Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

July Intake

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭PapaYankeeGirl

Yeah they give you programme to help you along. But its all about personal responsbility. You hear that a lot in GV.

Not sure if I should mention exactly what goes on. There are circuits, hill sprints, weight training and of course the dreaded 5K.

Thats enough to get me scared. LOL

Anyway, thanks for the info and if you arent online before your final PCA all the best:)

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bc84

the dreaded 5k LOL

if you cant run 5k in the time set theres something wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭1979SD

bc84 wrote: »
    the dreaded 5k LOL

if you cant run 5k in the time set theres something wrong

35 Mins???? how long do you get?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭carlty888

1979SD wrote: »
    35 Mins???? how long do you get?

If I can haul my ass round the 5k within 35 minutes, then it's certainly managable.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bc84

is it actually 35mins for 5k?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭smyff

carlty888 wrote: »
    If I can haul my ass round the 5k within 35 minutes, then it's certainly managable.
    good too hear from you again carlty :) the boards have never been the same since your crew left!

bc84 wrote: »
    is it actually 35mins for 5k?

Yup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭integra1

Oi Teg. You wash. Ill iron. Deal or no deal. You smelly git. A week. In uniform. I pity your roomie is all. Fabreeze ahoy.

Flip I just thought about I would smell like you after a night on the Tequila again!!! lol . lol :D;)

PS I'll Bull you Iron!!!

smyff wrote: »
    good too hear from you again carlty :) the boards have never been the same since your crew left!

Well. There were quite a few boardies on that intake.
    I'm sure you've been managing admirably though. :D

Well. There were quite a few boardies on that intake.
    I'm sure you've been managing admirably though. :D

Yeah Sir C! Good to have you back!:)

• Advertisement

integra1 wrote: »
    Yeah Sir C! Good to have you back!:)

Cheers boyo.

Just thought I'd come online and see if the first impressions of the Hotel meet with your expectations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭RoscoPColtrane

Flip I just thought about I would smell like you after a night on the Tequila again!!! lol . lol :D;)

PS I'll Bull you Iron!!!

You got yoself a deal mister. My iron is LETHAL. If its possible to get excited about an iron Im there. Iron. Nay. Steam Generator. Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Haaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!

You got yoself a deal mister. My iron is LETHAL. If its possible to get excited about an iron Im there. Iron. Nay. Steam Generator. Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Haaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cool! I have you & Delta doing me Ironing now! lol...Yeee Haw! Indeed!:D

Cheers boyo.

Just thought I'd come online and see if the first impressions of the Hotel meet with your expectations.

How you finding life on the inside matey???

Cool! I have you & Delta doing me Ironing now! lol...Yeee Haw! Indeed!:D

That one talks the talk. He'll be too busy hoovering the rooms for a small fee with his mini dyson. He's not jokin an all. Harry Corry will be round to measure for curtains too. Get yer spake in. Im going retro floral....

How you finding life on the inside matey???

You make it sound like a prison. Your first impressions weren't that bad, where they?!

I'm loving every single minute of it. Being in a good squad certainly helps.

Did you guys get told what colour you'll be?

Yep Greens! Suits us Sir! Prison, ok Hotel sounds better!:D

You make it sound like a prison. Your first impressions weren't that bad, where they?!

I'm loving every single minute of it. Being in a good squad certainly helps.

Did you guys get told what colour you'll be?

The Greeeeeeeeeeeeeennnnnnnnnsssssssa. Lovin it. And the best bit? We get to see you blues passing out. I CANNOT wait.

The Greeeeeeeeeeeeeennnnnnnnnsssssssa. Lovin it. And the best bit? We get to see you blues passing out. I CANNOT wait.

