Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

unfair?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭postalservice

Business is very useful.:mad:
    I know my rights!:P

Just leave it everyone please.

Everyone knows Irish is the easiest A1 going

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,228 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

What is extraordinary is that someone with a Leaving Certificate level of education can come out with the sort of drivel that has been spouted by some in this thread.

Oh how standards have slipped since 'my day'.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Ok guys I know you love posting fail pictures and picking on people whose opinions you don't agree with, but I don't think the OP is trolling. He/she has an opinion and is willing to back it up. You can have a debate with him/her if you like, just don't be dragging this thread completely off topic with "omg u r troll/ I h8 ur spelling!" crap.

I got a reported post or two about the OP's "text speak". We're not complete nazis, the odd "wud" ir "u" isn't the end of the world.

As a general rule, attack the post, not the poster.

I'll lock this thread if it keeps going the way it has been.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

While the OP is not exactly coming across well, the general point he/she is making is fair enough.

I'm doing some of the subjects that people consider to have a heavier heavier work load or just generally harder (Higher Maths, History etc) and I do sometimes look at the Geography students drawing waterfalls and think "SO UNFAIR I should get more points there's more essays in History rabble rabble rabble"

At the end of the day everyone is good at different things. Play to your strengths, whatever they may be, and everything should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

pepsicokeacola: You have been making quite a few inflammatory posts recently, and you seem to be developing personal problems with some posters here. These do not bode well.

Now, to get back on topic. The reason subjects like art and music are examined is because different people are good at different things, and the LC, as poorly as it is doing so, is trying to reward this sort of thing. And yes, imo, PE should be an exam subject too.
    Think about this; you have an artistic genius who can't learn off definitions for the life of them, who's not good at maths and has no head for languages. But oh, they can draw, they can come up with amazing ideas for paintings and then execute them. They want to go to college to study art, but they end up getting 5 points in the LC because they're not good at any of the "traditional" subjects. Does it not make sense that they should get points from a subject like Art? (Though hilariously enough, in this case, the person would probably get a B1 at best due to Art History.)

I actually found Art History to be the hardest exam I took in the LC. Much harder than "real" subjects like Maths and Physics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

I think art history is really hard. I do higher maths and I actually think it's harder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

What is unfair is the prospect of extra points being given to higher level maths students.

What is unfair is the fact that students who do their exams through Irish get extra points.

What is unfair is how languages like Italian and German are much easier for the LC than French.

Art is a skill, requires study and has one of the lowest A rates in the LC and it is that you decide to pick on. Wake the f**k up!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

K4t wrote: »
    What is unfair is the prospect of extra points being given to higher level maths students.

What is unfair is how languages like Italian and German are much easier for the LC than French.

But Higher Maths is possibly one of the hardest LC subjects, its workload is huge, if I look around the study after school, I'll see someone working at maths, look around an hour later, theyre still at it!
    2 people in my Chem class, failed the Xmas exam, these guys are smart guys, who actually study, but they cant see themselves doing well because of the insane amount of work they have to put into Maths.

German is more than likely harder then French at LC level.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Whoah now, let's not be making crazy statements! French is MUCH easier than German for the LC (IMHO etc...).

Fad wrote: »
    But Higher Maths is possibly one of the hardest LC subjects, its workload is huge, if I look around the study after school, I'll see someone working at maths, look around an hour later, theyre still at it!
    2 people in my Chem class, failed the Xmas exam, these guys are smart guys, who actually study, but they cant see themselves doing well because of the insane amount of work they have to put into Maths.
    This may sound ironic but Art takes just as much time. Two of my friends do Art and spend around an hour drawing and an hour doing Art History whenever we're studying!

History which I do consists of 4 long books of which you need to know the guts of 50 essays and even then the way the question is asked may catch you out.

Most people who do honours maths are naturally gifted at maths, phsyics, applied maths etc. and they pick those subjects. They usually do better in the LC than English, history, french students. Why give them extra points?

We never stop hearing how 'equal' and 'fair' the LC when in fact it's not, and giving extra points to Honours maths students would completely undermine what the LC is supposed to be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Doesn't warrant giving more points to HL Maths. Of course, I'd haved loved that because I thought maths was the easiest subject for the LC... Nom nom nom free points nom?

I think if they were to give more points to HL maths, they should add more to the course. Maybe add differential equations from the app. maths course, maybe some multi-variable calculus and perhaps make two of the options compulsory questions. Things like that.

It certianly wouldn't be fair to give extra points for the current course.

