Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jumping from the quincentennial bridge

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭F.Galway

The water is awful cold this time of year!

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭clived2

http://www.emigrant.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=14543&Itemid=232

I was at the funeral, dont be stupid,

It was one of the most tragic things I have ever been too.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭gavkm27

Jumped it many a time and had always heard rumors of lads breaking their legs on shopping trolleys and whatever else is down there,used to wear runners and leg it across the road when there was no cars,great craic,but as other posters have said,you really need to know what you doing.

As a group of salthill/knocknacarragh lads we grew up down blackrock and have always searched for bigger and higher stuff to jump off,Barna and Spiddeal piers on a lowish tide are high,but the daddy is An Phoil An Pheiste in the Aran Islands,see below

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

^^^^it's so cool there, it's an amazing feature; an easy jump tho, as you've no worries about depth there.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Don't do it RAG week with a couple of drinks on you. A mate of mine attempted that in first year and nearly drowned.

Was this 2 or 3 years ago on the Monday? My husband witnessed it, scary stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭39steps

Don't do it, jumping from that bridge is completely stupid.

1. A student ended up in a wheelchair a couple of years ago after trying it.
    2. A friend of my Dad's committed suicide by jumping off that bridge.

The time and cost of the police, fire brigade, ambulance, army and security personnel is enormous and the heartbreak of searching for a body for a week until it turns up in the Claddagh Basin or the Oranmore shoreline.

Please, please, don't do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

Do it if you want to do it, and understand the risks.

It's good fun. Balls to anyone else who says not to.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

wet-paint wrote: »
    Do it if you want to do it, and understand the risks

'Cos if it goes wrong, it's not like there will be any consequences for you, or for anyone else. :rolleyes:

Which do you think would be worse: Dead? Or qualrapledgic, and needing someone else (your mum, perhaps) wiping your arse for you for the rest of your life?

I'm with Lapin. COP ON.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

I find it very hard to believe that the Corrib is only 8/9 feet deep as has been suggested by some in this thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

People have no right to be telling others not to jump in. They can do what they bloody well want. I wouldn't jump in because I'd poo myself on the way down but it's a free country. If people want to get a risky adrenaline rush, let them off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

jordainius wrote: »
    I find it very hard to believe that the Corrib is only 8/9 feet deep as has been suggested by some in this thread?

I have been using the Corrib for about 12 years now and know it pretty well, especially the river

To add to that I have conducted a full hydrographic survey of the Corrib in partnership with a friend.

I can confirm that in the summer the area at the Q bridge can go as low as 7.5ft but averages around 8 - 8.5ft. Now, that is the depth to the river bed, excluding foreign objects. Granted, there is not *that* much debris at the bridge but there is the odd bicycle/trolley.

In conclusion, as a swimmer/diver/kayaker/general-water-obsesso I wouldn't be in a rush to jump off there! Just jump off the pillars at Woodquay if yer mad to jump into the river from a height

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Aiel

A few years ago on Paddys Day 2 students were a bit drunk and decided on the spur of the moment to jump into the river from the bridge.Long story short the first guy jumped in and barely made it out,the 2nd guy landed on a trolley,broke his leg and drowned.
    Moral of the story,DO NOT jump in after drinking.If you are jumping then KNOW where the right spot to jump is.

JustMary wrote: »
    'Cos if it goes wrong, it's not like there will be any consequences for you, or for anyone else. :rolleyes:

Which do you think would be worse: Dead? Or qualrapledgic, and needing someone else (your mum, perhaps) wiping your arse for you for the rest of your life?

I'm with Lapin. COP ON.

Tell you what, I won't tell you not to be off dogging out in Silver Strand taking it three ways from Five guys named Leroy with gold in their teeth, and you don't tell me not to be jumping off high shít.

It's none of my business to be telling you what to do, just as it's none of your business to tell me or others what to do.
    Christ almighty.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭gavkm27

^^^^it's so cool there, it's an amazing feature; an easy jump tho, as you've no worries about depth there.

Water depth does'nt make a jump easy,if it's shallow that does'nt mean it's hard,its plain suicide
    We used to try jump blackrock on lower and lower tides jumping hard left from west side to land on softest sand and go in at angle.Until my friend broke both his ankles.
    26-28m is not easy,watch my video and again and listen to the echo of the clack as i hit the water,thats my arse as i went in slighty off due to be rushed a bit by the cameraman,i could'nt sit down for nearly 6 weeks.
    It's very hard to control your body in the air,you hit the water very hard.
    Not an easy jump

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Tell you what, I won't tell you not to be off dogging out in Silver Strand taking it three ways from Five guys named Leroy with gold in their teeth, and you don't tell me not to be jumping off high shít.

It's none of my business to be telling you what to do, just as it's none of your business to tell me or others what to do.
    Christ almighty.

Ha ha, five guys named Leroy!!:D

Christ almighty.

I've got bad news for you. Society is going to continue to tell you to

1) stop at red traffic lights
    2) feed, clothe and not beat up your kids
    3) drive under the speed limit
    4) pay taxes
    5) not steal stuff from shops

and a whole heap of other stuff, including not jumping off things that are very risky to jump off.

Get used to it.

