Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost in creches??!

Options
  • 24-01-2009 1:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hi,

I am nearly finished maternity leave (unfortunately) and having to look for a creche to put my son in.... do anyone know what the general cost it is to put a child into a creche normal hours Mon - Fri 9am -5pm?! I'm thinking that if it is too expensive , I might try to get part-time hours instead for a few years? ! Plus, I don't think I can be parted from him for too long! Can any one help and by the way , I'm located in Dublin 9.

Thanks,

Goldie.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Lizzykins

Would you think about a childminder? Usually a bit cheaper and the baby will get one to one attention in a family setting. I went down that route with my youngest(didn't work outside the home when the otherkids were small)It worked amazingly well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 goldieladee

Thanks for the reply Lizzy! I had thought about a childminder alright but I'm pretty new to the area and I would prefer a recommended childminder but I dont know anyone really who could recommend one! Also, if (when) I head back to work, I don't really have the flexibility not to go in/ be late if the childminder calls in sick so I would be stumped. Thats really why I thought a creche would be a better option. But I think it would only be a short term option as I would really like to go part time in lower level job so I can have time with the baby!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

From my own searching a childminder seems to be 50-60 euro a day and creche around 9 - 1200 a month,though I have heard of some being 1600 in the city too.
    The 1200 figure seems to be about normal,also alot of them have waiting lists too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

Childminder here,

Rates vary around the country, Dublin and surrounding counties are a lot higher than other counties. As people are losing their jobs there is an increase in vacancies in some creches and childminders so you may have some room to negociate.

Here's some info that I posted on another thread, some of it may be useful.

Personal recommendation would be useful but it you cannot get recommendations then you could contact your local childcare committee and the childminding advisor (I believe they have an advisor for creches but not 100% sure on that) should send you out a list of notified and voluntary notified childminders in your area.

Notified childminders are notified to the HSE and are inspected by the Pre-School Officer. They are allowed look after upto 5 children under 6 years old (I think this is will be changing to under 14) including their own children. Childminders looking after 4 or 5 children have a duty to notify the HSE.

Voluntary Notified childminders look after 3 or less children.

Notified and Voluntary notified childminders have to have insurance, occupational first aid.

Notified childminders have to be Garda vetted but there is such a backlog at the moment. I had to wait nearly 10 months to get a place on the vetting information session with Barnados. Then you apply and it's taking nearly 2 months to be processed.

Voluntary notified childminders don't have to be Garda vetted but if they want to then they can apply for it.

To be a member of Childminding Ireland you have to have a medical and have your GP declare you are healthy and mentally suitable to work with children.

The numbers in the regulations refer to how many children a childminder may look after at any one time. She may have a mixture of full and part-timers so could have 9 or 10 children on her books which is ok as long as she/he doesn't go over the numbers specified in the regulations at any one time.

I have had some children Mondays and Tuesdays only and different children Wednesday to Friday or some in the mornings and then different ones afterschool.

There are some childminders that are looking after 3 or less children and aren't notified or voluntary notified, they're not doing anything wrong as they fall outside the regulations.

There are lots of childminders looking after 4 or more children who are obliged to notify the HSE but they haven't notified anyone.

Currently there aren't any regulations for afterschool care.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭TargetWidow

My daughter is in a community creche where the cost you pay is related to your income level. So if you are say drawing a partial or full stamp, then it is over €100 cheaper per week than if you are in full time employment. If you are in employment but have a full medical card, there is a discount of about €50 per week. My income for last year was quite low so I'm busy filling in forms for the medical card in the hopes of getting one and reducing my creche costs. It works on a govt subsidy scheme. Enquire at the creches you view.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 goldieladee

Thanks everyone for your thoughts... I will try to look for a childminder first and then as a last resort a creche. I didn't realise that creche fees were so expensive ( I knew that they were expensive but not that expensive!) .Anyway, I will take your suggestions on board and update in a couple of weeks to tell ye what I found.

Thanks,

G.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Thanks for the reply Lizzy! I had thought about a childminder alright but I'm pretty new to the area and I would prefer a recommended childminder

contact your local County Childcare Committee they will be able to give you a list of all the HSE registered childminders in your area

Dublin City County Childcare Committe

01 222 30 73
    Email: dccc@dublincity.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

contact your local County Childcare Committee they will be able to give you a list of all the HSE registered childminders in your area

Dublin City County Childcare Committe

01 222 30 73
    Email: dccc@dublincity.ie

They will also give you a list of all the voluntary notified childminders as well, also list of creches in your area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Koltashe

My DD is in Giraffe part time, u said u might consider it. Morning part-time 7am to 2pm (not too shure about the 2 pm) is over 700euro, we do afternoon part-time 1pm-6pm and its 500euro.
    Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 38 heyho

I recently rang around some creches in my area (D18), in general the average prices are between 800-1000 for a fulltime place. 9-5 is irrelevant, a fulltime price includes their full opening hours (usually 7.30am-6.30pm or so). Part time is usually more expensive than you would expect i.e. more than 3/5ths of the cost to send them for a 3 day week.

Childminders are not necessarily any cheaper, not any of the ones that I have checked out anyway!

Also if your child is under 1, get a move on. Baby places are limited in most creches and some don't actually even cater for children under 1 (because of the high staff ratios and other requirements).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭PinkPrincess26

Hi,

My son went to pinoccios creche in santry just accross the road from santry stadium for 3 years he now attends there for after school, small creche but brilliant staff are friendly and have always found them fantastic with my son... i' will have to edit post with number later as my phone is in the car!!!

Rate for week are 180 a week full time and 100 a week for after school so ver reasonable...

hope this helps

Creche number is 018422764

Advertisement