Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should there be constituency forums?

Options
  • 24-01-2009 11:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭

Throwing this out before considering putting the question to the mods: would it be a good thing to have forums for the various constituencies?

I think it would - it would be a great way of sharing local news ("Eeek, burglars creeping around the back of the houses beside the Five Lamps"), and also a good place for discussing local issues. Very helpful to local TDs and councillors, too.

It might even be a way of making the shockingly apolitical Irish become intelligently political!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭pigeonbutler

I'm not sure if there would be enough activity in each of the sub-fora but it's a good idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

The recent spate of posting in the politcs forum of late might give the impression that its busy all the time, but its not really. What with 42 constituency's the place would be dead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

luckat wrote: »
    I think it would - it would be a great way of sharing local news ("Eeek, burglars creeping around the back of the houses beside the Five Lamps"), and also a good place for discussing local issues.

Isnt that what the regional forums are for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Yes, it is what the regional forums are for. But I kind of feel that people would be more likely to post about *local issues* - as opposed to local... stuff... if it was the constituency rather than the regions.

It might even be worth starting with a couple of the more active areas - say a couple of central Dublin constituencies and Galway?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Isn't that what's wrong with Irish politics in the first place?

As long as "my" local TD looks after my local interests I don't really care what the fecker is up to up in Dublin?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

peasant wrote: »

As long as "my" local TD looks after my local interests I don't really care what the fecker is up to up in Dublin?

True, politicians thinking they're supposed to be fixing their constituents' little problems rather than legislating for the country is a problem.

However, the basis of all politics is that people should think locally, act locally, share information locally, and agitate and communicate on local issues, and move outwards from that to a national focus.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭pigeonbutler

peasant wrote: »

If you can't beat them, join them! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I think having links to the regional forum in politics wouldn't be a bad idea so that people know they can have political discussions there but at the end of the day, not enough traffic to have their own forums.

At least some of the regional forums have little activity as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,077 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Wouldn't all the posting come to a grinding halt after everybody gets banned for abuse and threatening to kill their representatives?

Advertisement