Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game Awards 2008 - The Results!

Options
  • 24-01-2009 2:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭

Over the last week, you've been voting on your favourite games of 2008 across all popular formats. Over 80 people have taken the survey altogether, so I want to thank you for taking the time to give your feedback.

The results in summary are below. If you want to see the results in more detail, then go to the following URL: http://urlx.ie/gameawardsresults/ (Flash Required). Select questions on the left side, and use the buttons under the graph to change the view. Hover over the bars in the graphs for the values.

Note: Some categories have joint winners, and some have joint runners-up (you'll know them when you see them).

And so, on to the results....

Overall: Action/Adventure Game of the Year
    Winner: Gears of War 2 (360)
    Runner-Up: Metal Gear Solid 4 (PS3)

Overall: RPG of the Year
    Winner: Fallout 3 (Multi)
    Runner-Up: Valkyria Chronicles (PS3)

Overall: Puzzle Game of the Year
    Winner: Braid (360)
    Runner-Up: Professor Layton and the Curious Village (DS)

Overall: Sports Game of the Year
    Winner: Fifa 2009 (Multi)
    Runner-Up: Pro Evo 2009 (Multi)

Overall: Strategy Game of the Year
    Winner: Command and Conquer: Red Alert 3 (Multi)
    Runner-Up: Civilisation Revolution (360)
    Runner-Up: Spore (PC)

Overall: Racing Game of the Year
    Winner: Burnout Paradise (Multi)
    Runner-Up: Mario Kart Wii (Wii)

Overall: Overall Game of the Year
    Winner: Left 4 Dead (Multi)
    Runner-Up: Fallout 3 (Multi)

Overall: Online Game of the Year
    Winner: Left 4 Dead (Multi)
    Runner-Up: Little Big Planet (PS3)

Fun: Best Soundtrack/Sound Design
    Runner-Up: GTA IV (Multi)

Fun: Character of the Year
    Winner: Sackboy/Sackgirl - Little Big Planet (PS3)
    Runner-Up: Niko Bellic - GTA IV (360)

Fun: Villain of the Year
    Winner: The Witch - Left 4 Dead (Multi)
    Runner-Up: Liquid Ocelot - Metal Gear Solid IV (Multi)

Fun: Hottie of the Year
    Winner: Gina Carano - Red Alert 3 (Multi)
    Runner-Up: Faith - Mirrors Edge (Multi)
    Runner-Up: Maggie Q - Need for Speed Undercover (Multi)
    Runner-Up: Elika - Prince of Persia (Multi)
    Runner-Up: Laughing Beauty - Metal Gear Solid IV (PS3)

Fun: Story of the Year
    Runner-Up: Mass Effect (PC)

Fun: Biggest Disappointment of the Year
    Winner: Wii Release Schedule
    Runner-Up: GTA IV (Multi)

Fun: Pleasant Surprise of the Year
    Winner: Braid (360)
    Winner: Little Big Planet (PS3)
    Runner-Up: Valkyria Chronicles (PS3)
    Runner-Up: Saints Row 2 (Multi)

Fun: Boss Battle of the Year
    Winner: Leviathan - Gears of War 2 (360)
    Runner-Up: Liquid Ocelot - Metal Gear Solid 4 (PS3)

Fun: Game Design of the Year
    Winner: Left 4 Dead (Multi) - The AI Director
    Runner-Up: Mirrors Edge (Multi) - First Person Parkour

XBox360: Action/Adventure Game of the Year
    Winner: GTA IV
    Runner-Up: Gears of War 2

XBox360: RPG of the Year
    Winner: Fallout 3
    Runner-Up: Fable 2

XBox360: Puzzle Game of the Year
    Winner: Braid
    Runner-Up: Portal: Still Alive

XBox360: Sports Game of the Year
    Winner: Fifa 2009
    Runner-Up: Pro Evo 2009

XBox360: Strategy Game of the Year
    Winner: Command and Conquer Red Alert 3
    Runner-Up: Endwar

XBox360: Racing Game of the Year
    Winner: Burnout Paradise
    Runner-Up: Grid

XBox360: XBLA Game of the Year
    Winner: Braid
    Runner-Up: Geometry Wars 2

XBox360: Overall Game of the Year
    Runner-Up: Gears of War 2

PS3: Action/Adventure Game of the Year
    Winner: Metal Gear Solid IV
    Runner-Up: GTA IV

PS3: RPG of the Year
    Runner-Up: Valkyria Chronicles

PS3: Puzzle Game of the Year
    Winner: Little Big Planet
    Runner-Up: Echochrome

PS3: Sports Game of the Year
    Winner: Fifa 09
    Runner-Up: Pro Evo 09
    Runner-Up: Tiger Woods 09

PS3: Strategy Game of the Year
    Winner: Valkyria Chronicles
    Runner-Up: Endwar