Ahh. The passing out parade. There's still a few hurdles to get past before any of us can really get excited about that. Almost there though! :D

• Advertisement

CAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRLLLLLLLLTTTTTTTTTYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Greeeeeeeeeeeeeeeensaaaaaa!!!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 only1kingEric

this is to anyone already studying in garnerville.
    just a quick question about cash. How much do you need to bring with you???
    even just an estimate. i'm trying to work out my finances here, taking into account that we get our first pay at the end of august.
    i want to have rent and bills covered plus any extra i might need to live off till then.
    with the amount of work we have been given to do before we start i could probably do with making this my last week in work.
    just want to make sure i've enough put away to cover myself before i tell the boss. one more weeks pay might come in handy.
    any input is welcome. cheers :D

even just an estimate. i'm trying to work out my finances here, taking into account that we get our first pay at the end of august.
    i want to have rent and bills covered plus any extra i might need to live off till then.
    with the amount of work we have been given to do before we start i could probably do with making this my last week in work.
    just want to make sure i've enough put away to cover myself before i tell the boss. one more weeks pay might come in handy.

Obviously Im not in GV (or nowhere near it) but I think that you get an allowance from the PSNI to cover food while you are there, its a daily allowance of £x!!! So I heard anyway, maybe things are different these days. If the allowance still stands then I guess you would only need money for the bar (if you drink) and the odd vending machine bottle of mineral. I guess then you also have to consider travelling costs.

I have just realised that my post is of no use, so please ignore. Im away for cider and Pringles:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Older

Hey,
    There's no exact answer to your question but i'll try give a rough idea.
    I would suggest spending as much time as you possibly can working on learning and studying the pack that you have been given. It takes a lot of pressure off if you have it all or mostly learned by the time you enter Goonville. Now for the money part - its actually quite hard to find things to spend money on! There is an allowance for breakfast and lunch and it (for me) more than covers the cost of food and drinks - you then get a dinner allowance in the evening and again it covers the cost of the food and drinks. the bar is pretty cheap so its very hard to spend even a tenner a week in the bar (plus you'll be very very busy with uniform, pre-reads etc and will only half about half an hour to spare in the bar)!! Theres no pressure on you to spend money on anything at all so I would imagine you would not need much money at all. whatever you normally spend at the weekends and travel to and from the Hotel is pretty much all you need.

By the way the first few weeks wont make sense and you will feel lost and overwhelmed - but trust me it settles down so dont fret it. Ask fellow students if you have any questions and stay grey!!

hope that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭PC Inwaiting

Its strange reading Cartly's post now I know who he is.

As he said we have a few things to pass before we reach graduation. I remember seeing my first passing out parade, it was amazing. Hard not to shed a tear.

• Advertisement

Hey folks,

Hope you all enjoyed SID as much as I did!:D Can I ask how everyone is carting their belongings to GV? I am thinking a suit case or how is everyone else bringing their gear in?

Cheers Teg

Ive just completed my shapping list for checking in at the Hotel. Forget the big beg. Ill be needing a camper van. Bet Ive forgotten something too..

Flip, how are we gonna get the Tequila in mate?:D How's the workbook and defs going!??

Flip, how are we gonna get the Tequila in mate?:D

Whaddya think the camper van runs on?

I think I'll leave the tequila me in the dark recessess of my fellow's squaddies first impressions of me and let my air of professionalism,dedication and commitment take over when in the hotel. :D

Flip, how are we gonna get the Tequila in mate?:D How's the workbook and defs going!??

Ha the old work book. I put so much effort into mine and they were never even collected. Typical GVille.

One tip, Invest in a suit cover - very handy

Theyre not but im off now for a nano second from work so intend to get going on them. Thanks PC (not anymore...) In Waiting. I was going to ask if we had to complete the workbook. Will do it anyway to be on the safe side.

• Advertisement

Theyre not but im off now for a nano second from work so intend to get going on them. Thanks PC (not anymore...) In Waiting. I was going to ask if we had to complete the workbook. Will do it anyway to be on the safe side.

I am not there yet, maybe next week I will have to change my user name.

Another thing bring flip flops for the showers, wait until you see what the showers in the gym look like. Make me ill just thinking about them.

I am not there yet, maybe next week I will have to change my user name.

Another thing bring flip flops for the showers, wait until you see what the showers in the gym look like. Make me ill just thinking about them.