Good Lord, you don't see the point of what I said at all, do you? And why your last post is nonsensical?

You've posted examples of laws. I'm not talking about the law. Your inclusion of the law in this conversation is retarded.

Did you know that dogging is legal in Ireland? The Gardai have no problem with you getting on your knees in a carpark and chugging cum from random strangers, but I find it distasteful, as do many in society.

Just as they have no problem with me jumping off of a bridge, however society sees it.. Y'see, that was an analogy I made. Comparing like with like.
    Did you get that? Did you follow?
    When you tried to compare bridge jumping with breaking red lights or batterin' the chislers you failed at making an analogy.

You should try it some time. The free fall is a nice rush.

*Dogging is probably illegal on some grounds, possibly public decency or something. I've no idea, haven't been caught yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

gavkm27 wrote: »
    26-28m is not easy,watch my video and again and listen to the echo of the clack as i hit the water,thats my arse as i went in slighty off due to be rushed a bit by the cameraman,i could'nt sit down for nearly 6 weeks.
    It's very hard to control your body in the air,you hit the water very hard.
    Not an easy jump

There's only such an echo because due to it's structure, plus the water, it's like an auditorium for sound. I'm sorry to hear that you hurt yourself doing it tho, as six weeks of it hurting to sit down must have been painful! I've jumped it a few times without problem. But then, I grew up jumping into water off higher heights than that. I'll still jump off heights into water given any chance:pac:

Plus I'm female, and we tend to have more 'padding' in that area, so maybe that helps:p

(I'm not from Galway btw)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

Christ on a bike, what ever happened to youthful exuberance and having a lust for life?

Well this thread shows that plenty of people still have it but there's also a lot willing to piss on others parades.

Yes it may be mildly stupid but then again so is mountain climbing, or climbing a tree as a young fella.

Young men are natural risk takers, it's what helped us evolve as a species, deal with it :)

Some people seem to spend so much effort preserving life that they forget how to live it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Jimmy9Irons

Well said slasher, the PC brigade are alive and well on boards, always were and always will be. Jumped it myself a few times in my youth, great craic. I only ever jumped it sober though, doing it drunk as some have is wreckless, but if you're a good swimmer its no biggie...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Driving to Mayo is difficult but fun, I wouldn't say do it drunk, but if you're a good driver, no biggie.... Wait! What?

Ah careful now, Wet-paint, you're the one that initially comparing jumping off a bridge to sex with five men! Ha ha! :p

Look, doing any 'sport' drunk is daft, and plenty of people have gotten hurt doing stuff drunk that wouldn't have hurt them sober. Our judgement is off when drunk, simple as that.

This thread has gone a bit nuts. People seem to be going off about a God given right to jump off the bridge at this spot. Is it legal even? I doubt it. And this in a thread when there are links to people dying.

Yeah we do have free will, and we also have the right to express an opinion on it. However if it IS illegal, then we don't have a right to condone and promote it on boards.
    No one wants to take away craic from life, people just have different versions of what that is. Maybe a bit of it is age of the posters, I dunno.
    I think the suggestion that John and some posters who know the river better is sound, the pillars at Woodquay. What's the difference in the craic?

The height. Higher is more funner.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

The height. Higher is more funner.

Ok, fair enough. But it sounds like there isn't the depth to match the height, at least by 'sporting' standards. Not with the wild card of unknown metal debris anyway. Can't people light their farts mid air, or something, at Woodquay, to make it more fun.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭apoeiguq3094y

During the winter there is a strong current in that river. Anyone who ends up in the river below the weir is usually taken out in a body bag. There have been a tragic number of fatalities in the river lately. I get a sickening feeling everytime I hear a helicopter, because it usually means that a (futile) search and rescue is underway.

You just have to ask yourself. is it worth jumping in the river ( which has a significant number of deaths associated with it) or would it be easier to go to blackrock and jump of the diving boards? The river is absolutely baltic too so if you are going to do it wait until the summer.

I saw a few people do it during rag week last year. They were on the north side of the bridge, and when they realised how high it was they decided to turn back their "friends" pushed them off. It was hilarious, but I also laugh at people faceplanting on concrete too.

But those 2 guys who died 4 years ago doing it wasn't funny. All depends on how much you want to do it really.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭drum!

My missus and her mates used to do it during the summer when they were mitching school. Just asked her about it there to clarify before i replied and she said," I did, but i'd never, ever do it again."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Well said slasher, the PC brigade are alive and well on boards, always were and always will be.

You've posted examples of laws. I'm not talking about the law.

Goodness me ... I wonder how laws get to be laws, and why they were made in the first place! 'cos really, they're just about people telling YOU what do do - and how DARE they!

Alll I can say is - if you're going to jump off the Quin bridge, please do it before you father any children: ie give evolution a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭ValerieR

Personally, I don't really care if you want to hurt yourself badly and suffer accordingly by jumping from anywhere.
    What I am most concerned about is the time, effort, money and risks taken by the rescue crews in endeavouring to get you out of trouble. Indeed, while they are trying to bail you out, they can't intervene for 'real' emergencies . . .
    Do rescue services charge people for call-outs that could be put down to such actions (ie not 'real' emergencies)?
    V

Advertisement