Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Cinema in Carlow

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

testicle wrote: »
    Negatives:
    Toilets don't work *
    Lift out of order *
    Tickets sold out in the office, but available online, and collectable at the machine downstairs. Cinema not full for this "sold out" showing.

Positives:
    meh

* The wife is 40 weeks pregnant, neither of these helped...

+1. My wife is in the same situation and it was a disgrace not to have a woking toilet. I did also see somebody leaving the cinema in a wheelchair and imo they obviously could not access the upper levels due to lifts not works. escalators like blanchardstown shopping centre (ones without steps) would have been ideal here and if they stop working you can still use them as they remain flat.

Had they waited a week or two these complaints would not exist but as usual the profit before people scenario has left a nasty taste.

On another note dont go see Men who stare at goats....though in fairness the title itself is should have been enough to stop me going

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭leincar

Just back from the new cinema. It could have done with a cleaning. There was dust everywhere. Its a pity you can't reserve seats for the earlier shows. On the plus side, screen 1's layout is great and the 'V.I.P.' seats at the back are very comfortable.

Now all we need is a Burger King and a M&S food hall in Carlow and all will be well with the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭shaymousse

Ah lads, at the end of the day its still 100% better than the other kip in Superquinn! Im sure everything will be working and clean in a week or two!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Willabong

Just back from the cinema, now I'm not one to rant but for crying out loud, something no person should have to experience on a night out. First of all it resembled a cattle mart a bit chaotic, layout poor.
    Got tickets and fodder and made our way to screen 5 - total darkness. After sitting on 1 person by mistake we finally found empty seats.

The seating itself and layout was pretty good, sound quallity excellent and picture crisp, we could even hear whatever was on in screen beside us. Then i found out why there was no light at the start, empty popcorn boxes and drink cartons lay in empty seats. Now finally my last complaint no bloody heat. The place was freezing.

Needless to say won't be back for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭RealistSpy

+ 999

I went there last night to watch 2021 Screen 1 and it was brilliant the vip seats blew me away. It was so confortable I felt at home I didn't want to leave :(. Who ever is complaining I mean seriously?

I am delighted with it at least its 100% improvement from the old one ;). I think I will be going there every week shame they don't do classic movies :S or series lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Betty-ireland

I thought it was fine. Seats were so comfy :) Only thing was the lift didn't work and wasn't planning a late afternoon workout at 29 weeks pregnant :rolleyes:
    Also when the film was over my daughter was begging for the toilet and it was out of order :mad: listening to a 6 year old going on and on and on and on about how she's bursting wasn't fun lol!
    Will def go back, maybe when the lift is working though:D

Yeh I must say we need the lifts to work asap. Honestly I am too lazy to work that long stairs :S.

What happened to disablility access?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭SillyMonkey

Just went last night and the lift was working just to let ye know.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭BO-JANGLES

My family and I went to see A christmas carol yesterday (Screen 3) and were dissapionted with the sound as it was not very loud and the dialogue was like a whisper. The cinema was very cold (had to keep our coats on). Pity its a free for all when it comes to getting seats together, saw lots of people coming in groups of four but ended sitting in different rows as they were the only seats available when they arrived. Im putting it down to theething problems and will go once more but if things don't improve I guess we will be heading back to Liffey Valley again.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Ok, went a while back and I think it's brutal there..if anything it's on a par with the old cinema tbh.. I won't be going back, ever.

• Advertisement

SV wrote: »
    Ok, went a while back and I think it's brutal there..if anything it's on a par with the old cinema tbh.. I won't be going back, ever.

Why is this?

RealistSpy wrote: »
    Why is this?

I can't see a difference between it and the old one.
    I don't know what people are talking about with the seats! I think they're terrible.. It was far far too loud when I went.. As in I felt like I was leaving a nightclub leaving it, oh.. And the price.. Of everything. A joke tbh.
    Seats we were in were clean enough but it's pretty obvious the place hadn't been cleaned in a fair while either..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

BO-JANGLES wrote: »
    My family and I went to see A christmas carol yesterday (Screen 3) and were dissapionted with the sound as it was not very loud and the dialogue was like a whisper. The cinema was very cold (had to keep our coats on). Pity its a free for all when it comes to getting seats together, saw lots of people coming in groups of four but ended sitting in different rows as they were the only seats available when they arrived. Im putting it down to theething problems and will go once more but if things don't improve I guess we will be heading back to Liffey Valley again.:(

Have you been to the cinema in Naas? Its not as far to travel as Liffey Valley and its pretty good.

