Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to upgrade Dell RAM

Options
  • 24-01-2009 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have an old Dimension 2400. It had 256mb of RAM and I did a memtest and discovered the RAM was faulty.

So I bought 1gb of RAM.....DDR PC3200 (same as the old stuff).

I've put it into the machine, but the BIOS won't boot. I just get the Dell screen, no beeps....nothing! ...Any ideas??

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Which slot did you put the new memory into? Did you leave out the old memory?
    Can that board take up to 1 gig? Check your model on crucial.com.

Are you getting warning lights on the back of the box? There are 4 labelled A,B,C and D.
    The beeps and the colours of these lights diagnose the problem. More than likely the new RAM is fecked or you've stuck it into the wrong slot or not pushed it in properly.

Try sticking the old 256 stick back in to see if that still works.

(EDIT:http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=Dimension%202400%20Series
    up to 2 gigs supported, might just be a bad stick)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭jamieh

Hi all,

Did a MemTest on the RAM and it was fine.

Got 2 more sticks of the same RAM and I'm trying to install it in a Dell Poweredge 7500 server.

There was 256MB of DDR PC3200 installed and I tried to install 1gb of ddr pc2700 but all I got was bios beeps!

Any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Can you link to the ram sticks you've bought? Have you updated your bios to the latest? You could be trying to use ecc ram in your desktop, which wouldn't work..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭jamieh

Can you link to the ram sticks you've bought? Have you updated your bios to the latest? You could be trying to use ecc ram in your desktop, which wouldn't work..

Hey,

I e-mailed the supplier and they said:

You need ECC, this is non-ecc memory.

So in a nutshell it's not compatible with my machine.

I'm wondering is it worth putting on adverts.ie or do I just bin it....I have 3 gig of the stuff :(

Advertisement