Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A little bit of night time for C&C please...

• 24-01-2009 1:03am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭

So my first pic i feel is worthy of uploading for some C&C.
    I took this shot earlier today with a long 30sec exposure on my EOS 1000D with the kit lens...
    3221554142_2199a3ec51.jpg?v=0
    You can check out the full size and original one here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/34683382@N04/3221539040

I'ld love to know what you guys feel about it and if there's anything i could have done better for future pics... I agree its not the best scenery but well, its a start i presume! :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

It's quite a busy scene but in general terms i still like it.

I love the sparkle you get from long exposure. I wonder is the exposure slightly too long - i'd like to have seen it overall darker but still retain the sparkle.

The bottom of the image has an area of black (paving / puddle or whatever) which has no context. That could be crop'd out or taken from a distance back to give it context if there is anything interesting about it.

The light trails from the cars aren't as definitive as the could be - again perhaps a shorter exposure would help but others here may have more specifics - this i haven't mastered myself as yet.

Nice take though. Well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

I like this shot.

The puddle does have some reflections of the lights in it and the only thing I'd say about it is that it the water was still enough to have a sharp reflection then it'd add something to the shot otherwise it is a little distracting as an area that sucks you into nothingness (if that makes any sense?)

The area under the glass canopy is overexposed and some lens flare is evident.

It is possible to take these type of shots without lens flare but it takes practice and patience (try removing any filter you may have on the lens as this can sometimes help, as can a lens hood or peice of card).

Great start I'd say, keep practicing as I reckon you've got potential for the night time shots.

Its hard to find a good location that offers an interesting scene and a range of colour but this one has potential. Well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Cheers for the replies...
    That "puddle" is actually the table i set my camera on to take the picture (as i don't have a proper tripod as of yet), i only realized it after i took the shot. I guess i should crop it out if i wanna make anything exciting out of this pic.

I quite liked the sparkle from the lights too. But i think 30secs is a little too long exposure for it. The scene became quite bright and the light trails didn't come up that brightly either... I'll try a shorter exposure next time.

But thanks for the replies!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭SBPhoto

The photograph seems to have been deleted!

Advertisement