Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do Dubs call the guards "police"?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I lol when boggers are talking about something that happened in Eastenders/Coronation Street/Desperate Housewives/Sopranos and they say "So then, the guards were called"...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

We started calling them police so it would become widely used and then we would never again have to listen to Grainne Seoige and her ilk call them "GOOORDEE".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

I'm a dub and I dont. only ignorant D4 heads do

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

congo_90 wrote: »
    I'm a dub and I dont. only ignorant D4 heads do
    No, they say "Gordee"

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Mahou

A tip for the countryfolk... "sketch the garda" doesn't mean theres an on the spot drawing competition.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Jerimiah

Gardai_Training.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

My dads in the Dublin Fire Brigade, and they don't even call them the 'Gardaí' when it comes to work incidents.

I think peoples attitudes to the Gardaí in Dublin are completely different to 'down the country'. For the most part i think the Irish Garda is a lovable sort of community-minded gob****e, local GAA player whos been given a baton and the rest.

In parts of Dublin communities have strained relationships with the force, which in some cases is understandable. If you look at the north inner city, a few suspicious deaths in custody might have an effect on how young people see you as a force.

Power-trippin' also seems a big thing in Dublin compared to the rest of the country, I don't think I'm imagining that either? The dad agrees from his dealings with them on the job too.

I always refer to them as cops, Five-O, narcs or the fuzz due to the ample amounts of American cop shows and films I have enjoyed. Had to explain to a friend what Five-O and narc ment.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭steifanc

hey what the hell are tackies ?!!
    is that more bog talk?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

The Gardai for me....

pfft with "police"

How many people speak Gaelic daily?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Jerimiah

• Registered Users Posts: 24,056 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Kiera wrote: »
    Its just...... You've changed, SS :o

SS is about right for some of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

Isn't it 'gards' rather than 'guards'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Four-Percent

blubloblu wrote: »
    Isn't it 'gards' rather than 'guards'?

It shouldn't really be.See my earlier post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The Garda is the police force of the country. Therefore calling them police is hardly unusual. I refer to them as the police when speaking about them indirectly all the time. Whereas I'd call them 'a guard' or 'the gardai' when referring to them on location.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

What are they meant to say? "...and then we rang An Garda Síochána''. Because 'guards' isn't their right name anyway. In fact, it sounds ridiculous.

Actually, who the bleep cares, really? What is about this country and harboring petty differences between Da Big Smoke and the Bog Land? Sheesh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Mr. Frost

Acacia wrote: »
    What are they meant to say? "...and then we rang An Garda Síochána''. Because 'guards' isn't their right name anyway. In fact, it sounds ridiculous.

Actually, who the bleep cares, really? What is about this country the woolybacks and harboring petty differences between Da Big Smoke and the Bog Land? Sheesh.

:D

The Fuzz.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Havermeyer

The bacon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

Mr. Frost wrote: »
    :D

The Fuzz.

Forgive my ignorance, what are woolybacks? :D

I call them ' da po-leese', anyway. as in- "fcuk da po-leese'.:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Woolybacks are sheep.
    Sometimes country folk are referred to as woolybacks due to neanderthal-like hairy torsos.
    It is also common in the males. :P

Acacia wrote: »
    Forgive my ignorance, what are woolybacks? :D

I call them ' da po-leese', anyway. as in- "fcuk da po-leese'.:pac:

...''comin' straight from da undaground..." :pac:

Woolybacks= culchies! :pac: Was only joking before anyone gets offended!

Hagar wrote: »
    Woolybacks are sheep.
    Sometimes country folk are referred to as woolybacks due to neanderthal-like hairy torsos.
    It is also common in the males. :P

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

darkdubh wrote:
    I always notice on the news whenever theres a shooting or murder In Dublin and they interview bystanders they always refer to the "police" rather than the guards.They havent been offically called that since 1922 so i wonder why this is.You dont get it anywhere else in the country.

Dublin is part of Britain. The police ensure that the paddy cu*nts don't get into our country....By the way, why do country folk refer to their cousins as "My wife"? :confused:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,303 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Forget 1922, even though John "Orange" Peel stopped being Home Secetary back in 1830 and they are still called peelers by some.

Bluebottles is another name used too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 hello100

what a thick dunce question !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!must be from a CULCHIE:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭jmbkay

We don't. They're either called "the guards" or worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Epic Tissue

Being from Dublin, I say cops.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭jmbkay

Please. This is is not the US of A

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Epic Tissue

jmbkay wrote: »
    Please. This is is not the US of A

who cares:rolleyes:

Advertisement