PS3: Racing Game of the Year
    Winner: Burnout Paradise
    Runner-Up: Motor Storm 2
    Runner-Up: Wipeout HD

PS3: PSN Game of the Year
    Winner: WipeOut HD
    Runner-Up: Siren Blood Curse

PS3: Overall Game of the Year
    Winner: Little Big Planet
    Runner-Up: Metal Gear Solid IV

PS2: Legacy Award - Best PS2 Game Ever
    Winner: Metal Gear Solid 3
    Runner-Up: GTA San Andreas

PSP: Best Puzzle Game
    Winner: Loco Roco 2
    Runner-Up: Echochrome

PSP: Best PSN Download
    Winner: Echochrome
    Runner-Up: Super Stardust Portable

PSP: Racing Game of the Year
    Winner: Wipeout: Pulse
    Runner-Up: Flatout Head On
    Runner-Up: Midnight Club: LA Remix

PSP: Strategy Game of the Year
    Winner: Patapon
    Runner-Up: R-Type Command

PSP: Sports Game of the Year
    Winner: Football Manager Handheld 2008
    Runner-Up: Tiger Woods PGA 2008

PSP: Action/Adventure Game of the Year
    Winner: God of War: Chains of Olympus
    Runner-Up: Loco Roco 2

PSP: RPG of the Year
    Winner: Crisis Core
    Runner-Up: Star Ocean

PSP: Overall Game of the Year
    Winner: God of War: Chains of Olympus
    Runner-Up: Loco Roco 2

PC: RPG of the Year
    Runner-Up: Mass Effect

PC: Racing Game of the Year
    Winner: Race Drive: GRID
    Runner-Up: Trackmania Nations Forever

PC: Puzzle Game of the Year
    Winner: World of Goo
    Runner-Up: Fantastic Contraption

PC: Strategy Game of the Year
    Winner: Spore
    Runner-Up: Red Alert 3
    Runner-Up: Sins of a Solar Empire

PC: FPS of the Year
    Winner: Left4Dead
    Runner-Up: Far Cry 2
    Runner-Up: Call of Duty World at War

PC: Indie Game of the Year
    Winner: Audiosurf
    Runner-Up: World of Goo

PC: Biggest Disappointment of the Year
    Winner: Spore
    Runner-Up: Far Cry 2

PC: Action Adventure Game of the Year
    Winner: Dead Space
    Runner-Up: Assassins Creed

PC: Overall Game of the Year
    Runner-Up: Fallout 3

Wii: Action/Adventure Game of the Year
    Winner: Super Smash Bros Brawl
    Runner-Up: No More Heroes

Wii: Puzzle Game of the Year
    Runner-Up: Boom Blox

Wii: Sports Game of the Year
    Winner: Tiger Woods 2009
    Runner-Up: Pro Evo 2008

Wii: Wiiware Game of the Year
    Runner-Up: Megaman 9

Wii: Overall Game of the Year
    Winner: Super Smash Bros Brawl
    Runner-Up: Okami

DS: Action/Adventure Game of the Year
    Winner: Castlevania Order of Ecclesia
    Runner-Up: Lego Batman

DS: RPG of the Year
    Winner: Chrono Trigger DS
    Runner-Up: Final Fantasy IV DS

DS: Puzzle/Training Game of the Year
    Winner: Professor Layton and the Curious Village
    Runner-Up: Sun Crossword Challenge

DS: Sports Game of the Year
    Winner: Mario and Sonic at the Olymic Games
    Runner-Up: Fifa 09

DS: Strategy Game of the Year
    Winner: Advance Wars Dark Conflict/Days of Ruin
    Runner-Up: Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon

DS: Racing Game of the Year
    Winner: Trackmania DS
    Runner-Up: Grid

DS: Overall Game of the Year
    Winner: Professor Layton and the Curious Village
    Runner-Up: Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney: Trials and Tribulations

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

PC: Overall Game of the Year
    Runner-Up: Fallout 3

Both very deserving of the title! Pretty much been voting FO3/L4D for game of the year in surveys myself.:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,466 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

That is it, Left 4 Dead. Deserving of its title and awards, as are most of the others.

Kudos to Mr.E for doing a hell of a job this year, which was sure to have been time consuming! Was a very fun and well produced award system to take part in :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I dunno if MGO was an option but I am loving that online.

Left for dead is about the only game that really wants me want an xbox.

Looking at those game awards and the amount of multi platform titles that were celebrated makes me wonder why we have fanboys at all in a generation where more games than ever are multiplatform and consistently seem to outshine their single-console 'exclusive' rivals.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,154 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

cant believe Prof layton didnt win best puzzle game :eek::confused:

I also thought world of goo was sure bet for best indie game

Great job on the awards

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Ya, kudo's on a job well done Mr E

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Wow, I though Shadow of The Colossus was a shoo in for the PS2 legacy award going by the nominations. Guess it could never match the popularity of the winners.

