Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

intro to cognitive science.. laptop needed??

Options
  • 24-01-2009 1:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭

hey all..
    i jjust registered to intro to cognitive science as my new elective as original one clashed with a tutorial ... grrr.. anyway .. i read on here on a thread that its quite savage so chose it...
    Anyway just wondering ..it was mentioned to me by a mate taht you have to hav a laptop for the lectures... any1 no how true this is? i hav a laptop alrite.. but effort of lugging it in :rolleyes:...

also.. i was havin a look over the lectures and the stuff seems dead interesting but yet theres like... 100 odd places left in the module..:eek: why so many places if evryone says its such a good module??

thanks for the help guys!:)

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

ive been in the first two lectures this week, and thers been no mention of needing a laptop, and the stuff we'll be covering doesnt look like it would require a laptop either!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭McNuggy

ive been in the first two lectures this week, and thers been no mention of needing a laptop, and the stuff we'll be covering doesnt look like it would require a laptop either!

thanks OpenYourEyes... thought to myself it sounded a bit odd needing one!
    can i ask ya as well .. are the classes/lectures big?? like are there many people doin it ??

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Your mate probably got the idea that you needed a laptop because it is (technically) a Computer Science module, and while BSc and BA CS students do need one, I don't think they're needed for people taking random modules.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

McNuggy wrote: »
    thanks OpenYourEyes... thought to myself it sounded a bit odd needing one!
    can i ask ya as well .. are the classes/lectures big?? like are there many people doin it ??

Well each leccture is given twice- i think its 11 and 2 on a tuesday, and 12 and 2 on a thursday or something like that

Ive been going to the early ones and id say theres 50 ppl max in it! No idea about the 2 o'clock ones!

yeah i dont think theres many people registered cos theres like.. 90-100 places still available on electives page.. mad like... is it interesting ?? sorry for a million questions.. might as well ask while yur here haha!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

Cog science isn't really a comp sci module at all. The only thing it has to do with computers is its in the computer science building

McNuggy wrote: »
    yeah i dont think theres many people registered cos theres like.. 90-100 places still available on electives page.. mad like... is it interesting ?? sorry for a million questions.. might as well ask while yur here haha!

It all depends on what you find interesting! If you've looked at the module description on SIS and you think you'd like it you more than likely would! I find it quite interesting, and the lecturer seems really sound and has a bit of a laugh like. Doesnt look like the exams are going to be too hard either!

i did brain and behaviour last semester for my elective.. and they seem similiar and i loved it like.. so happy days haha!!
    yeah i heard hes quite sound.. i read it on that thread where i heard bout the module!! seems like a good module all round!! an i havnt even bin yet !! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I'm doing this as an elective too. Takes me back to my philosophy days in first year but I find it way more engaging. I don't have a laptop and there's a good few others who don't have laptops either. In fact at the recent one I went to I noticed I was one of the few taking notes.

I do like the fact that there's repeat lectures and that the lecturer is fine with people coming to either one. On Thursday I'm supposed to go to the one at 2pm but since I have a free spot for the 12 one I just went to that and so I can get home quicker. Niiiiice. :cool:

oh ya can go t either of them ? thats savage.. means gettin home earlier so !! likin the sound of this module!! maybe my tutorial clashin with my othe rone was a blessing in disguise :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

A laptop is handy for almost any subject IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

No need for a laptop

Good lecturer, fascinating subject, relatively easy exam

Do it

bit of fan of it then dave? haha.. nah cheers for that.. had a look at the required readings an t my surprise it wasnt an effort to do em ... happy days!!

thanks for evryones replies.. but bein an arts head.. i rarely venture out of newman... so like.i no how t get t comp sci.. but theres no lecture theatre numbr or anythin on my timetable.it jus says " Lecture CSth". any1 help on tellin me were to go ??:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

The CS lecture theatre is on the ground floor - just go in the door, walk towards the window and turn right. It's at the end of that corridor, on the right.

thanks a mill 4 the quick reply!! :)

Does that mean you missed the first 2 lectures? :p

Think I may pop in and have a listen to one of them

*hangs head in shame *

sheesh .. i mean .. missing lectures and relying on blackboard...what student in their right mind would do that :P

that interesting youd go a 2nd time ?? this module is bein built up to so much.. it better deliver 4 me 2 moro haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 huppenstop

There is only one lecture theatre in the computer science building. It is easy to find

So are ye enjoying it?

• Advertisement

Damn I had a bit of a disaster today and missed my cog science lecture. Could someone allay my fears over it as I'm scared there might have been an important quiz that I missed? :(

Damn I had a bit of a disaster today and missed my cog science lecture. Could someone allay my fears over it as I'm scared there might have been an important quiz that I missed? :(

Nope! Just an average lecture! Read the notes and go to the next lecture and itl b as if you were there all along!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭clickerfingers

actually is there a special website for this, rather than bboard? if so can anyone tell me what it is?

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Feral Mutant

actually is there a special website for this, rather than bboard? if so can anyone tell me what it is?
    http://cogsci.ucd.ie/introtocogsci/

Dave! wrote: »
    So are ye enjoying it?

:( i couldnt do it anymore as by end of reg cos i was a mid registration student and was up at the prog office checkin i was registered to core modules etc.. they sed id used all my elective credits for 2nd yr by registering to core modules as electives in sem 1 (which by the way was only way i cud get into my classes to make sure i was getting 2nd yr credits as wel as repating 1st yr ones- stupid prog office) .. so i ended up havin t drop it or pay the fee :(

devastation central as i was really lovin it... wud it be sad for me to still go to the lectures purely out of enjoyment! :cool:

anyone know when the mid term for this is?

Don't know meself, how are ya enjoying it though? :)

its good! but missed a few lectures lately and wonderin if this mid term is before or after easter :rolleyes:

its good! but missed a few lectures lately and wonderin if this mid term is before or after easter :rolleyes:

We've an exam for Week 8.

• Advertisement

Liking the module MNG?

Advertisement