Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

psa licence for cctv

Options
  • 24-01-2009 12:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

do you need a licence to install cctv? i didnt think that was the case untill the end of 2009

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

ring them up and ask them about it. I think you are right (they may not have the register in place) but I don't know for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 dufferman

ring them up and ask them about it. I think you are right (they may not have the register in place) but I don't know for sure.

i have tryed ringing them loads of times but all i get is an answering machine. they are the biggest crowd of a**holes, makin things akward for us tradesmen who are trying to make an honest living and providing a vital service to our local community. why should you need a licence to install alarms and cctv. they make it so hard to get the licence, ud nearly want a week off work to organise all the paper work, and the cost of it is a joke.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Why should you need a licence to install alarms and cctv.
    Because its the law
    I dont like having to pay TV licence, drivers licence,dog licence ,etc but thats life.
    The industry badly needs the regulation
    But For the moment CCTV is not regulated & you do not need a licence.
    They make it so hard to get the licence, ud nearly want a week off work to organise all the paper work, and the cost of it is a joke.
    If you are looking for a licence you are clearly going the wrong way about it. Contact the NSAI they will help you out. Also contact Bell Communications & ask them to send you the SR40 pack that will help you a lot. As for the cost being a joke, it is based on your turnover. If you find it a lot of work now , you are going to struggle with the everyday running of your business. There are a lot of procedures involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 sig226

dufferman, PM sent!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Draft guidelines for cctv are on the psa site. I would expect them to be introduced later this year

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Thats the plan anyway. Whether it stays on schedule................

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Do any of you lads know if they're going to charge us another 2250 Euro?
    I think if they try there will be plenty of companies that will just not pay. That would be 4500 every two years! Its hard enough to get by these days without that. I wouldn't mind paying for the certification but if the PSA try to charge us for another licence it will be nothing short of theft.

It will be very difficult for those company's who only do the odd CCTV installation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭ferguson

It will be very difficult for those company's who only do the odd CCTV installation
    then they should not do it. If they canot afford to register and be licenced then do not offer that service. It is presumably to stop cowboys

If it becomes law , ofcourse unlicenced operators should not be installing.
    Whether it stops the cowboys or not remains to be seen.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

On the domestic end of things IP cameras seem very popular now with lots of people doing DIY installs in their own homes. Cameras also seem to be getting cheaper and the average person is much more technically minded in now.

For more commercial installations I think that the most complex part off CCTV installation and design is selecting the correct equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

ferguson wrote: »
    then they should not do it. If they canot afford to register and be licenced then do not offer that service. It is presumably to stop cowboys

Thats a stupid excuse. There's no reason why a competent certified person shouldn't install cctv systems only because the do one every few weeks. Its not their fault there's another quango set up in this country to sucker in more dosh

• Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭altor

I hope it does come in this year, seeing power supplies over heating and cables put in any way is a disgrace. Hopefully with some regulation then that will stop them installing but it is going to be a hard job for the PSA to police.

There's no reason why a competent certified person shouldn't install cctv systems only because the do one every few weeks. Its not their fault there's another quango set up in this country to sucker in more dosh
    The fact that it would be illegal if they are not licenced is a good enough reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

How would you define a competent person, maybe somebody who could change a plug.
    Installing cctv is not just a matter of point and shoot, anyone who has completed proper training will tell you that.
    The sooner EN50132 becomes a requirement for CCTV installations the better.
    Only last week did I see a monitored cctv system installed by a "competent person" fail.
    Result, a number of commercial units were broken in to without detection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

am i right in saying this...it is ok to install ur own house alarm....it is ok to install an alarm for your friend or neighbour once no money is transfered for the labour???

am i right in saying this...it is ok to install ur own house alarm....it is ok to install an alarm for your friend or neighbour once no money is transfered for the labour???

Thats correct.

thanks altor....what about if its to be installed on a rented property?? we had a problem with a prowler only last week ...the neighbour isnt feeling to good about it and the landlord is refusing to get an alrm so she asked me what wud be the best option...ie dummy box..wire up a bellbox so the lights alternate or buy the securewave starter pack and do a wire/wireless alarm

thanks altor....what about if its to be installed on a rented property?? we had a problem with a prowler only last week ...the neighbour isnt feeling to good about it and the landlord is refusing to get an alrm so she asked me what wud be the best option...ie dummy box..wire up a bellbox so the lights alternate or buy the securewave starter pack and do a wire/wireless alarm

It is illegal to employ a non-registered contractor to install an alarm, if your not getting paid to install the alarm there should be no problem.

but i cant be employed anyway because im not 16.weird i know.im 15 and can install security systems and wire sockets.gates.ect:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Elewis

Does a RECI approved qualified electrician also need to have a PSA licence to instal security cameras or security gates. There was some talk about this a few months ago but has it come into effect?

For CCTV yes...

Elewis wrote: »
    Does a RECI approved qualified electrician also need to have a PSA licence to instal security cameras or security gates. There was some talk about this a few months ago but has it come into effect?

Here you go ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Seamus1964

What about calving camera systems / farm cameras
    Do you still need to check installer PSA licence or that's more simplified ?

Is it a self install /DIY or a professional system permanently in place?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Seamus1964

Cheap semi - professional system permanently in place : camera kit bought by me but installed by somebody else ( local handyman - sat tv engineer - electrician ) ?

In the instance your installer is acting illegally.
    He needs to be PSA licenced.
    You are also breaking the law if you employ an unlicensed installer.

If it's just a calving camera with no aspect on security then it does not require a licenced installer.

Advertisement