Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

making a video for first time with young people

Options
  • 23-01-2009 11:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Hi was moochin around and thought i would ask for some advice if anyone able to help. :)

I work in a youth service and currently working on storyline for really short video with a group. its taken us ages to get even the story together, now thinkin of starting to video and i'm afraid that i'm not going to be able to pull it together once we've done that. we have a small sony video camera which takes dvd-rw, i did try to read this thread
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055436680
    though i'll be honest i kind of got lost
    so do we basically work away videoing, finalise the dvd, put in computer comvert to avi?? :confused: then edit into something like a dvd using windows movie maker? i think there may be need for a fair amount of cutting and pasting, and we have a narrative that has to be built in someway as well.

Is it realistic that we'll be able to work this out when we are doing it, i really don't want want to disappoint the kids or end up having to ask someone to come in and redo it...

Also someone said to me about using an external harddrive to load dvd onto as would bring computer to standstill would this be right? i don't have one and don't really want to buy one cos we wouldn't use it other wise.

thanks a mill if you've read this all and can give me any clue

:D i have a tendency to start things without knowing whats involved, and don't see need to get professionals in to do something we could learn to do ourselves..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭okee

What Sony model is it ?
    just from reading on the web, the dvd cams seem to be designed for
    convienence, film, finalise and put in your dvd player, they're not really
    geared for someone who wants to do a lot of editing.
    AFAIK you'd need to copy the data from the dvd onto your computer
    then convert it to a format that can be edited in windows movie maker
    or another editing package, all seem a bit long winded.
    Is there any information in your manual about editing ?

You could pick up a minidv cam (+ firewire card and cable if your computer
    doesn't have one) for under €200 Canon MD205
    editing with this would be just a case of connecting the cam to your pc and
    importing the video through your Editing software, then when finished editing burn it to
    a dvd.
    There's also the SD and HD cams.
    :D i have a tendency to start things without knowing whats involved, and don't see need to get professionals in to do something we could learn to do ourselves..
    It's actually a lot more fun to do it yourself, gets the kids more interested too.
    What part of the country are you based in.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 fintonagirl

Thanks for the reply. i'm not in work at the mo but think it is a Sony Handycam DCR-DVD205 Camcorder. I know its a bit of a pain, manual seems to have gone astray, when i first started looking at it thought it must be missing cable to connect to computer then realised it didn't work that way.

based in north co. dublin. would prefer to hold back on buying as this is esentially a small project and don't wanna waste money when we do have this camera. know we have access to a panasonic or samsung dvd camera which also has sd slot and link to computer but missing charger :rolleyes:....

maybe wont be that timeconsuming to convert think its about 10 scenes max, as i said before a very amateur first production so would prefer to leave off buying more equipment or packages til i see how we get on with this one and if the interest would be be there..

thanks for help

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

Have you a camcoder that recognises uses tape? Windows movie maker wont reconognise dvds but it will recognise minidv tape.

if not What software are you planning to edit with? if you are using something like ulead video studio or pinnacle it will be able to 'read' the dvd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

Hi was moochin around and thought i would ask for some advice if anyone able to help. :)

I work in a youth service and currently working on storyline for really short video with a group. its taken us ages to get even the story together, now thinkin of starting to video and i'm afraid that i'm not going to be able to pull it together once we've done that. we have a small sony video camera which takes dvd-rw, i did try to read this thread
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055436680
    though i'll be honest i kind of got lost
    so do we basically work away videoing, finalise the dvd, put in computer comvert to avi?? :confused: then edit into something like a dvd using windows movie maker? i think there may be need for a fair amount of cutting and pasting, and we have a narrative that has to be built in someway as well.

Is it realistic that we'll be able to work this out when we are doing it, i really don't want want to disappoint the kids or end up having to ask someone to come in and redo it...

Also someone said to me about using an external harddrive to load dvd onto as would bring computer to standstill would this be right? i don't have one and don't really want to buy one cos we wouldn't use it other wise.

thanks a mill if you've read this all and can give me any clue

First of all that is a good attitude, you won't learn anything without taking a plunge into the unknown.

