Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Archiving images?

• 23-01-2009 10:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭

I am new to digital photography. I recently purchased a Canon Eos 450. Last week I spent the day taking photos and took close to 1000 photos. I was amazed how quick the numbers added up.

Just wondering how others archive their images. I don't want to delete them, and I don't want to store them on my laptop. Would it be better to store them on an external drive, or burn them to DVD? Really just wondering what others do?

Thanks,
    Randomer

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

external hard drives in Maplin are pretty cheap, i got one from just over a hundred and i keep all my photos and music on it and hasnt even made a dent into it! i think its a 500+ GB..not sure massive memory though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Tesco dvd r 4.6gb. Cheap and cheerful. 3.99 for ten :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Tesco dvd r 4.6gb. Cheap and cheerful. 3.99 for ten : )
    Edit. Damn double post..... Sorry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

I have some of my stuff on computer and others on 2TB ... and then theres the Film negs (stored in my bedroom in parents place in cork - along with several thousand prints)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

I store them on a 500 Gig external hard drive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

I've just passed the TB mark so I'm looking into an expandable memory solution like a Drobo for back ups. Expensive but pretty much idiot proof. Perfect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

I think the file type should also be considered when archiving !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

its important to actually organise your images (categories etc) .... instead of just throwing them all on a hard drive.

Safe to say that the advice being given is to use an external hard drive for storage......if you are interested you could use a website for storage....but hard drive is cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

1OOO foto's in a day? What the ** where you snapping away at :pac:?

I second the external drive or DVDdisk, notheless, I would go through them and maybe delete some?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭DotOrg

i use two internal hard drives (both 1TB in size), one as the main, one as a backup (cheaper than external ones)

and then backup again onto an external hard drive (again 1TB)

still don't feel secure, so may use one of the online storage companies too (my new lacie drive somes with one year free trial)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 694 ✭✭✭kgiller

Go buy an external hard drive. They cost nothing nowadays. I know that www.pixmania.com have good deals at the moment. Western Digital 1Terabyte for €110

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Carrigman

randomer wrote: »
    .....Just wondering how others archive their images. I don't want to delete them.....

You have to get into the discipline of deleting poor photographs and keeping only the good ones. Storing every shot you take is just crazy. You need to cultivate a critical and merciless approach to your photography. Ask yourself when reviewing each shot on screen: is this good enough? can I maybe do some post processing that can improve it? do I need to keep it for family reasons even though it's no great shakes as a photo? etc.

As a rough batting average a competent, experienced photographer will probably have one or two keepers - shots that they would be happy to print and frame - out of every 30 shots. Beginners? Maybe one or two out of every sixty. I'm probably being wildly optimistic here for both categories but my point is that you need to become your own harshest critic if your photography is to improve. Delete, delete, delete.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭randomer

sNarah wrote: »
    1OOO foto's in a day? What the ** where you snapping away at :pac:?

I second the external drive or DVDdisk, notheless, I would go through them and maybe delete some?

:D

I was at a track day and I got a little excited! I was amazed how quick the numbers added up. I did delete any of the dodgy images, but most of the photos looked quite well.

I think DVD and external disk might be the way to go. I don't want to have a single point of failure and lose all of my images.

Thanks to everyone for all the responses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

1 out of 60? lol I'd say that is quite optimistic for beginners - I remember when I started off, it was nearer to 1 in 100 (looking back on my first 1000 shots).

Now I'm thinking of buying an old film camera with manual focus lenses - enjoy the act of taking a photo without worries about what it might turn out like.

Advertisement