Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wildlife rescue Galway ?

Options
  • 24-01-2009 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know of a wildlife rescue/sanctuary near Galway that might have space for a Jackdaw ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

What's wrong with the bird? Why is a rescue space required?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

It has a dropped wing but I do not know the full extent of the injury. The bird is still living wild in & around my garden. It has been unable to fly for about a week & I have been feeding it. Apart from the wing it appears very healthy & clearly has not suffered a critical injury. Catching it won't be easy !. But the long term prognosis is not good if it stays in the wild.

The problem is that I do not want to try catching it & causing stress until I know that there is somewhere that it could go. Until it is examined by a vet it will be impossible to say if it can eventually be returned to the wild, confined to an avary or euthanased.

If anyone was planning a drive to England I would have no problems finding a sanctury ( I used to be a volunteer with a wildlife rescue) but I am in a rented property without any outdoor accomodation.

The only Wildlife Rescue I know is in County Cork. It is run by a woman called Chelsea. I've had a jackdaw with a wing injury - it took me over a week to catch him. I was worried he'd wander into the runs with the dogs so I had to do something. The vet checked him over and straightened the bone. It was a long and labourous recovery but I was able to release him after 6 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I know the feeling, Pearl my rescue greyhound & Lily my rescue Saluki would love to "play" with it !. I can't find a listing in Cork but I have found Animal Magic near Limerick & another rescue near Antrim. I am going to see if Birdwatch Ireland know of anyone more local. By the way I am a big admirer of your work - well done.

Thank you :o! Chelsea posts as Kiokio on Petsireland, I have her number somewhere but I need to dig it up first. I'll PM you when I find it. She might have an idea of another wildlife rescue more local to you!

• Advertisement
Advertisement