Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taking up honours Irish for the LC now

Options
  • 23-01-2009 7:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi Guys,

Need help here ! Got a mad notion last week to do honours Irish exam next June. I did ordinary level back in 97 and regretted not having taken on honours paper, so I want to put that to rest. Love watching tg4 but have to refer to the subtiltles a lot.
    Education system seems to be better these day and I see that there's a lot of advice at hand through the web.

Have registered for the exams today and printed off past exam papers and now I'm ready to learn learn learn !! Just need to know what books L.C students are using in school. I.e An bhfuil filíocht, stair na gaeilge etc sa leabhair amháin? (This is my main question) Looking for text books name??

Plan is to learn off a load of stuff for oral exam and prepare for aiste, hoping that something on the economy etc comes up. If anybody can forward on material, phrases for economic recession, then I'd be ever so grateful. All advice is welcome. I'm determined to get this exam.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

We're using Fiuntas 1 and 2. F1 covers aistes (not that well), grammar and stair while F2 covers pros and poetry. There could be better books though. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Just gonna split this thread off from that mock thread, makes for easier reading and less confusion!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭pepsicokeacola

no dont think ya can actually do that. sorry but i'd suggest waiting until next year unless you could afford the best grinds and even then you could struggle. so ye bye

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭djcervi

The book I'm using is Diograis Nua. I'm studying A thig Na tit orm as my extra literature piece. Also my teacher gets us this booklet of essays (Called an dreimire) and written pieces on things like the death of the celtic tiger, climate change, etc. You can get it from Gael linn under subscription for about 20 euro I think.

Adh Mor!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

Monzo wrote: »
    We're using Fiuntas 1 and 2. F1 covers aistes (not that well), grammar and stair while F2 covers pros and poetry. There could be better books though. Best of luck.

Ye we're using the same books but also use:

An Trial aswell which is a play and

An dTuigeann Tu? which is an oral book.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

no dont think ya can actually do that. sorry but i'd suggest waiting until next year unless you could afford the best grinds and even then you could struggle. so ye bye

I think she/he can do it. I mean why not? If they really want to do it they should do it now and if they fail they could always try again next year.

The Institute offer evening courses in Irish so if your from Dublin you could enroll in them

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,228 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Don't base your revision on past papers, base it on the syllabus.
    Just because something hasn't been asked, doesn't mean it can't be.

Re the economy - the exam papers will have been set a fair while ago, so don't bank on anything recent (since Dec. or so) coming up.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭postalservice

spurious wrote: »
    Don't base your revision on past papers, base it on the syllabus.
    Just because something hasn't been asked, doesn't mean it can't be.

Re the economy - the exam papers will have been set a fair while ago, so don't bank on anything recent (since Dec. or so) coming up.

:p
    I see what you did there

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Corkonion: I'd sugest getting Fiuntas 1 for the paper 1 section, it'l have advice on essays and comprehensions. Dunno how good it is cos we only use Fiuntas 2. Get Fiuntas 2 for poetry, prose and stair. Do you know you have to study An Triail? That might be a little difficult as you wont have a teacher to help you get to grips with it. There's a very good book of notes for the play called "An Triail", it's a red book, it's very good and has notes on the themes and characters.

For aural just keep doing what you're doing and listen to TG4.

For oral, do you know anyone who speaks Irish? Try and make them talk with you as much as possible.

Out of interest, qhat sort of grade are you looking for?

Best of luck!

Advertisement