Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MSC Business Analytics - Smurfit

Options
  • 24-01-2009 1:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I have just applied for this course,
    is there any one on here who has experience of the course that maybe I could ask a few questions,

or can someone tell me what the rest of the application process will be like? maybe it is general for Smurfit?
    cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭graduate

Have you seen this thread
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055426019

and the other threads linked within it.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...ness+analytics

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...tative+finance

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...tative+finance

send a pm to the guys that applied last summer, they are probably doing it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭ucdperson

The MSc in Analytics people will be happy to provide more information, the programme is proving popular but is some way from being full in January.

analytics-contact.gif

In general for applications at this time of year, a strong candidate may be offered a place or a conditional offer for someone that has not completed all of their degree. A more marginal candidate might be asked to provide further information or might have to wait for a place until later in the Spring when the level of demand was clearer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 261 ✭✭blucey

ucdperson wrote: »
    The MSc in Analytics people will be happy to provide more information, the programme is proving popular but is some way from being full in January.

In general for applications at this time of year, a strong candidate may be offered a place or a conditional offer for someone that has not completed all of their degree. A more marginal candidate might be asked to provide further information or might have to wait for a place until later in the Spring when the level of demand was clearer.

whys it closing in January, mind me asking?

whys it closing in January, mind me asking?

It isn't. Does it say somewhere that it is? If so this is incorrect.
    There are further Smurfit open days and promotions for this programme, it is not closed to applications.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

I would like to start this course in September, i made enquiries on the fees etc. I am waiting for my result from college, before i apply.

I was more interested in Management Science but that was scrapped, pity as a lot of people i know are interested in it. And the only other University that does a similar syllabus is in Manchester.

• Advertisement

I am waiting for my result from college, before i apply.

If it is a question of waiting for semester results then that's wise. Do not wait until June though, apply sooner with details of your results to date.
    I was more interested in Management Science but that was scrapped

The MSc in Business Analytics evolved from the Master of Management Science. When the MMangtSc was founded to provide a masters in quantitative approaches in business this field was best described as Management Science, These approaches have evolved over the years and the course did too, presently this field is best described as Business Analytics.
    pity as a lot of people i know are interested in it

The Master of Management Science was never overburdened with applications because people hadn't heard of it or didn't know what it was.
    And the only other University that does a similar syllabus is in Manchester.

There are perhaps 12 or 15 programmes in Britain based on quantitative techniques in business. The UCD programme is similar to these to a greater or lesser extent. However the UCD programme places a greater emphasis on the implementation of quantitative techniques through computer programming than some of the UK programmes.

I note that Manchester now has "Analytics" in its programme name too.

While we are at this topic, the reason i haven't applied is because i was due to graduate last year but failed Concurrency Programming and i repeated the exam last week. I wonder if i should go ahead and apply or wait for that last subject to come through....

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭dr_funkenstein

hey

I applied to this course just before christmas and got offered a place yesterday. If you read through those old threads you can see I was asking about various courses :)

I've a few weeks to accept the offer, so I guess I'll think about and decide by mid feb I guess.

What is attracting you to this MSc?

I'm 26 btw and worked for 3.5yrs in science, but am looking for a bit of a change.

You asking me or the OP?

Congrats! Is this full time/part time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 20somethings

Can someone help me. I do not have a background in computer programming but rather have done qualitative modules related to this course in my business degree. Would I have any chance of getting accepted?

• Advertisement

Can someone help me. I do not have a background in computer programming

Some limited experience of computer programming is required. This is largely to ensure that the student has some aptitude for programming and some interest in doing it. The programme tries to combine programming and maths in a business problem solving context.

If someone has no experience of programming whatsoever in their degree and wants to learn themselves or do a night course or whatever then you can do a test to be admitted to the MSc, see the contact details earlier in the thread.
    but rather have done qualitative modules related to this course in my business degree.

Do you mean quantitative rather than qualitative here?

Anyone interested in a Smurfit course might like to attend the open evening next Wednesday
    http://www.smurfitschool.ie/aboutsmurfit/eventscalendar/smurfitopenevening/

The MSc in Business Analytics presentation is at 17:30, graduates from "quantitative" disciplines might also be interested in the MSc Quant Finance presentation at 18:00.

The fee for the UCD MSc in Business Analytics will be €2000 in the 2009-2010 academic year, as it is funded by the HEA Advanced Skills Programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Have many been accepted for this course yet do you know

I think there's an open day on Wed. Anyone going to this?

Have many been accepted for this course yet do you know

There are noticeably more applications than last year, but the programme is not yet full.
    I think there's an open day on Wed.

There is. The MSc in Business Analytics presentation is at 5:30pm.

Good presentation, i will be applying but i need more information on the fees etc...

I actually will be honoured to get in, seems to be 40places(20 pt and 20ft). Good number of people interested today.

Fingers crossed i suppose :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

MIN2511 wrote: »
    Good presentation, i will be applying but i need more information on the fees etc...

