Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Crazy price of batteries.

• 24-01-2009 1:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭

Hi, slight panic here so any help appreciated. We're going on holidays on Saturday morning and have just realised that our camera battery needs replacing. It's a Fuji Film lithium NP-40. I can see them online for about ten sterling but Irish sites list them at around 50 to 55 euro! I don't have time to order on-line as I may not get it in time. Anyone know of any Dublin shops that don't charge the earth for such a small consumable?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,489 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Assuming it's next Saturday you're leaving and not today, you've got a whole week to get something mail-order. I've got stuff from batterycity.ie (actually based in Denmark!) before and it's arrived pretty quickly, well within a week in any case.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

The price difference is usually because the ones in the shops will be genuine batteries & those online will be compatibles.

With compatible batteries the quality can be variable. I get mine from the 7dayshop & have found them to be as good or better than the originals, but other places may not be as good.

Where are you going on Holiday? You could try ordering on online & having it delivered to the address where you are on holiday. The other option is do do a search for battery prices in shops at your destination. They may well be cheaper there for the genuine ones than here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

you could check out Gunnes on wexford street. They always have reasonable prices. But i wouldn't expect them to be much cheaper than the prices elsewhere...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

those 'compatible' batteries are pretty hit-and-miss.
    i only have compatible batteries in my e-500 because it doesn't come supplied with a rechargeable battery. but i once got a battery for a satellite phone on ebay that would only last an hour or 2 before it would die (its supposed to last 40), returned it and got an equally ****ty one back.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

towel401 wrote: »
    those 'compatible' batteries are pretty hit-and-miss.
    i only have compatible batteries in my e-500 because it doesn't come supplied with a rechargeable battery. but i once got a battery for a satellite phone on ebay that would only last an hour or 2 before it would die (its supposed to last 40), returned it and got an equally ****ty one back.

That's why I get my Batteries from somewhere that has a reputation to uphold & stand by their products, such as 7dayshop or MyMemory

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

I got filters in 4 days from MyMemory this week. So if you order today you could have your battery by Thursday or Friday, Or as CabinSail said could you have it sent to your holiday destination if its in Europe. 7dayshop.com are a little slower maybe 5 to 8 days. Any batteries I got from 7dayshop have been excellent and I have just ordered some for my flash and camera.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭KazDub

Thanks for all the tips. We're off to the States on Jan. 31st, so I think we've decided that it will probably be just as cheap and handy to get one there. It's only a basic camera, nothing uber-fancy, so I don't want to spend a massive amount on a battery. We may even upgrade it while we're away, ohhh the extravagance of it all, hey!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

Quote Thanks for all the tips. We're off to the States on Jan. 31st, so I think we've decided that it will probably be just as cheap and handy to get one there. It's only a basic camera, nothing uber-fancy, so I don't want to spend a massive amount on a battery. We may even upgrade it while we're away, ohhh the extravagance of it all, hey! End Quote

Wher in U.S.A are you going? In New York you have J and R, B & H and Adorama which have very good selection at stunning prices. Most major cities have good camera and electronic shops.

Advertisement