I think if they were to give more points to HL maths, they should add more to the course. Maybe add differential equations from the app. maths course, maybe some multi-variable calculus and perhaps make two of the options compulsory questions. Things like that.

It certianly wouldn't be fair to give extra points for the current course.
    And while they're at it, they can add a few more poems and another shakespeare play to English, and I'll happily take the extra points.

Great idea Jammydodger. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

ummmm i have a theory here. you get many wasters doing art thinking its easy(which of course its not) so they expect to need to do nothin and get an a1, but get a shock and get a d2 or somethin like that jus my theory so maby not
    Man you are seriously deluded. Did you ever think that art might actually be a difficult subject witha lot of theory?Also if there was any easy subject then everyone would be doing it.From what I can see you just want to belittle people who are doing art by claiming that their subject is an easy one. If someone gets an A1 in any higher subject then they deserve 100 points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭pepsicokeacola

Man you are seriously deluded. Did you ever think that art might actually be a difficult subject witha lot of theory?Also if there was any easy subject then everyone would be doing it.From what I can see you just want to belittle people who are doing art by claiming that their subject is an easy one. If someone gets an A1 in any higher subject then they deserve 100 points.

well i guess that settles it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

This must have been one of the most unpopular threads in a long time

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭a5y

any1 else think its outlandish the way some people pick art which is much easier than other subjects yet get the same points as someone who does a real subject?

Hmmm. I'm going to assume you're not a troll (despite some rather provocative, contradictory and tangental follow-up posts in the thread).

To score well in art at honours level requires submissions of high standards in both the art history and practical sections of the subject. Its combines both the stress of studying for an exam and working in a classroom environment for the applied elements.

Additionally, if the student is aiming for applying for art college they often will need to put together a portfolio of their work, showing personal imput and self-direction: the pieces their art teachers give them for homework won't cut it here. Here they are on their own; there is no textbook answer to memorise, not even a right or wrong answer.

The art history element has a broad range of possible questions, and I've not heard of an art history student who covered every possible eventuality preparing for their art history exam.

If anything I'd say art demands more from students than most other students. I'd even believe in separating the subject into two different subjects - practical arts and art history.

I respect your opinion that you think art is easy. Some stuff like Jackson Pollock paintings almost seems like an insult to hard work and graft, since essentially it looks like nothing more than paint spilt on a canvas and sold for an absurd price.

But submitting something as feckless as that for the leaving cert won't get anyone anything. I'd even advise someone who loves art but is stuck in the points race for a high points course to avoid the subject; the statistics show its less likely a student will get an A1 in it than many of the other subjects. That is perhaps something educational officials in the government should find alarming, if it places and value in Irish culture.
    any1 else think its outlandish the way some people pick art which is much easier than other subjects yet get the same points as someone who does a real subject?

So to answer your question: No, in fact I think the examiners should be readjusting their marking so that the number of A1s given to students doing art is closer to other subjects. I also think that the portfolios art students put together should contribute towards their Leaving Cert marks too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

This isn't because Higher Maths is hard.

It's because it's fun! :pac:
    Most people who do honours maths are naturally gifted at maths, phsyics, applied maths etc. and they pick those subjects. They usually do better in the LC than English, history, french students. Why give them extra points?
    Ah yes good old Maths, Applied Maths and Physics. Unlike those bastards English and French. History isn't like those guys though. History makes sense. English and French can burn in hell. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭a5y

Davidius wrote: »
    This isn't because Higher Maths is hard.

It's because it's fun! :pac:

Annoyingly since leaving secondary school I've found things maths related far more enjoyable than they were in secondary school.

Gawd forbid we ever learn any examples (never mind any interesting examples) of practical and every day uses of some of the stuff in honours maths; there's no time for that you're in The Points Race! f(x): without knowing its possible applications in guidance systems for missile trajectory is just "yet more boring crap" sadist maths teachers dreamt up to stress me with.

I hope the approach to honours maths has changed since I was put through school.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭MeetReality

Just had a brief look over the post and I actuallydo Art and would consider it one of my toughest subjects,due the amount of work and practice put into improving my Still Life and Life Drawing techniques etc. 80% of the people in my class are not wasters and actually have a talent in Art. Plus I wouldn't consider roughly 11 hours of exam time "easy"

2 and a Half hours for a still life
    2 and a Half for written paper
    5 hour craft exam
    45 minutes for life drawing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Twinkle-star15

imo art is for the people who feel history will be just too much for them.

In fifth year I picked art and history. I did both for junior cert (A in History, B in Art). I gave up Art after 2 months, I'm still doing History. Unless you have done either of these subjects, get a freakin clue!

Advertisement