Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone recommend a stove with 4Kw output

• 24-01-2009 11:20am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭

Hi folks
    I've got a stanley Oisin stove myself but a friend of mine is looking for a similar stove for a small room (not sure of size- probably around 2.6m x 3.2m). i reckon they need a stove with a 4Kw output, anything more will just be too much for this room, based on my experience with the Oisin anyway. Anyone know of nice, quality stove that will fit the bill? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭webels

I have a Tripp TR5 or maybe a TR3 would do. Very neat stove. http://www.tripp.ie/stoves/products. Check out this recent thread though with plenty other advice on stoves http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055394080

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

Thanks Webels, unfortunately I rang, emailed and faxed that Tripp"outfit" and they still haven't sent me a brochure, so I wouldn't deal with them, based on that. I'll try somewhere else. Thanks anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭webels

Hi Jack of all, I have a feeling they dont deal with the general public, I got mine through a supplier up the country (collected in dublin). PM me if you need details otherwise good luck with the search

Problem is I didn't contact them as a member of the "general public"; I work in the construction industry myself, specifying products and materials in my role and I made contact in this capacity! But that's irrelevant anyway and I wouldn't deal with any company or business that wouldn't supply a brochure or details of stockists- there are many more good companies out there who would only be to glad to deal with my queries! Many of these already post on forums like this and offer (mostly) impartial, good advice. So shame on you Tripp of Dublin! Thanks any Webels, I've sourced an alternative stove and supplier in the west.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I got this last week. It's super.
    http://www.gings.ie/oisin-stove.htm

Don't forget - the heat output relates to how quickly you burn the fuel.
    So, keep the front vent mostly closed and you will have no problem keeping it at temperature.

• Advertisement

10-10-20
    It's a pity you didn't read the start of my thread....I already have an Oisin stove and yes it is a good stove!

As for: "keep the front vent mostly closed and you will have no problem keeping it at temperature"- bad advice I think, you should run a stove at mid to full "throttle" I believe, to achieve maximum fuel efficiency, and to reduce smoke and emissions (keeps the glass clean too). Running a stove a half pelt or less only results in a smokey fire in the grate (low temperature flue gases can also result in more creosote formation and soot build-up) at least until you have a decent bed of hot coals burning anyway. Don't mean to dissect your post but I've done a lot of research on this subject via the web and through stove suppliers etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Yes, it seems I skipped most of the first line.
    But, I now understand what you mean about closing the vent. I only have this stove a week, so I'm only learning. I'm burning some dry wood as well as BNM briquettes, so I thought that it would be best to keep the vent mostly shut. This has lead to a lot of buildup in this time.
    I'll reasses based on what you have said!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭blackbox

10-10-20
    It's a pity you didn't read the start of my thread....I already have an Oisin stove and yes it is a good stove!

As for: "keep the front vent mostly closed and you will have no problem keeping it at temperature"- bad advice I think, you should run a stove at mid to full "throttle" I believe, to achieve maximum fuel efficiency, and to reduce smoke and emissions (keeps the glass clean too). Running a stove a half pelt or less only results in a smokey fire in the grate (low temperature flue gases can also result in more creosote formation and soot build-up) at least until you have a decent bed of hot coals burning anyway. Don't mean to dissect your post but I've done a lot of research on this subject via the web and through stove suppliers etc.

+1:) - they need to run hot to run well. Get a flue thermometer and you'll get much better performance and value from your stove.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 trip5

i had a TR5 installed a few weeks ago, its fine with kindling but goes out when i put a small log on it and no help from the store. the chimney has not been lined, the store says it doesn't need to. any suggestions to sort out the problem.
    Thanks trip5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

ave they considered an inset stove? The space for putting fuel in is small enough but does the job for a small room?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 trip5

thanks Armelodie, i prefer the free standing stove on the hearth, but thanks for suggestion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭Stove Fan

How about a charnwood country 4?

http://www.chaseheating.co.uk/charnwood_country_4_multi_fuel_stove.asp

A very nice looking stove and a great manufacturer. Have a look at their other stoves. Morso are also very nice and so are dunsley. We have a villager and we like it very much:)

Advertisement