Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

higher level irish

Options
  • 24-01-2009 1:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭

higher level irish is way too hard. should here be fewer peoms to learn???? and should the essays be shorter??? in ordinary level you have to write less than a page but with higher your expected to write 3!!!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭pepsicokeacola

laura! wrote: »
    higher level irish is way too hard. should here be fewer peoms to learn???? and should the essays be shorter??? in ordinary level you have to write less than a page but with higher your expected to write 3!!!!!

you see?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

and the listening is hard and EXTREMELY anooying... having to listen to Paedar and Maire/Aine from Dun Na nGall talking about "an ceolchoirm Coldplay"...

Give us a break

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

If you find it too hard, drop down to pass.

The fact is, whats there is whats on the curriculum. I'm sure the same could be said about most other pass/honours comparisons.

you see?

Ye but the differnce in standard shouldn't be as big as it is...

The course is really outdated, I feel thats the main problem.

The course is really outdated, I feel thats the main problem.

Ahahahahaahahahhhaahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

The applied maths course hasn't changed since 1986, if not before that. Outdated mo thóin :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭laura!

The applied maths course hasn't changed since 1986, if not before that. Outdated mo thóin :pac:

were just talking about the irish course

and i have dropped... i had to

most in my year have.... its too much pressure.

An trial was 1st performed in the 60's and written before that.

Some of the poems where written in the 50's (and I think we did one that was from the 20's, but maybe not,not quite sure).

It's the same with the aistes. Very very old.

and i have dropped... i had to

most in my year have.... its too much pressure.

Ye same wit my year. Still do honours but will prob end up dropping. Prob after mocks when I get an E or F

It's called a comparison. :p
    An trial was 1st performed in the 60's and written before that.

Some of the poems where written in the 50's (and I think we did one that was from the 20's, but maybe not,not quite sure).

It's the same with the aistes. Very very old.
    Ah, you mean content wise - not when it was updated last :)

Is there any actual Irish literature being produced enough to make a course out of these days?

the teachers dont care bout ordinary level students tho

wen i dropped just there at xmas there woz no mre room in the ordinary classes

so im still in the higher level room

the teacher just dusnt care n dusnt help me at all

seems to me they just wana help d near fluent students

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

No, there may be problems with the OL course, but the HL course is fine the way it is. HL is meant to challenge the student, and as you may see it does.

Ok - Read the charter - No txt spk allowed.

I seriously can't read what you just wrote without struggle...

wel then dont read it

i'm 17 thats how i type on a computer....

it doesn't take a genius to figure it out

Not on here you don't. You abide by the charter or you get banned.

It's called a comparison. :p

Ah, you mean content wise - not when it was updated last :)

Is there any actual Irish literature being produced enough to make a course out of these days?

Ye meant the content, sorry for not making that clear... No there isn't, so shouldn't the course content be completely overhauled because of this. Obviously something is wrong if no new literature has been produced in years.

I don't hate the Irish langyage as such, it's the ways it's taught and what we have to learn about/write about.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,117 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

[quote=Douglas Tasty Sagebrush;58736195
    [/quote]
    Bimse buan is buairt gach lo is from the 1600s i think

Well honestly, I think the whole Irish course (not talking about level) is wrong anyway. You don't learn a language by learning poetry and stories, or learning the format of a letter..

I really don't know what the Dept. of Education were thinking when they came up with the Irish course, but... alas, if there's no new literature, I doubt they'll change anything on it. And I doubt even more-so that they'll change the course entirely to be proper learning of the language.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭ConmanTheKiller

The department should have got around to changing the course years ago, but alas like everything else it never was. I think the fact that after 13 or 14 years studying a language that most people (including me) can hardly say their name and their date of birth speaks for itself. Weird I can hold a decent conversation in german.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I think the idea is you're meant to have learned the language up to Junior Cert (not be fluent, but have a good grasp of the language) and now you're just studying the language itself, kinda like English.

This doesn't work because Irish is taught so badly at Primary and Junior Cycle level.

I quite like studying poems and poetry, and I really love the stair bit. It would just be better if there were less of an emphasis on poetry and prose and more on topical isues and the oral.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Nothing has changed since 1985 in the realm of applied maths that's within the scope of the LC course. It's not a very fair comparison, in that regard.

I don't agree that the Irish course is particularly outdated as it were, it's just bad. There's no harm in studying things that were written in the 70s, I mean, nobody complains about the fact that Plath's stuff was written in the 50s/60s (they just complain about how depressing it all is : p).

But yes, there is a huge difference between HL and OL in Irish, too much so. If you're doing averagely in HL and drop down to OL, you can basically sleep for the rest of LC and get a good grade. Or so I've been told... OL, from the sounds of it, is barely higher than HL JC level.

• Advertisement

Nothing has changed since 1985 in the realm of applied maths that's within the scope of the LC course. It's not a very fair comparison, in that regard.

I don't agree that the Irish course is particularly outdated as it were, it's just bad. There's no harm in studying things that were written in the 70s, I mean, nobody complains about the fact that Plath's stuff was written in the 50s/60s (they just complain about how depressing it all is : p).

But yes, there is a huge difference between HL and OL in Irish, too much so. If you're doing averagely in HL and drop down to OL, you can basically sleep for the rest of LC and get a good grade. Or so I've been told... OL, from the sounds of it, is barely higher than HL JC level.

But it does suit certain people. Me being one of them. I absolutly hate Irish, and suck at it quite badly. i barely scraped a D in the JC in HL, and tbh, I'd consider myself quite lucky if I managed to get a C in OL for the LC...

It may be quite easy if you're good at the subject, but, if you're not, IMO it's quite adequate.

In a way I think it's (LC OL) easier than JC HL, it's more predictable, no unseen poetry, from what I've seen of the reading comprehensions, theyre easier than JC level (and a bit more leeway in just quoting from the text afaik), all the written pieces are about the same standard as JC standard.......the list goes on.

The problem I see with LC OL, is that theres such a jump in the amount that needs to be done (provided they want a "Decent" grade) by a student who did OL Irish for the JC......

Still I dont think there's much of a problem with thte HL course.

PS this debate has been done to death! stop wasting your time here whinging about the Irish course, when you could actually be studying the Irish course!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

Well honestly, I think the whole Irish course (not talking about level) is wrong anyway. You don't learn a language by learning poetry and stories, or learning the format of a letter..

I really don't know what the Dept. of Education were thinking when they came up with the Irish course, but... alas, if there's no new literature, I doubt they'll change anything on it. And I doubt even more-so that they'll change the course entirely to be proper learning of the language.

tbh I just don't get it when people say this. You have do poetry and stories and letters in english. You've been doing irish since jnr infants so you're expected to be near fluent in Irish by now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

tbh I just don't get it when people say this. You have do poetry and stories and letters in english. You've been doing irish since jnr infants so you're expected to be near fluent in Irish by now
    Well, an important thing to remember here is that most people speak English all the time when they're not in school... so obviously they're going to be more fluent in English. You're expected to be near fluent by the time you get to LC, alright, but it is sadly not the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Ordinary level is not only very hard, but extremely boring.

I'd rather be doing honours Chinese or Japaneese than ordinary Irish.

Waste of my precious life.

K4t wrote: »
    Ordinary level is not only very hard, but extremely boring.

I'd rather be doing honours Chinese or Japaneese than ordinary Irish.

Waste of my precious life.

Ye it would be of more use to you aswell.

130 million speak Japanese

1 billion (I think) speak some form of Chinese

A whopping 70 THOUSAND ppl speak Gaeilge

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Is it really 70,000? I'm glad, I thought it was way less :)

Piste wrote: »
    Is it really 70,000? I'm glad, I thought it was way less :)

Ye I think that's what it is.

Ye I think that's what it is.

"538,283 everyday speakers (2006)" according to my ever faithful and never wrong Wikipedia...........(Thats using census info)

Also "United Kingdom (95,000)" just putting that out there.......

• Advertisement

Fad wrote: »
    "538,283 everyday speakers (2006)" according to my ever faithful and never wrong Wikipedia...........(Thats using census info)

Also "United Kingdom (95,000)" just putting that out there.......

No 500.000 claim to understand Irish, NOT speak everyday.

Advertisement