Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Beret shapeing

• 24-01-2009 2:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭

Anyone have any good tips on the art that is beret shaping?
    Anyone know anything about the so called "matress method" of shaping your beret?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭cork1

soak your beret with hot water. take it out and put it on your head while its wet. grab the side of it and pull it down over your right ear.get the shape you want and then take it off and fold it. next put it under your matress and leave it there for a week or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Hard Larry

Doesn't say much for your NCOs if your asking on an internet forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

Ahh the ancient and hidden art of beret shaping, passed down from man to boy.:) A couple of different ways are known my personnal favorite take said new beret soak in hot water, wring it out. plunge into cold water, repeat(hopefully causing some shrinkage) wring it out place on bonce, position cap badge over left eye pull the excess and wing down toward right ear, flatten and give the stuff behind the cap badge a bit of a jaunty edge. Carefully take it off and let it dry out shaped as so.

Works everytime.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Hard Larry wrote: »
    Doesn't say much for your NCOs if your asking on an internet forum.

I remember when I was a recruit and our NCO's telling us how to iron our OVERALL's!. And telling the FCA lads to show the complete noobs how to bull boots.

Since most of the overall were too big for us (we were all 18yr skinny little runts) the NCO's told us to BOIL our overall's (to shrink 'em) and "bull" our boots.

One recruit came in on the Monday morning looking for new boots - He told his mammy to BOIL is boots and bull his uniform - god only knows what would have happened to the overall's if he'd lived on a farm!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Company Sgt

do what has been said when ya have the shape iron the bo***x out of it make sure to put towel over it and leave it set then

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

and whatever you do "DONT" shave the bloody thing like a few clever clogs in my platoon decided to do and ended up shaving little holes on the top of the beret

and whatever you do "DONT" shave the bloody thing like a few clever clogs in my platoon decided to do and ended up shaving little holes on the top of the beret

ya have ta shave your beret especially if your in recruit training, thats because they were never shown properly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

it was suggested to us to cut out the lining from the inside of the beret, if it was too tight.
    official word would be not to dare deface military equipment.

Oooo, I never took the lining out, it just goes to ratsh!t if you do, looks cr&p.
    Soakage, wringage, wearage, till it dries out on your head.

ya have ta shave your beret especially if your in recruit training, thats because they were never shown properly
    no ya don,t i never did and never had any problems on inspection always used tape to take the little bobbles of fluff off

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭steyr fan

Someone explain why you would 'shave' your beret? Surely, somebody should have typed 'shape'? No? Yes? No?

Its to take the wooly fluffy look off a newly issued beret, never found the need myself.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭steyr fan

iceage wrote: »
    Its to take the wooly fluffy look off a newly issued beret, never found the need myself.;)

Me neither.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Never shaved my beret yet people always think i did.Alot of people did shave mind you.

thats the proper way if your officers and ncos do it and tell you your gonna do it maybe not in fca recruit training (mickey Mouse) but in the real mccoy ya will do wat they say:pac:

thats the proper way if your officers and ncos do it and tell you your gonna do it maybe not in fca recruit training (mickey Mouse) but in the real mccoy ya will do wat they say:pac:
    our DS never once told us we have to shave our beret and mind ya they did,nt even show us how to put our cefo or cemo together that was a task that was left to me as it was my second time goin through recruits lazy NCO,s

our DS never once told us we have to shave our beret and mind ya they did,nt even show us how to put our cefo or cemo together that was a task that was left to me as it was my second time goin through recruits lazy NCO,s

well ya werent trained rite and ya should have been shown how long ago is that pal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭-boris

Right.Thanks for all the help guys.I think i'll try iceages method and hopefully end up with something that resembles a beret.just one final question,i've heard that ironing the beret can cause it to turn yellow,anyone know wether thid is the case or not from experience,is it advisible to attempt to iron it to hold the shape or not?

also should the water be boiling or luke warm?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Boiling water if the Beret is too big for your head.

There is no real need to Iron it, however it will flatten the Beret and all the fibre's. If you are doing it Iceage's way there is no folding though, so don't Iron it, or it will lose it's shape.

You may need to carry out the process numerous times to get the Beret right.

• Advertisement

ok,boiling water it is then!icon10.gifis it ok to leave the badge on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Ya, the badge will be OK.

Back in! yeah hot water if you need to shrink it, you don't want to shrink the band though, keep that out of the water...(seen some absolute pigs ears made of a perfectly good beret where the wearer would have to split the band to make it fit!)

Just as an afterthought....I take it your in the RDF, have you not been shown by your NCO's? bit of a surprise if you haven't...

ya rdf.We just told to see to it that our berets were folded in the correct manner for the next parade night!it was sort of up to ourselves to use our initiative and do it!Just tried it there and i must say its a far cry from the bakers cap it once wasicon10.gif.Is there any trick of keeping it that way?or just repeated plunging and and pulling etc?

-boris wrote: »
    ya rdf.We just told to see to it that our berets were folded in the correct manner for the next parade night!it was sort of up to ourselves to use our initiative and do it!Just tried it there and i must say its a far cry from the bakers cap it once wasicon10.gif.Is there any trick of keeping it that way?or just repeated plunging and and pulling etc?

Put it under the mattress folded for a day or two.If it dosent take shape,pluinge again and shape again.

Worked for me but it took ages to get it right.

Put it under the mattress folded for a day or two.If it dosent take shape,pluinge again and shape again.

Worked for me but it took ages to get it right.

what way is it folded?length ways or width,badge facing up or down etc?icon11.gif

The soaking is only really required the once, once it starts to shape up you can literally flatten it or fold it, when you wear it again you should be able to shape it again to your bonce dry.

Your training NCO's need a kick up the arse, bad show expecting you to know it all, this is basics and should at least be shown to you how to sort your kit out. There will be the usual inspection next time, you should get away with it nicely.

When they ask you have you done this before, or who showed you how tell them all on the Military thread at Boards said hello.:rolleyes:

Lengthways on the folding, badge down. :)

Will do!Thanks for the helpicon7.gif.

iceage wrote: »
    The soaking is only really required the once, once it starts to shape up you can literally flatten it or fold it, when you wear it again you should be able to shape it again to your bonce dry.

Your training NCO's need a kick up the arse, bad show expecting you to know it all, this is basics and should at least be shown to you how to sort your kit out. There will be the usual inspection next time, you should get away with it nicely.

When they ask you have you done this before, or who showed you how tell them all on the Military thread at Boards said hello.:rolleyes:

Lengthways on the folding, badge down. :)

True about the NCOs!Cant believe they let you figure it out for yourselfs.Ours would make sure ours where right.

All that Iceage posted is basically it.It takes time to get it comfortable but you will get it in the end,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭greenarrow

-boris...
    That's a bit of a poor show from your NCOs. They should have taken the ten seconds or so to show you how to do that. Its so simple to do.:rolleyes:

That's a poor show from them. Either they can't be bothered or they don't know how to look after their troops. I find that very unacceptable, especially as you seem to be switched on.

But as regards shaving berets and not shaving them, the reason some have to be shaved and some don't is down to manufacturing. Some are made by Kangol (v. Gucci indeed) and some by other companies. Its the luck of the draw which kind you get. I am not sure which kind require the maintennance either.

Advertisement