Dropped my monocle on seeing that Mario Kart Wii placed 2nd overall in the racing category. Too random to be be a decent racing game imho, and the handling is hardly 'rewarding', nor is it's sense of speed 'exhilarating'. Must have been the only option for Wii users so it got the votes.

I imagine some will be upset that Sack people rule the best character category - but they are just so adorable. Bless their cotton socks! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

"Runner-Up: Metal Gear Solid 4 (PS3)"

Oh god, I really shoul of voted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Ciaran500 wrote: »
    "Runner-Up: Metal Gear Solid 4 (PS3)"

Oh god, I really shoul of voted.

To get that garbage off the runners up list?;)

Fantastically well done job, Mr E. It all ran extremely smoothly (at least from my position asleep on the back seat), and you must have put an incredible amount of effort in there.

Good to see that Burnout Paradise got recognition

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,428 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Really good job. Not many surprises really. Left 4 Dead deservedly ran away with nearly everything it was nominated for. Also good to see MGS4 get snubbed in so many categories. Pity it didn't win the biggest disappointment since it was a very poor game from an exceptional series.

Also surprised MGS3 got the best PS2 game and shadow of the colossus got no where. Great game but I really thought SotC would run away with it. I'm guessing there was a single vote for Gradius V from me :)

I'm disappointed Valkyria Chronicles didn't get much recognition, especially for it's story, music and in the PS3 category, since it is an exceptional game. Still it did get beaten most of the time by Fallout 3 which although I haven't played I'm dying to despite hating Oblivion.

Bit annoyed that both the runner up and winner of the best boss battle weren't even boss battles.

Best soundtrack and sound design winner and runner up are also totally undeserving imo. GTA and Fallout 3 didn't have the best soundtracks or mixing, well of what I saw of Fallout 3. Certainly not a patch on the surround mixing of Dead Space or MGS4 and the stunning soundtrack for Valkyria Chronicles.

Don't agree with the best character either. Niko Bellic was a badly written character full of contradictions and Sackboy has only cute going for him. I guess not enough people have experienced the sheer genius of Travis Touchdown from No More Heroes.

PSP RPG of the year going to Crisis Core. There wasn't much else that was popular but that game was a stinker.

Biggest disappointment? Real women getting nominated for hottie of the year. Never let that happen again.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Kudos to all involved, it made voting a pleasure.

Three cheers for L4D! But a sadface for poor Travis Touchdown.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Biggest disappointment? Real women getting nominated for hottie of the year. Never let that happen again.
    I was thinking the same thing... I guess Jade R and whatever her name is from Assassin's Creed were nominated last year too, but we should really keep it to CG lovelies from now on... It just doesn't feel pervy enough if they're actually real!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,428 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I think some one like Jade Raymond is the exception. She is far more a nerdy interest than the girls you would see on FHM and Nuts and therefore 'pervy'.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Ah I've learnt some things with this one which will help me out next year (god willing) and with the TV awards in July. In hindsight, I agree with Retr0.... fake women all the way from now on. Jesus.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Well done on awards. Very entertaining and I agree with most of the results.

I am not surprised Left 4 Dead won best overall game. There's lot of fans of that game on Boards and it's very popular. I've tried the demo and figured it's not for me but I might buy it to see what all the fuss is about.

Strange to see GTAIV win best Xbox 360 action/adventure and place as a runner up for biggest disappointment! It's a pretty divisive title.

Surprised Gears of War II won best overall action/adventure. A lot of people here give out about it or don't own Xbox 360s. I guess the fans turned up on the day. I also thought the Leviathan in Dead Space was far more original as boss battles go.

Great to see Braid getting the respect it deserves. Ditto for Fallout 3. These two were my favourite games of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

Huh, I missed the voting.
    Anywhoo, I agree with pretty much everything there.

I am 40 hours into Fallout 3 and must agree with Retro's soundtrack observation. If people are counting the excellent Galaxy Radio station then it makes it a little bit more understandable but certainly not a patch on MGS4 (haven't played VC yet).

MGS4 was nowhere near as bad as you lot are making out by the way. They could have sold me MGO as a full game FFS!!!!!!

....Saaaaaakkkkkekeeeee

noodler wrote: »
    MGS4 was nowhere near as bad as you lot are making out by the way. They could have sold me MGO as a full game FFS!!!!!

Left 4 Dead and CoD kick it's ass :)

Surprised no one nominated left 4 dead for sound design. Music was simple but excellent and the use of sound is brillaint particularly for the boss zombies.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Tírghrá

MGS 4 way better then GOW 2, gameplay and graphics, easily the best game ever. anyone for a 5th?:D

I enjoyed GoW2. I can't say the same about MGS4. It was 90% awful cutscenes and nonsense, 5% crap game and 5% passable game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

I enjoyed GoW2. I can't say the same about MGS4. It was 90% awful cutscenes and nonsense, 5% crap game and 5% passable game.

