Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How do I move from Gold to Silver

• 24-01-2009 1:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

I don't have time to play games online anymore and all I do on live is download the odd game trailer.

So I want to unsubscribe from Gold - ie. move to Silver, which is free.

But how do I do this?

As expected, there is no straightforward option here. You can't even delete your bloody credit card details to stop them renewing the Gold membership.

Any advice? Or do I have to call MS?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Carroller

As far as i know in settings theres an option to delete credit card details...

I didnt think that MS renew membership automatically...do they??

anyway just let the gold run its course

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Carroller wrote: »
    As far as i know in settings theres an option to delete credit card details...

There doesn't appear to be. I'm looking at it now.

'Modify membership' only allows to you buy the different types of Gold - ie. one month, three months, 12 months etc.

Go into payment options and it only allows you add another credit card. There is no option to delete or remove your credit card.
    I didnt think that MS renew membership automatically...do they??

anyway just let the gold run its course

They do. That's what happened last time. And this is what's going to happen to my account on the 27 January and there doesn't appear to be any option to stop them doing it except calling them.

Well last time i remember on the credit card screen (on the xbox itself that is) there was an option to press X to delete credit card because i had two on mine and deleted the other one..Myabe you could delete from the xbox.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

You have to call MS. Ridiculous situation....

More here: http://www.theaveragegamer.com/2007/12/15/how-to-remove-credit-card-details-from-xbox-live/ (3 part saga)

Took this guy 3 months to cancel, and you have to call them up to start the process. I don't see what the problem is - all they need is an admin login to xbox live and a delete button. Why do you have to jump through all the hoops?

Or could you just put false info on your credit card details ??

• Advertisement

Mr E wrote: »
    You have to call MS. Ridiculous situation....

More here: http://www.theaveragegamer.com/2007/12/15/how-to-remove-credit-card-details-from-xbox-live/ (3 part saga)

Took this guy 3 months to cancel, and you have to call them up to start the process. I don't see what the problem is - all they need is an admin login to xbox live and a delete button. Why do you have to jump through all the hoops?

:mad: WHAT? There is absolutely no technical reason for this.

And Carroller, on the link that Mr E posted, a guy who put in dud credit card details to stop them charging the credit card MS wouldn't let him remove was accused of entering 'fraudulent details' by Microsoft.

From that thread - :eek: is this even possible?

'Hi, I went through the process of telephoning xbox live to cancel my card details "twice"

The first time was 6 months ago and the last time was in January. On both occasions they told me to give it 30 days and the card imformation would be removed..... but it wasn't!

My credit card expired in February 2008 but xbox live were still able to withdraw from my new card (in april 2008) even though the expiry date and security code have changed!!

I did have a word with my card issuer and they say that xbox can do this, and apparantly can do so even if the card is cancelled!!!

I was told to put it in writing to my card issuer and they would investigate it.... what a load of ****'

So does it only renew the xbox live on the same day each month but only when you log in??

Whats the number to ring microsoft to cancel a card

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

Phone Information

Phone

Assistance by phone:

1 800 509 186

or +353 12420758 from a mobile phone
    Hopefully you'll get some joy out of them. I have three cards on my account. But have only ever used them to buy points. Always get a 12 month sub off the net because they do take €6 every month to renew your gold if you do it monthly.

Bull**** company TBH
    they do it without confirmation, i never even recieved one Confirmation email about this stupid subscription.

Last time i use CC's to buy Xbox live

• Advertisement

Rang them there
    blah blah blah wanna cancel account

"Pweez holdy wile vee istignigate yor reqwest"

then they ask for information i give it.
    Then they ask for the card holder to talk (Because its not my CC)
    hes not here so they give me a reference number to call back with

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Or could you just put false info on your credit card details ??

Interesting point... Not too sure if they'd accept it, but you could try a dummy Visa number.
    At this point they should only be checking if the number is valid, not taking an authorisation, so it may work...

