'll be seeing there first :o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

ShayK1 wrote: »
    Ticket machine right inside the door! Sweet! Very handy indeed.
    Going to see Harry Brown at 21:10
    Anybody else going to opening night?

In the words of Bart Simpson...
    "I got my ticket"

be sure to let us know what u think of the place... and Harry Brown looking forward to seeing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

SV wrote: »
    I'm ashamed to say the film I'll be seeing there first :o

C'mon, its it 3D "A Christmas Carol" ?
    patrickc wrote: »
    be sure to let us know what u think of the place... and Harry Brown looking forward to seeing that.

Will do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

C'mon, its it 3D "A Christmas Carol" ?

It's the kind of film that will have hundreds of young girls at it most likely..

Twilight :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

you're going to see New Moon arent you??? :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭car

as the title says!
    I tried to book tickets downstair on their selfservice check in for a movie at 9pm this evening and it wouldnt except my lazer or creditcard, so I let two others try and book and the exact same thing happened for them!

So I gave the place the benefit of the doubt as all new places can have teething problems, so I did the old fashion way and queued for 15 odd minutes to buy my tickets, got to the box and tried to pay with the credit card again along with my BF credit card, the guy on the box called his manager to see if he could see what the problem with their system, the manager looked at the card (by holding it in his hand - he didnt even swipe it) then walked off as he was too busy licking @ss with one of the bigwigs from head office!

I was asked to pay with cash, which I didnt have one me at the time. Anyway I went and got cash and went back up to buy the tickets, at this stage the queue was going down the stairs as there was still only one poor guy on the ticket box. Queued for 23minutes to buy the tickets and asked the guy in the box was their credit card machine, and he said no, barring in mind I could see serveral people in the queue holding their cards to pay, yet no management told them that the system was down.

As I was purchasing my tickets, they had people walking behind me to get into screens behind the box office, who on Earth designed this layout I dont know, You go to one section to buy your popcorn then you have to walk back pass the ticket box to get to your screen with your drinks and popcorn, with the risk of getting them hit by people buying this tickets and turning around fast not knowing you would be there... Ive never heared of a queuing system like this, where you have to walk through another queue to get where you are....

People were also sent downstairs that had credit /lazer cards to purchase tickets to be told they could buy any ticket they want bar 2012 and again they had to re-queue again! Im going to see my first movie at 9pm so I will let ye know how I get on, but so far I am not impressed FILMHOUSE IRELAND!

worked for me first time.

Well it didnt work for me and that was 40mins ago, they are having loads of teething problems, and the big wigs and manager seems to be having blinkers on up there at the mo, they are too busy smiling for the guy from the nationalist and trying to look professional...... going to the cinema is suppose to be a relaxing experiance, so far tonight my blood pressure is boiling and Ive only bought my tickets... i still have to buy my popcorn and fight for my seat! :P

worked for me first time.

mmm im sure that response made Car's experience much better :rolleyes:

I got mine at roughly 18:30. what's that? an hour and 20mins ago.

• Advertisement

Nead21 wrote: »
    mmm im sure that response made Car's experience much better :rolleyes:

Fair point. My apologies car. What are you going to see anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

2012 it seems, by her saying the machine would work for any film but it

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Wanton

Sorry folks,

I have to say my first experiance of the new Carlow cinema was an utter disappointment!

Now, first, I fully accept there will be teething problems, big ones and small ones. But for such a big endeavour I expected better management of the situation.

I arrived @ 8:30 for the 9:00 show of 2012 expecting a crowd. My ticket clearly stated Screen 1. The person on ticket check looked at the ticket, ripped the ticket and let me on through.

Above the door of screen 1 in nice red writing "2012". Great.

8:45, along with a crowd of people we enter the screen. Approx 10 minutes later of the many managers that seemed to be floating around all evening came in shrugs, smiles and remarks "where none of you told this was moved to screen 6??"

No, there we were not told at ticket check, there was no sign on the door, above the door it clearly stated 2012.....

We all scurried out of screen 1 to screen 6 to find it almost full when we got there. It appears a number of people didnt get seats. We had random floor staff asking people to check the where in the right screen when it was very obvious they sold tickets for screen 1, which was about 3 times the size of screen 6 and over sold.

I am sorry. I can accept there may have been an issue with screen 1, but the mismanagement of the situation was a joke. It would have taken them maybe 2 minutes just to update the red sigh over screen 1 to say 2012 now moved to screen 6 or similar. Or maybe, just maybe "Sorry folks, you should be in screen 6" when the manager came in to let us know.

I can say I wont be going back for a long time. Hopefuly when I do go back they will have sorted out all the "teething problems"

(what a post for post 400 and my first post in the Carlow section)
    I hope I dont come across too hard, but I really hoped for more.

The ticket machine downstairs didnt work for 2012 for the 9pm show, it was allowing me to book the 8pm show, but the for the 9pm show, the price was coming up as €0.00 for each tickets and then you went to swipe your card, it came back with an error, basically saying the price was in vaild. So then I went up stairs to buy the old fashion way, and the box office creditcard system seemed to have gone done too. Apparently it had been up and down all evening, I later heared off a member of staff.
    I had to requeue when I got to an atm and paid with cash.

One other notice, the lifts were out of order.... how did people unable to use the stairs get into see a movie???? Surely the place has to be Wheelchair accessible!!!