I can't see a difference between it and the old one.
    I don't know what people are talking about with the seats! I think they're terrible.. It was far far too loud when I went.. As in I felt like I was leaving a nightclub leaving it, oh.. And the price.. Of everything. A joke tbh.
    Seats we were in were clean enough but it's pretty obvious the place hadn't been cleaned in a fair while either..

I agree with you about both the price and the seats. I suppose the price is probably on par with most other cinemas but still way over priced. And as for the seats. I thought they were an improvement on the old place but still not as good as they could have been or as I expected them to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Sorry folks but I don't understand what your complaining about because that wasn't my experience at all. The new cinema is worlds apart from the old one, it's blatently obvious. I've been in it a few times (all evening shows 7-9pm ish) since it opened and myself and my friends found it enjoyable. We thought it clean and spacious, although the last time there was an odd smell behind me from someone's dodgy feet (Odoureaters people :mad:).

I haven't yet found it cold even with my coat off. Maybe if you're down front it's colder but I tend to sit in the top half so I suppose it would be warmer since heat rises.

I thought the seats were decent, not spectacular but a heck of a lot better than the old ones. Initially I wasn't over happy but then I realised that by not slouching they were actually quite comfortable.

Sound and picture I thought very good and the view excellent, gone are the days of trying to see around the big head in front.

Now, on price. Of course the €9 price is higher compared to the old cinema but imo you're getting a lot more for your extra 50c. I compared prices for the same movie 2012, same time (Sat night 9pm ish) and Carlow is actually cheaper than Storm Naas & Portlaoise (€9.80) and Vue Liffey Valley (€10.60).

Tbh I can't see the problems ye are having, maybe it's just my expectations are different but I was happy with what I experienced. Perhaps you just came across teething problems in the early days.

Eitherways, if something is not right let the staff know, that's my philosophy. It's the same with any service. I've often seen the manager in the foyer so he's the man to talk to. If you don't say anything he's not gonna be able to sort it. I'm sure he wants you go home happy so that you'll come back, his job depends on it.

Now before anyone assumes I'm linked to the cinema, I'm not, nothing to do with them at all or their staff, nada. Just telling y'all how it went for me and my mates as punters. We'll be going back, soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Everybody has their bad experiences in places. My sister went twice and had nothing good to say about it the first time but had nothing bad to say on the second occasion.

Its like the Grill & Grape restaurant, i've been there on more than one occasion and i have nothing bad to say about the place. Thats life for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

super-rush wrote: »
    Its like the Grill & Grape restaurant, i've been there on more than one occasion and i have nothing bad to say about the place. Thats life for you.

You obviously have no appreciation of customer service.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

I've never had an issue with the service there.

To be honest every body has their own opinion, it really depends on how your raised. Tbh aswell I liked the old cinema aswell :P eventhough the new cinema > old cinema.

if you == size && quality the new cinema is way better

RealistSpy wrote: »
    To be honest every body has their own opinion, it really depends on how your raised. Tbh aswell I liked the old cinema aswell :P eventhough the new cinema > old cinema.

if you == size && quality the new cinema is way better

spoken like a true programmer

• Advertisement

super-rush wrote: »
    Everybody has their bad experiences in places. My sister went twice and had nothing good to say about it the first time but had nothing bad to say on the second occasion.

I was only there once m'dear ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 belindaf

Reality is nobody is ever happy. You can not adjust one thing to make one person happy without that having a negative effect on another.

Its called accepting whats there. There is nobody forcing anyone to go to the place, so instead of giving out just dont go and do us all a favour in not having to listen to ye moan when we go to enjoy a film.

I've only been there once and it was on the very first day, the only film playin was a christmas carol in 3D. I honestly thought it was amazing couldnt get over it. Fair enough i had to walk up the stairs and im not one for exercise but it was grand.