Just got the card cancelled

I used my reference number i got with my first phone call to basically continue the conversation i was having. But this time it involved my dad who is the CC holder.

Anywho point being he needed to give his details etc,etc. The MS man said when you sign up for one month subscription you sign up for a year but it being renewed each month, so basically instead of saying "buy 12 months and save 20 euro" you buy 12 months at 6.99 per month so your paying 80+ euro instead of the 60.

So i got my subscription canceled so after my month is over it should not renew my membership unless i buy more, which ill be using subscriptions from Gamestop,HMV,Xtravision etc, which the MS man recommended

Yeah, called them there myself.

Have cancelled the Gold subscription, made sure that the auto-renew function is disabled and submitted a request to have my credit card details removed.

Overall, the call took 45 minutes. Which is ridiculous for three functions that should be on the xbox dash.

To be fair, once I did get through the guy I dealt with was sound out. Didn't meddle, didn't try any marketing speak. Accepted my three requests. Set up my Gold a/c to cancel the day before it was due to be renewed. Made sure it would not auto renew. And then he 'submitted a request to the accounts department in the United States to have my credit card details removed'.

He said it would take 30 days. Which is total bollox but that's MS for ye. I asked on numerous occasions and was assured that no money would be taken off the card from now on and that in a months time my credit card details would be gone.

We'll see.... tune back in next month to see if they really did it!

tman wrote: »
    Interesting point... Not too sure if they'd accept it, but you could try a dummy Visa number.
    At this point they should only be checking if the number is valid, not taking an authorisation, so it may work...

Read on one of the links posted that one guy tried this and was informed that by submitting 'fraudulent credit card details' he was violating the terms and conditions on Live.

Ye i got an email of confirmation

Dear David J Carroll,

Your subscription to Xbox Live Monthly Gold Membership will expire on 27 January 2009. To avoid a possible interruption of your subscription service, please renew your subscription by 27 January 2009.

To extend your subscription, just use a credit card online at this site: http://www.xbox.com/extendmembership

To check pricing details, and to confirm your account information and payment options, go to: http://billing.microsoft.com
    If you have already renewed your subscription, please accept our thanks.

Thank you for using Microsoft Online Services.

Xbox LIVE Team

The guy and girl i was onto was sound enough. Although i didnt delete the Credit card details ill just make sure i wont use it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

Sorry but as someone who works in the credit card payment industry, that story about the guy whose card was charged by MS even after it had expired and he had a new expiry date and security code is bullsh*t.

Anyway, I got my gold sub cancelled by using on of the free month codes you get in some games. When the month expired my account reverted to Silver on it's own. I was pleasantly surprised because I'd been meaning to cancel for months but didn't want to bother with the hassel.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Branoic wrote: »
    Sorry but as someone who works in the credit card payment industry, that story about the guy whose card was charged by MS even after it had expired and he had a new expiry date and security code is bullsh*t.

What happened with mine when my card expired is they just renewed my 12 months of Gold anyway. It then took them about 3 months before they realised that they had not been paid, I didn't know that it was an expired card on my account either though. Once they did notice I was switched back to Silver level membership. On then paying up for the next 12 months worth though the 3 months I'd got for "free" we taken off my new sub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

i had to cancel a subscription a few months ago.....rang and had no problem.....just make sure to have all the details you need and insist you want to cancel....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

Branoic wrote: »

My registered credit card with MS expired in November 2008. My Gold subscription renewed at the end of December 2008, even though I never gave them the new credit card details (expiry number and security code are different). Sure doesn't sound like bullsh*t to me...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

J-blk wrote: »
    My registered credit card with MS expired in November 2008. My Gold subscription renewed at the end of December 2008, even though I never gave them the new credit card details (expiry number and security code are different). Sure doesn't sound like bullsh*t to me...

...and in another month or so they will realise that you have not paid them and cancel your subscription immediately. When you do then renew it will be back dated to your previous renewal date.

Advertisement