Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

30fps on CSS with a HD4870?

Options
  • 24-01-2009 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭

The map it lags on is Breakfloor(and also other break maps), should it be running this slow? sometimes it drops to 15fps and other times its around 100. On other maps my fps is fine, 200+. Could it be physics or something?

Heres my specs:
    E8400, HD4870 1GB, 4GB ddr2 1066

And heres the settings im currently using:
    1680 x 1050 pixels
    All settings on high
    AA Set to max

I don't usualy play breakfloor but my clan just got a breakfloor server so i sometimes get on there with friends and have a bit of fun.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Turn off HDR & AA. There's no need to have them on. Then see what you get.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Ubaroo

Doesnt really make much of a difference, also its around 30fps when there are about 16 people on the server other times its playable enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,411 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Play on the Default Settings. The Source Engine will automatically determine this, based on your GPU.

I'll give it a run on the 4850 later to see if I encounter similar. Nope found the DOWII beta so I cant be arsed. It could be the physics, but iirc I dont think theres that much going on in breakmaps that would warrant a 70% drop in framerate.

Texture filtering, Along with Anti-Aliasing, are the two most consuming graphics accelerations. Bring down or Shut Down AA and Switch from Antisotropic (very expensive filtering solution) to Trilinear. The Catalyst Control Center should already have System Control of those Settings anyway: there shouldnt be a need to have them on in-game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

Breakfloor involves a lot of glass objects being broken, thats causing the lag. Not the graphics.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Breakfloor involves a lot of glass objects being broken, thats causing the lag. Not the graphics.

this is it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Ubaroo

Ok, thanks very much guys. I'll just turn down my settings whenever I join a breakfloor server.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

CS:S loves CPU power.
    What speed are you running your CPU at ?
    You will find if you can overclock it if its not overclocked all ready. It will make a big differince to your FPS.

I used to play cs:s with a Qx9650 clocked at 4ghz. Also had 2x4850 which is a little better then your video card. Used to run CS:S in most area's at 300FPS but in some area's it could drop to as low as 100FPS.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,411 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Tried TF2 on the build i mentioned. Sometimes I got 90 frames, sometimes i got 30, depending on what was happening at the time. But frankly with the net_graph off I really didnt give a sh!t - it was a whole lot smoother than the 8400M GS I normally play on, where I get no higher than 20 frames. God I love motion blur.

Advertisement