Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on living in Wexford town

Options
  • 24-01-2009 3:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Good morning all, my family and I will be moving to live in Wexford town in the course of 2009 and I'd welcome any advice on good areas to live in. We've visited the town a few times and like the look of the Whiterock Heights estate but have no idea what kind of place it is to actually live in. Also, does anybody have thoughts on whether - compared to other developments in the town - it's reasonable value as houses there are quoting €340,000 at the moment? Then again, we could easily end up renting so advice in that regard would be very useful.
    PS We've also looked at places in Pineridge & Clonard.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Best advice is to come down and start renting before going full on and start buying imo. Whiterock/clonard/pineridge are all decent enough quiet areas all the same, general suburb type!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

dont think there is any difference between any of the locations really apart from maybe whitrock doesnt have any really close local shops eg lidl butchers petrol station. probably come down to what particular house lay out you'd like id say! and maybe price!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Uncle Junior

Thanks for the advice lads, I'd say we will rent for a little while and try to suss out the lay of the land via other parents at school etc. Of course, if anybody wants to give us a fine house for a packet of crisps and my mint quality 12inch of "Dancing at the Crossroads" I would certainly have to consider it!:) I suppose what I was trying to find out is whether there are any backstories to particular areas, you know, the sort of stuff you only discover after moving in, e.g. "Sure why did you move into estate X, don't you know it's full of Cavanmen / built on an old dump / next door to an abbattoir / on the verge of falling down etc etc".

BTW, any suggestions as to what GAA club to join? We have a 9 year-old hurler and footballer and a 7 year-old camogie fan. In Dublin most GAA clubs do both but it seems to be the case that you have to join separate clubs in Wexford, or do I have it wrong. Anyway, what clubs would be near the Whiterock / Mulgannon side of town? Would ye recommend them?

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Murtinho

If you like that side of town why not go for the rent to buy in Ard Uisce?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

For the GAA clubs - If your going to move to Whiterock - St Martins GAA club would be very handy. They have good underage sides in both sports.

Look at Clonard GAA club either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭sam_mom1

A town GAA club like the Volunteers or the Faythe Harriers would prob be the handiest, prob help the kids make friends easier seeing as they prob be in same class in school as their teammates..

just looked, they have information on these sites www.volunteersgaa.com or http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faythe_Harriers

Prob with the vols is they aint really into their hurling. And the Harriers arent into their football as much! So the kids would have to make a choice on what sport they want to play...

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭sam_mom1

the point i was makin that they should be with a town team rather than being with a "country" team....

Why would that make a difference?! Fair enough if they go to school in town, maybe it would be an advantage, but it depends on what school they go to too.

There are plenty of fellas that i know who live around Whiterock/Cooballow and play for the Martins...

But yeah, it depends on what school they go to too!

Perhaps we can ease up a bit with the hurling / football debate?

The OP doesn't even know where he will be living in Wexford!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭CLADA

Personally think there are a lot of advantages to somewhere more central i.e Davitt Rd, Johns Rd, King St, Parnell St. All well settled and old town areas.

I you want jnr to learn how to play football the last club he or she should be joining is the volunteeers, although it is important to teach them how to deal with the disappointment of losing :D

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

CLADA wrote: »
    Personally think there are a lot of advantages to somewhere more central i.e Davitt Rd, Johns Rd, King St, Parnell St. All well settled and old town areas.

I you want jnr to learn how to play football the last club he or she should be joining is the volunteeers, although it is important to teach them how to deal with the disappointment of losing :D

Ah so true.........

wait no

i play for them :(

Advertisement