I actually will be honoured to get in, seems to be 40places(20 pt and 20ft). Good number of people interested today.

Fingers crossed i suppose :)

Any chance of a breakdown of the presentation?

Am watching the United match but here ya go
    FT: 2 semesters, 1st semester study 4 compulsory subjects Sept - Dec, 2nd semester 5 subjects to choose 4. Mock demo of Project in March(10%) and project due in Sept.
    PT: 4 semesters, 2 subjects per semester, summer spent working on Project.
    Course is techical, about 40places, half & half(FT & PT).
    What else do you want to know?

Any chance of a breakdown of the presentation?

Something like this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

MIN2511 wrote: »
    Am watching the United match but here ya go
    FT: 2 semesters, 1st semester study 4 compulsory subjects Sept - Dec, 2nd semester 5 subjects to choose 4. Mock demo of Project in March(10%) and project due in Sept.
    PT: 4 semesters, 2 subjects per semester, summer spent working on Project.
    Course is techical, about 40places, half & half(FT & PT).
    What else do you want to know?
    graduate wrote: »
    Something like this

Cheers, was mainly interested in the timing of lectures and the breakdown of the semesters.

• Semester 1
    – Quantitative Methods
    – Numerical Analytics and Software
    – Project Management and Decision Analytics
    – Applied Probability and Statistics
    • Semester 2
    – Analytical Business Modelling
    – Simulation Modelling and Analysis
    – Network Software Modelling
    – Decision Support and Business Intelligence
    • Dissertation

If you have 20/20 full & part time students are the classes on only in the evenings given they have to work together?

What are the hours/days in the evenings/weekends?

Was there much insight given into the project? Will they assign you a company to work with or do you have to find your own (assuming you don't have a company to do this with)?

Anything else of the top of your head?

• Advertisement

Hey, was watching another match -:)

Classes over lap, diff yrs are mixed together. Mostly evening classes. No weekend lectures
    Project: Irish company eg combating fraud in the online gambling.
    There are scholarships to apply for
    Not much more, was less than half an hr.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭thebang

I think this looks like a great course - just posting some job positions here to show the potential of the skills you learn (id would love to do this it seems cool) - I think its an interesting choice and I wish i had the skills to apply

http://list.informs.org/pipermail/decision-analysis-society/2005-July/000045.html

http://directemployers.jobcentral.com/pfizer/82797.html

Reading this read is making me happy that I chose that course! Looking forward to it now.

You say its mostly evening lectures? Anyone have an idea roughly when its starts (~ mid sept?)

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

I think its classes 5-7 tuesday 2-7 wed and 5-7 thursday,

not sure when it starts.

wow, not many hours really. I guess there will be alot of project work?

Damn.. was hoping to have wednesday evenings somewhat free.. :(

A few points.

This programme offers half of the modules in alternate years after 5pm for part-time students. We aim to have these on Tuesday and Thursday (as last year). Full time students attend these classes also and some day time classes. So full time students in semester 2 this year had classes from 14:30-20:30 on Tuesdays, on Wed morning and from 14:30-20:30 on Thursdays. So a full time student might have a class at 2pm with 20 people and one at 5pm with up to 60 people (two years of part-time students).
    • Semester 2
    – Analytical Business Modelling
    – Simulation Modelling and Analysis
    – Network Software Modelling
    – Decision Support and Business Intelligence

For 2009-2010 we've added an optional module in the second semester, Data Mining Techniques and Models. This can taken in place of one of the second semester modules. This further complicates the timetable of course, but you can't have it both ways!
    Will they assign you a company to work with or do you have to find your own (assuming you don't have a company to do this with)?

The hope is that part-timers will find a project in their own organisation. Anyone is encouraged to find their own project, if not there are some projects available. Some of these involve companies, some are more academic e.g. analysing stock exchange share data without a company being directly involved.

UCD starts on 7 September, with a couple of formalities the previous week.

Hey

Thanks alot for all the information.. basically answers most of my questions in one post! I have no idea about project topics etc at the moment.. but I guess most people (starting in sept) will be in the same boat.

I think this looks like a great course - just posting some job positions here to show the potential of the skills you learn

IBM are hiring 4000 analytics bods internationally, no mention of Dublin though!
    http://www-03.ibm.com/press/us/en/pressrelease/27357.wss

4000 :-o

Wow.. does seem like quite a burgeoning industry at the moment. What with SAP buying Business Objects etc not so long ago too. Alot of the big multinationals all seem to be muscling in on it. I guess the days of throwing money at a problem is gone, and its more about increasing the efficiency and effectiveness of what you've got.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Mahns

Ya would be great if there was an interest in graduates for these positions. Going to be doing the M.Sc. in Information Systems Management in NUIG which is very similar to the course in smurfit. Reading that itll take a considerable amount of time to build up to the 4000 strong workforce. Interested in hearings peoples opinions on this!!

Advertisement