I've never used the toilets so cant complain bout them but im not a person that can leave a film to pee, its called goin before you leave the house like your mammy used to tell ya before ya go on a long journey.

Fair enough it was expensive but what do you expect if your paying for the experience.

Its like this, put up and shut up its there for the public who begged for it to be der and asked a million questions as to wen it was open. If you dont wanna go dont! Simple as.

belindaf wrote: »
    Reality is nobody is ever happy. You can not adjust one thing to make one person happy without that having a negative effect on another.

Its called accepting whats there. There is nobody forcing anyone to go to the place, so instead of giving out just dont go and do us all a favour in not having to listen to ye moan when we go to enjoy a film.

I've only been there once and it was on the very first day, the only film playin was a christmas carol in 3D. I honestly thought it was amazing couldnt get over it. Fair enough i had to walk up the stairs and im not one for exercise but it was grand.

I've never used the toilets so cant complain bout them but im not a person that can leave a film to pee, its called goin before you leave the house like your mammy used to tell ya before ya go on a long journey.

Fair enough it was expensive but what do you expect if your paying for the experience.

Its like this, put up and shut up its there for the public who begged for it to be der and asked a million questions as to wen it was open. If you dont wanna go dont! Simple as.

Yeah eh..well done, I think anyone who's complaining here isn't going back again and again, they're just telling people about their bad experiences, of which they're entitled to do.
    If you don't want to read them then don't come on a public forum.

You might be willing to accept a sub standard cinema after waiting for one for years but it appears that a lot of people aren't.

Yeah eh..well done, I think anyone who's complaining here isn't going back again and again, they're just telling people about their bad experiences, of which they're entitled to do.
    If you don't want to read them then don't come on a public forum.

You might be willing to accept a sub standard cinema after waiting for one for years but it appears that a lot of people aren't.

excuse me if they have a right to their opinion i have a right to mine.

and for your information not all forums are so negative all the time. i went on this expecting to hear great things cos i thought it was great and everyone i no thinks its brill. I have a lot i could compare it to but reality is for the money that went into it and the planning that went into it i think they did a brilliant job.

jus out of curiosity wat is that everyone wants?

Lifts - they're there
    Toilets - there too
    Cheap food - dont be ridiculous its still cheaper than drinkin yourself stupid in the foundry or somewhere
    Clean seats - if its not clean alert a member of staff straight away to deal with it. Giving management a chance to stand up for themselves and apologise for this inconvenience.
    Too loud - Again alert staff
    Too Cold - Alert Staff!
    have i missed anythin else?

you dont make accusations without giving the company a chance to explain the situation or to offer you there sincere apologies.

This is the real world people and its a cinema, its not like its a hospital in which case i could understand these stupid rants.

excuse me if they have a right to their opinion i have a right to mine.

and for your information not all forums are so negative all the time. i went on this expecting to hear great things cos i thought it was great and everyone i no thinks its brill. I have a lot i could compare it to but reality is for the money that went into it and the planning that went into it i think they did a brilliant job.

jus out of curiosity wat is that everyone wants?

Lifts - they're there
    Toilets - there too
    Cheap food - dont be ridiculous its still cheaper than drinkin yourself stupid in the foundry or somewhere
    Clean seats - if its not clean alert a member of staff straight away to deal with it. Giving management a chance to stand up for themselves and apologise for this inconvenience.
    Too loud - Again alert staff
    Too Cold - Alert Staff!
    have i missed anythin else?

you dont make accusations without giving the company a chance to explain the situation or to offer you there sincere apologies.

This is the real world people and its a cinema, its not like its a hospital in which case i could understand these stupid rants.

Did I say you weren't entitled to your opinion?

So you wanted this to be all positive and saying how great it was and because it isn't you're, in effect, telling people to shut up about it and just enjoy it?

You're comparing going to the Cinema and buying food to going out drinking in the foundry? I'm sorry but that's about the stupidest comparison I've ever heard.

So basically what we have here is people who didn't enjoy it and are saying they won't be going back but you're telling us to go there and simply just keep alerting staff to all the problems we find?
    Found enough, won't be going back.