LOL, wasn't too pushed on the game myself. In saying that I am not a fan of the series (I thought twin snakes on the gamecube was one of the worst games I ever played).

Great game awards by the way. Easy to nominate and vote which is always a massive plus. Glad to see that Valkyria Chronicles got some recognition (my Game of 2008). Also the results have finally persuaded me to knick L4D from the brother!

• Advertisement

Complete opposite. Whereas MGS4's gameplay was a sandbox of great tricks and moment, GOW2 was repetitive duck and cover shooterisms.

Then theres MGO, did I mention MGO?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

Complete opposite. Whereas MGS4's gameplay was a sandbox of great tricks and moment, GOW2 was repetitive duck and cover shooterisms.

Then theres MGO, did I mention MGO?

Yeh and its rubbish IMO.

Best online game I have ever played.

You're rubbish IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Fallout 3 is totally deserving of the best soundtrack award. I dunno, maybe you guys didn't have the music volume turned up loud enough or what but I found it completely enhanced the atmosphere of the game. I mean take the main title music, this by far one of the most dramatic and promising openers to a game. It just screams THIS GAME IS GOING TO BE ****ING EPIC! If it weren't in the game files as an mp3 I'd probably have never got around to starting.

Then there's a the humour element. Seriously, it deserved to win just because the game lets you can run around killing people while listening to this song:

And you've got post-apocalyptic irony at it's best as you torch a group of innocent civillians with a flame thrower while listening to:

And finally, IMO the 'soundtrack' includes voice acting and dialogue as well. You should sneak up to and listen in on a conversation between a group of Super Mutants sometime.

Anyway I thought Left 4 Dead and Fallout 3 were the best games of the year and it's good to see most people agreed. Good job Mr. E :).

Best online game I have ever played.

Go play Left 4 Dead. Or Unreal Tournament, Quake 3, Starcraft Swat 3, Team Fortress 2..... I gaurantee you'll change your tune.

MGS 4 was much less a sandbox of tricks than any of the other games in the series and even if it was it rewarded you with just shooting your way out of situations over doing anything clever.

As for Fallout 3, well I haven't played it only saw a mate play it for a while so can't really comment. I don't like nominating games with licensed soundtracks over games with original music. From the videos you show the atmospheric music seems really good but I really couldn't nominate it over something like this:

Or the surround mixing in Dead Space and MGS4 (although it had an average soundtrack) or the excellent use of sound and music in Left 4 Dead as aural hints at what to expect and build tension. Then again I am a bit of a Hitoshi Sakimoto whore :) But you also have to take into account that some of the voice acting in Fallout 3 was less than stellar.

Creature wrote: »
    Fallout 3 is totally deserving of the best soundtrack award. I dunno, maybe you guys didn't have the music volume turned up loud enough or what but I found it completely enhanced the atmosphere of the game. I mean take the main title music, this by far one of the most dramatic and promising openers to a game. It just screams THIS GAME IS GOING TO BE ****ING EPIC! If it weren't in the game files as an mp3 I'd probably have never got around to starting.

Then there's a the humour element. Seriously, it deserved to win just because the game lets you can run around killing people while listening to this song:

And you've got post-apocalyptic irony at it's best as you torch a group of innocent civillians with a flame thrower while listening to:

And finally, IMO the 'soundtrack' includes voice acting and dialogue as well. You should sneak up to and listen in on a conversation between a group of Super Mutants sometime.

Anyway I thought Left 4 Dead and Fallout 3 were the best games of the year and it's good to see most people agreed. Good job Mr. E :).

The first two 'tracks' you listed are so repetitive it is unreal. Horrible 50s songs with terrible choruses. I am not sure you can count dialogue as soundtrack material?

Great game, even if it is a bit repetitive.

Shooting your way through MGS4 is a damn sight harder on any difficulty setting beyond solid Normal Retro.

Unreal T was okay, no real ingenuity. Team Fortress is defo more like MGO but MGO is just done with sharper visuals and more sandbox options and modes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭n1ck

MGS 4 was much less a sandbox of tricks than any of the other games in the series and even if it was it rewarded you with just shooting your way out of situations over doing anything clever.

Summed up my thoughts on the game exactly, you didn't have to do anything clever at all in MGS4, you could just run and gun your way out of everything, was disappointing to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

f*ck you retro

I have that game sitting at home crying for me to finish it, but no ps3 to finish it on :(

now you got me itching for it again.

*cry*

All I have to comfort me is the upcoming anime series.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

wtf!

No Peggle mobile?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

tman wrote: »
    To get that garbage off the runners up list?;)

Exactly, I never even considered it could be taken the other way >_<

Advertisement