Extra info needed is:
    1.What format, file extension are the files when you put them onto the computer? A file extension looks like... .doc .swf .flv etc. Look for this on the file after you put it onto your computer based on the camera software that you installed.

2. What Operating system (OS) are you using? the (OS) could be windows vista, 2000, 95 etc.

3. What computer are you using... Could be Mac or PC.

4. What will you be playing the final output on i.e a dvd player or a projector connected to a computer?

Sony uses a lot of proprietary formats which are a pain to convert but anything is possible. From this format though it could be possible to convert it into something editable. There are a large number of options for conversion and editing and eventual output in a format that can be played.

The more info the better really.

As for the above... Playing the finished file on the computer itself is faster than playing it from a hard-drive. Again it really depends on the computer and the OS that you are using. That is vague at best from the 'someone'. I suspect that they meant that you don't have much hard drive space on said computer?

• Advertisement

ok finalised a dvd -r that was in the camera, put it in computer and is showing up various eg. video_ts.bup, video_ts.ifo, video_01_2.vob but can't open them.

don't have software or manual that may have come with handycam. would have thought before i realised its bit more complicated, that i would use windows movie maker cos thats what is on the laptop.

operating system seems to be microsoft windows xp, professional version 2002?

was gonna start videoing with the handycam today but now not sure whether to wait til i'm a bit more sure, definitely don't want to hav to make them reshoot.....

thanks for all the help honestly, i wouldn't have a clue but would love to learn a bit :)

The manual if it's a DVD205 is here
    http://www.docs.sony.com/release/DCRDVD105-205-305.pdf
    you can save it to your computer.

From the sony website:
    How to transfer video from the camcorder DVD using the DVD-ROM drive on a computer.
    Solution

IMPORTANT:

* The DVD must be finalized in the camcorder prior to beginning this procedure. Refer to your owner's manual for detailed information on the procedure to finalize a disc using the camcorder. Manuals are available online in the Manuals/Specs/Warranty section of the Sony® eSupport Web site.
    * Do not use an 8cm CD adapter with the 8cm DVD. Doing so may cause a malfunction. If the DVD-ROM drive does not support an 8cm disc, use the USB transfer procedure instead.

1. Insert the camcorder DVD into a computer DVD-ROM drive that supports 8cm discs.
    2. On the computer desktop, click the Start button and then click My Computer .

NOTE: If available, you can double-click the My Computer icon on the desktop instead.
    3. In the My Computer window, right-click the DVD Drive icon, then click Open .
    4. Right-click the appropriate folder and then click Copy .
    * For still images, right-click the DCIM folder.
    * For movie files, right-click the VIDEO_TS folder.
    5. Right-click on the desktop and then click Paste .

NOTE: The folder and all the contents in the folder will be copied to the desktop of the computer.
    6. On the computer desktop, right-click the newly copied folder and then click Rename .
    7. Type a new name for the folder.
    8. Press the ENTER key on the keyboard.

NOTE: This solution only applies to DVD-RW, DVD+RW, and DVD-R recorded with a DVD Handycam® camcorder. Copying movie files from copyright-protected DVDs is not supported.

If windows movie maker can't pull in the files from the VIDEO_TS folder
    you may need to use a commercial editing package like Videostudio
    Demo available here (not the latest version but should run ok on your system)
    http://www.download.com/VideoStudio-Plus-/3000-2139_4-10499.html?tag=mncol&cdlPid=507941

If your windows Xp version is 2002 and it says nothing about the services pack version you may need to update it to service pack 2 just to get some packages to install.
    You can check by going to control panel/system and click the general tab
    it'll also tell you how much memory is installed (more than likely it has 128 or 256)

ok finalised a dvd -r that was in the camera, put it in computer and is showing up various eg. video_ts.bup, video_ts.ifo, video_01_2.vob but can't open them.

as stated by another poster you need to use something like ulead video studio. I think you can get it for a 30 day trial period. Most other editer programs cant read dvds. Even the expensive