BY THE WAY,This has been the worst opening night ever!:mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

think i'll wait for them movies to come out on dvd at €9 a pop the service doesn't seem very good!

my first experience of Carlow cinema was quite pleasant.
    I got my ticket for Harry Brown at around 6:30 in the ticket machine that's just inside the door downstairs. No queues, no problems.
    Came back at around 8:45 for the 9:10 show. Walked up to the ticket checking lady and showed our tickets. Grand. Headed off to get some supplies for the show. No problems there.
    Headed into Screen 7 where a friendly member of staff opened the door for us as he could see our hands were clearly full of those earlier mentioned supplies.

Thoroughly enjoy the movie. Wasn't exactly what I was expecting but maybe that's a good thing :) Great sound, great quality picture.

On the downside, the popcorn was very corny (if you know what I mean).
    The lifts being out of order was unacceptable!!!
    There was no backround music in the cinema before the show started.
    And the house lights were left on for the first 20 minutes or so of the movie.
    It was kinda funny really. A member of staff came in with a clipboard and looked up at the lights and you could clearly see him saying to himself "For **** Sake". 2 minutes later the lights were off.

What did you guys make of the seats? Althought they're a million times better that the ones in the old cinema, I still think they could've been way more comfortable. I found them a bit hard or something.

I also don't like the way that if you don't get your ticket in advance and you want to get some snacks you've to queue twice. Why not have ticket sales at the confectionary counter?
    It might promote more confectionary sales, and people who don't want food can also use the ticket machines (if they're not out of order.)

I was also expecting some form of Opening Night Offer like, free popcorn or buy one get one free or something. I didn't see anything like that nor was I offered :(

foggy_lad wrote: »
    think i'll wait for them movies to come out on dvd at €9 a pop the service doesn't seem very good!

Tickets are €8.50 unless you book online in which case they've a 50c booking fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭HugoIrl

I found the seats kinda uncomfortable as well. Legs felt a bit funny afterwards. Annoying but was late ppl coming in and their heads were making shadows on the screen were pretty obivous. Other then then screens were great and sound was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Wanton

Sorry, I should add to my earlier rant... (and i accept it was a bit of rant, but I stand by it)

:cool: The sound was excellant, the picture was excellant. The seats are a massive improvement and the leg room is pretty good too.

It definitly has the potential and I wouldnt say stay away for ever or anything, the place wont last long that way.

:( But hopefully if any management still read this thread they will take on board any complaints, because unfortanetly they didnt seem to be entertaining any complaints yesterday.
    Tickets are €8.50 unless you book online in which case they've a 50c booking fee.

Tickets for the 9pm show are definitly €9 for the 9pm show of 2012 and we paid cash.

Oh, and stay away from 2012, most of the poeple ended up laughting for half it cause it got so stupid!! :P

Wanton wrote: »
    Tickets for the 9pm show are definitly €9 for the 9pm show of 2012 and we paid cash.

I stand corrected. I just checked my laser receipt and you are correct.

My apologies foggy_lad, dunno where I got 8.50 from

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

Wanton wrote: »
    Oh, and stay away from 2012, most of the poeple ended up laughting for half it cause it got so stupid!! :P

You can sing that, worst movie I've seen in a looonnggg time.

I was happy enough, nothing more than a few teething problems for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭shaymousse

Just backfrom 2012, what can I say special effects are great plot is shi*. The cinema is grand. Comfy seats etc, seemingly they were made in Columbia? €9 tickets are normal if you ask me. There €10.50 in VUE in dublin. No probs with cinema. Delighted its open at last!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

Negatives:

Stairs are beyond a joke.
    Toilets not working.
    Popcorn no where near as a nice.
    No lift.
    The lack of lighting prior to the movie starting meant that we were blinded when the movie came on.

Would it have killed them to put in escalators? Basic thing nowadays.

Positives:

Screen 1 is impressive, 2012 looked and sounded great.
    The chairs are pretty comfy
    There's plenty of legroom
    Screen 1 has oddles of space, big block busters are gona rock in that screen!
    There were no ads or trailers (this will change I assume)

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭bluefirefly

I'm going to the cinema later on today, checked their websites..im disappointed you cant book ur seats. I personally dislike the idea of having to arrive early and queue to get a good seat.is it hard to put a system like that in cinemas?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

Went to see A Christmas Carol yesterday with the kids. €5 a ticket for kids and adults for the 12.30 show. It was great.

Was 2012 that bad??????

And is the Michael Caine movie any good???

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭mickos

Went to see Harry Brown last night. Film was class. No problems with the cinema. Booked tickets online during the week, picked them up yesterday afternoon. Arrived at 8.50 for the 9.10 showing, There was no real need for that, the missus could of watched the end of X factor after all:D. Major improvement on the old cinema, look forward to going again. Oh the popcorn wasn't great, full of bits, but thats my only complaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭mickos

Queen-Mise wrote: »

And is the Michael Caine movie any good???

I thought it was excellent. Dunno about anyone else but I'd say well worth seeing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Negatives:
    Toilets don't work *
    Lift out of order *
    Tickets sold out in the office, but available online, and collectable at the machine downstairs. Cinema not full for this "sold out" showing.

Positives:
    meh

* The wife is 40 weeks pregnant, neither of these helped...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭RealistSpy

I don't think the new cinema is ready, I don't know why they bloody rushed it. I prefer something that is done and done well than rush and ****! ;)

Still I am looking forward to going there after couple of weeks.

• Advertisement

mickos wrote: »
    I thought it was excellent. Dunno about anyone else but I'd say well worth seeing.

+ 1

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement