Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

higher level irish

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

laura! wrote: »
    the teachers dont care bout ordinary level students tho

wen i dropped just there at xmas there woz no mre room in the ordinary classes

so im still in the higher level room

the teacher just dusnt care n dusnt help me at all

seems to me they just wana help d near fluent students

Doesn't care? Or else can't focus solely on an Ordinary Level student because she's got a class full of HL students in front of her who would be somewhat dismayed if she taught you one to one and ignored them?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

No 500.000 claim to understand Irish, NOT speak everyday.

No, its phrased quite deliberately, speak it every day

"1,860,000 with some knowledge (2006)"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

Fad wrote: »
    No, its phrased quite deliberately, speak it every day

"1,860,000 with some knowledge (2006)"

Well really doubt 500,000 speak it evryday... I read somewhere 70,000. I'll try to find a source

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_language

"Estimates of fully native speakers range from under 20,000 up to 80,000 people.[4] [5] [6] The Department of Community, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs estimated in 2007 that about 17,000 people lived in strongly Irish-speaking communities, about 10,000 people lived in areas where there was substantial use of the language, and 17,000 people lived in "weak" Gaeltacht communities; Irish was no longer the main community language in the remaining parts of the official Gaeltacht."

Well really doubt 500,000 speak it evryday... I read somewhere 70,000. I'll try to find a source

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_language

"Estimates of fully native speakers range from under 20,000 up to 80,000 people.[4] [5] [6] The Department of Community, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs estimated in 2007 that about 17,000 people lived in strongly Irish-speaking communities, about 10,000 people lived in areas where there was substantial use of the language, and 17,000 people lived in "weak" Gaeltacht communities; Irish was no longer the main community language in the remaining parts of the official Gaeltacht."

There's a difference between a person who speaks it from the gaeltacht and a person who uses it everyday............

Also its an offence to lie on the census form (Considers ludicrosity of lying down on a census form), so most people take it relatively seriously.

"538,283 (32.5%) speak Irish on a daily basis (taking into account both native speakers and those inside the education system)"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

Fad wrote: »
    There's a difference between a person who speaks it from the gaeltacht and a person who uses it everyday............

Also its an offence to lie on the census form (Considers ludicrosity of lying down on a census form), so most people take it relatively seriously.

But I doubt there is anyone from outside the gaeltacht who speaks Irish everyday... Do you? Do you know anyone who does? I don't and I don't.

And people inside the education only speak Irish in Irish classes (unless they go to a school where everything is learned through Irish)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

I know Dubliners who speak Irish daily, at home, etc. This argument is a bit redundant, though...

But I doubt there is anyone from outside the gaeltacht who speaks Irish everyday... Do you? Do you know anyone who does? I don't and I don't.

And people inside the education only speak Irish in Irish classes (unless they go to a school where everything is learned through Irish)

I do, friends who's parents talk to them only in Irish(who arent in Gaeilscoils!), and Im not in a gaelscoil,

and I speak Irish quite a bit, debating, to particular teachers, with particular friends.

University students.........

Advertisement