Firstly i said put up or shut up, which is somethin i heard a lot as a child cos reality is ya dont always get wat ya want you deal with wat you have and i also said if you dont like it dont bother going back theres nobody forcin anyone. I dont understand why ppl need to compain so often about stuff dat doesnt matter. i no everyone has a right to but im jus defending the place as much as you are givin out about it. im not wrong im not sayin you are. i jus dont agree with ppl slanderin it without a simple thought as to why.

Yes you always alert staff wen there is a problem that wat they are employed for. If there is a problem in your workplace im sure ye're told about it?

Bad word of mouth spreads quicker than good word of mouth and if it loses business den they'd be given out bout that too so why bother?

And my comparison to the foundry is that its an alternative wen you go out. normally wen ppl go out its for a meal or to the cinema or to a pub or club or somethin. i was comparing it to other things to do in carlow in the evenings cos thats the only time i get off cos some of us have stuff to do durin the day.

Dont call me stupid love ya dont no me.

I expect the lifts to be WORKING, not out of order tbh. Try being this pregnant with bad hip pains and walk all those stairs. Also try being pregnant and not having to use the toilet at least once after leaving the house :o anlso try telling a 6 year old to not have to go to the toilet after drinking a drink while watching the film. So I don't leave a film to pee either but it's nice to be able to go afterwards ;)
    And to pay that much money for the experience then at least working facilities would soften the blow don't cha think :rolleyes:
    Just MY opinion ;);)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Charlie292007

I was working in the cinema the same weekend the toilets weren't working fully, there's an 8 tonne tank of water on the roof for the supply to the toilets and it didn't fill as quick as it should've due to high demand and low water pressure in the area as the supply is linked to fairgreens water supply. (their toilets were also out of service that evening). sunday mornin of that weekend contractors were in putting a seperate 6 tonne reserve tank downstairs to feed to the main tank to prevent this from occuring again and it was operational by monday evening.

i was at ticket check for most of the weekend and we informed customers young and old that there was a water supply issue and they could use the toilets but the water needed to be used sparingly, we posted signed at the front door and in the entrance to the toilets to inform patrons of the issue that had arose.

Firstly i said put up or shut up, which is somethin i heard a lot as a child cos reality is ya dont always get wat ya want you deal with wat you have and i also said if you dont like it dont bother going back theres nobody forcin anyone. I dont understand why ppl need to compain so often about stuff dat doesnt matter. i no everyone has a right to but im jus defending the place as much as you are givin out about it. im not wrong im not sayin you are. i jus dont agree with ppl slanderin it without a simple thought as to why.

Yes you always alert staff wen there is a problem that wat they are employed for. If there is a problem in your workplace im sure ye're told about it?

Bad word of mouth spreads quicker than good word of mouth and if it loses business den they'd be given out bout that too so why bother?

And my comparison to the foundry is that its an alternative wen you go out. normally wen ppl go out its for a meal or to the cinema or to a pub or club or somethin. i was comparing it to other things to do in carlow in the evenings cos thats the only time i get off cos some of us have stuff to do durin the day.

Dont call me stupid love ya dont no me.

We're complaining because we didn't like it.
    You seem to have a serious problem with us complaining about it just because you liked it? I mean ffs.
    We're giving out about it and giving genuine reasons as to why we didn't like it so I'm not sure what you're talking about there.

Why bother? If you ever go somewhere and don't like it and if, by chance, you didn't complain or get satisfaction what do you do? Just sit back and accept it as is or tell someone about it?

Yeah and going out to the foundry is completely different than going to the cinema, you can't compare the prices of the two of them.

Well obviously I don't know ya but I'm judging ya by what you're saying here hence the 'stupid' comment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Charlie292007

Why bother? If you ever go somewhere and don't like it and if, by chance, you didn't complain or get satisfaction what do you do? Just sit back and accept it as is or tell someone about it?

Yeah and going out to the foundry is completely different than going to the cinema, you can't compare the prices of the two of them.

You are right to complain, but why complain on line and not to the people that run the place. how can you expect the concerns you have to be resolved and rectified if you don't bring them up to the management???

It doesn't make any sense, if i was unhappy with something from anywhere i've been i'd bring it to the attention of the management there and then.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement