Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

farmer sold site-fencing obligations

Options
  • 24-01-2009 10:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

Have a site I bought off Farmer. It is surrounded by his land. What obligations has he to fence off the site? My house is built a year and I was onto him to fence in his livestock at the back of the house as there was only an electric wire running behindthe site.
    He fenced the back area and wanted me to go halves. I said no as I felt I paid a substantial amount for the site and he was obliged to fence in his livestock. He has completed the fencing at the back.
    Dilemma now is that he has a site next to me. I want to run fencing on this side and I was going to ask him to go halves. Does he have any obligations under the law? looking for some guidance here.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

AJL wrote: »
    He fenced the back area and wanted me to go halves. I said no

Dilemma now is that he has a site next to me. I want to run fencing on this side and I was going to ask him to go halves.

To be honest.......

karma.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭cork1

if i was the farmer id tell you where to go

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Should have thought ahead, I'd imagine he has to do nothing and you should learn from this :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

What makes you think that any legal enforcement of shared costs in party boundaries won't be retrospective? If you legally force your neighbour to pay for a shared fence - he can use the same to make you pay for the fence he put up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

AJL wrote: »
    Have a site I bought off Farmer. It is surrounded by his land. What obligations has he to fence off the site? My house is built a year and I was onto him to fence in his livestock at the back of the house as there was only an electric wire running behindthe site.
    He fenced the back area and wanted me to go halves. I said no as I felt I paid a substantial amount for the site and he was obliged to fence in his livestock. He has completed the fencing at the back.
    Dilemma now is that he has a site next to me. I want to run fencing on this side and I was going to ask him to go halves. Does he have any obligations under the law? looking for some guidance here.

Personal view here (nothing legal): Life's a two way street, except you seem to think you can make it a one way system just to suit you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

And I think that justabout answers the OP's query.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement