Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game Awards 2008 - The Results!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

noodler wrote: »
    The first two 'tracks' you listed are so repetitive it is unreal. Horrible 50s songs with terrible choruses. I am not sure you can count dialogue as soundtrack material?

Great game, even if it is a bit repetitive.

Yes for soundtrack/sound design I would include everything, not just score.

Well if you don't like the radio songs then there's nothing I can say, individual preference and all that. Personally I thought Butcher Pete was a great song and along with the other songs helped immerse me in the retro 50s cultural feel of the game very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

Best online game I have ever played.

You're rubbish IMO.

Easy there now Noodler.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,428 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    All I have to comfort me is the upcoming anime series.

:O time to get back into anime I think. After the events of Chapter 11 I'll be trying to get as much info on the story as possible.

Re Fallout 3: Personally love those 50's songs. Must get myself Fallout 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Creature wrote: »
    Yes for soundtrack/sound design I would include everything, not just score.

Well if you don't like the radio songs then there's nothing I can say, individual preference and all that. Personally I thought Butcher Pete was a great song and along with the other songs helped immerse me in the retro 50s cultural feel of the game very well.

The problem is there is about 3 or 4 songs. So when 3dog isn't telling you something you have already heard you are listening to the same bloddy 50 song again. Now you may say then just turn off the radio, and you can, but there is **** all else musically or atmospherically in F3 outside of the stations IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Well actually there's about 20 or so licenced songs.

• Advertisement

Maybe the rest are really bland then and I only take note when the repetitive and chalkboard-nailing ones come on.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Maybe the rest are really bland then and I only take note when the repetitive and chalkboard-nailing ones come on.
    And yet you rate the MGS soundtrack? :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,428 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Harsh. Harsh but fair.

Couldn't believe they got rid of Kazuki Muraoka and Norihiko Hibino as composers since their in game music was phenomenally good and totally outclassed harry gregson williams music for the cinematics.

humanji wrote: »
    And yet you rate the MGS soundtrack? :D

F3 soundtrack values are second rate by comparison. Awful gunshot sounds, around 3 voice actors for the 100 or so speaking characters (I mean really, they could have tried to change their voice a little) and like I said excellent sounds to fit the various emotive moments of the game. Outside of the excellent 3DOG I don't think the F3 soundtrack can even be compared to MGS4.

Gregson-Williams is god Retro. The only disappointment was no rehash of the main theme.

Gregson-Williams is god Retro. The only disappointment was no rehash of the main theme.

I bet if you looked it up all your favourite MGS music was a Kazuki Muraoka or Norihiko Hibino composition. Gregson Williams just basically played on those themes for the cinematics.

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I bet if you looked it up all your favourite MGS music was a Kazuki Muraoka or Norihiko Hibino composition. Gregson Williams just basically played on those themes for the cinematics.

I own the first 3 soundtracks.

The first, non-Harry-Gregson Williams, soundtrack is the weakest without a shadow of a doubt.

I haven't seen a breakdown of the MGS4 soundtrack yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

The only disappointment was no rehash of the main theme.

isnt that because of legal issues over the main theme?

personnally I have nothing against the MGS 4 sound design, though saying that it didnt stand out for me compared to prior games in the series

i havnt played fallout 3 so I cant comment on that

except for one detail

Ron Pearlman is in Fallout 3, I'm sorry but Ron Pearlman > David Hayter

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    isnt that because of legal issues over the main theme?

personnally I have nothing against the MGS 4 sound design, though saying that it didnt stand out for me compared to prior games in the series

i havnt played fallout 3 so I cant comment on that

except for one detail

Ron Pearlman is in Fallout 3, I'm sorry but Ron Pearlman > David Hayter

I didn't know that. The main theme in MGS1 was definitely what 2 and 3 are based on-I mean I couldn't possibly deny it. At the same time however, it is much more techno-based than orchestral and isn't a patch on 3 and 2 in particular.

Advertisement