Ulead isnt as easy as window movie make but it is pretty easy

don't have software or manual that may have come with handycam. would have thought before i realised its bit more complicated, that i would use windows movie maker cos thats what is on the laptop.

operating system seems to be microsoft windows xp, professional version 2002?

was gonna start videoing with the handycam today but now not sure whether to wait til i'm a bit more sure, definitely don't want to hav to make them reshoot.....

thanks for all the help honestly, i wouldn't have a clue but would love to learn a bit :)
    Download this: http://www.download.com/VLC-Media-Player/3000-13632_4-10267151.html
    It will pretty much play anything. Including the Vob files which are dvd files.

heya, did a practice on a drama we videod in past. am still struggling but have got somewhere, managed to convert to avi, used windows movie maker to cut out bits i didn't want. bit dodgy looking, very dark theatre and i couldn't really get it to look better but got it copied onto cd and now can play it on computer. so what do i do if i want to make to dvd playable on tv....? don't have nero or the rest, was trying via realplayer but wanted be to download package.. i started messing downloading copytoDVD manager and convertxtodvd trials but have confused myself and all working very slow on laptop.

thanks again for the help...

• Advertisement

Try Sothink Movie DVD Maker it's free
    http://www.sothinkmedia.com/movie-dvd-maker/download.htm

Looks easy enough but haven't used it myself.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Sounds like a lot of work!
    I could just lend you my camera if you want? I'm in DCU (I would say Ballymun/Santry/Glasnevin but no one seems to be able to decide where this place is)

It's in Cork so it'd be after the weekend that I'd have it again. It's just a basic handheld one, does widescreen. I only use it in the summer so would love to see it getting some action before it seizes up and dies.

If you do decide you want it. It'd be MiniDVs you'd be working with. For that it's best that you find a computer with a Firewire slot and a firewire cable (most macs would have this). I've lost my cable else I would give you mine. I found that for every hour shot, it took up about 15 Gigs on my hard drive. Crazy amount! But nowadays a lot of computers have 200Gigs so you could do it without the use of an external hard drive.
    I even managed to make a movie on my 80Gig hard drive by continually deleting the bits I knew I wouldn't want.

heya, did a practice on a drama we videod in past. am still struggling but have got somewhere, managed to convert to avi, used windows movie maker to cut out bits i didn't want. bit dodgy looking, very dark theatre and i couldn't really get it to look better but got it copied onto cd and now can play it on computer. so what do i do if i want to make to dvd playable on tv....? don't have nero or the rest, was trying via realplayer but wanted be to download package.. i started messing downloading copytoDVD manager and convertxtodvd trials but have confused myself and all working very slow on laptop.

thanks again for the help...

ok so is the finished an AVI? if so you can convertxtodvd to make it inot a dvd.
    use this guide
    http://wwww.blindwrite.com/products/convert_x_to_dvd/tutorial_en/index.html

Follow that guide dont bother customising the menue too much. just put in the name of the film

yeah i used convertxtodvd but becuase i didn't buy it just used trial version it has stuff poppin up on screen during movie...

thanks dory, yeah i will always find a way to make a relatively easy undertaking complicated :D our camcorder also used minidv does this mean that i could use this fire.. cable? with my camera. thanks so much for the offer..
    or am i spoofing is minidv same as 8mm dvd..

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭decob

minidv
    mini-DVD

:rolleyes:

yeah i used convertxtodvd but becuase i didn't buy it just used trial version it has stuff poppin up on screen during movie...

yea the trial version is watermarked

thanks dory, yeah i will always find a way to make a relatively easy undertaking complicated :D our camcorder also used minidv does this mean that i could use this fire.. cable? with my camera. thanks so much for the offer..
    or am i spoofing is minidv same as 8mm dvd..

You can use minidvd if you have a firewire lead AND a firewire connection on your pc ( a lot of pc dosnt have it)

just wanted to say thanks so much for all the help. i have managed to get practice moviemaker film copied to cd and dvd. happy enough with that for the moment. still in video stage of short film with my group.

happy enough that can at least do that for the moment though we'll see in the future if we look at doing a course or getting more skills in area of film making

thanks a mill again

Advertisement