Check. And bucket loads of hand sanitiser...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 LiverpoolMad

I am going to ask a silly question but what the heck!!! you are talking about a workbook RPC, when were we giving that, the only thing that I have been learning is the defs, and the orders.

Help me out here m8.

Doh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Found what you have been talking about, Feel like a right spare prick now!!!!!!

Whaddya think the camper van runs on?

I think I'll leave the tequila me in the dark recessess of my fellow's squaddies first impressions of me and let my air of professionalism,dedication and commitment take over when in the hotel. :D

Ok you do that squaddie! Defs go in then go out again! ahhhhh!!!:mad::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 only1kingEric

Older wrote: »
    Hey,
    There's no exact answer to your question but i'll try give a rough idea.
    I would suggest spending as much time as you possibly can working on learning and studying the pack that you have been given. It takes a lot of pressure off if you have it all or mostly learned by the time you enter Goonville. Now for the money part - its actually quite hard to find things to spend money on! There is an allowance for breakfast and lunch and it (for me) more than covers the cost of food and drinks - you then get a dinner allowance in the evening and again it covers the cost of the food and drinks. the bar is pretty cheap so its very hard to spend even a tenner a week in the bar (plus you'll be very very busy with uniform, pre-reads etc and will only half about half an hour to spare in the bar)!! Theres no pressure on you to spend money on anything at all so I would imagine you would not need much money at all. whatever you normally spend at the weekends and travel to and from the Hotel is pretty much all you need.

By the way the first few weeks wont make sense and you will feel lost and overwhelmed - but trust me it settles down so dont fret it. Ask fellow students if you have any questions and stay grey!!

hope that helps

Thanks Older, that helped a bunch.
    think i might give work the boot tomorrow.
    these definations aren't sticking in my mind as easily as i hoped they would. need all the time i can get at them.:mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭surfrunner

Anyone got Swine Flu yet? and cause havoc to our much anticipated training!!!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 logi

alrite guys , your money question you'll be grand with psni allowances for your day to day , bring a couple quid just to be safe as the odd tesco run for munchies etc think i managed on 50 for the 4 weeks with the odd beer thrown in ;)

but as everyone says ask the squad ahead of ya they will help you out, i love it and the time has flown in. But do be careful first 4 weeks are tough enough , you will be flat out i was anyway from 6am till 11 12 easy most nights, tho banter was great days were long but it will ease up and if your stuck ask someone for help and i found i would go MIA for a day or two puttin the head down and gettin all the work etc done but once ur past your residental you'll be laughing....:D

surfrunner wrote: »
    Anyone got Swine Flu yet? and cause havoc to our much anticipated training!!!;)

I've been feeling lethargic, unmotivated, achy joints and peed off on the whole. Oh hold on! Thats just how i normally feel when i have to drag my butt into work. But hey...Im leaving the joint. Im outta there!!!!! Cheers Dr Surfrunner. I feel better already...

I think I'm currently unemployed now! lol:eek: We didn't sign any contracts at induction sure we didn't? lol How is everyone feeling about 1st day fast approaching?:D

I think I'm currently unemployed now! lol:eek: We didn't sign any contracts at induction sure we didn't? lol How is everyone feeling about 1st day fast approaching?:D

To say bricking it would be an understatement. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭MrsGeneHunt

To say bricking it would be an understatement. :eek:

LOL You were the epitome of cool, calm and collected last night.....:p

Starlight.....:cool:

MGH I finally figured out who you are, It was a great moment of triumph.

I hoped you enjoyed your lunch this week:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭smyff

i hear you are a big fan of breeze... he prefers me though. any day.

Oh my god. That was my demented chicken on speed dance. Im sending the men in black round to yours with that zapper thingy to erase your memory.

I cant believe that its not long at all til us dudes are struttin through the gates of gv a la saturday night fever as student officers. Its mad as. It really hasnt hit me yet. I just really need to get through the next while at work. Mt attitude is getting so bad I think they may actually sack me. Well that was the planned strategy anyway...Cant wait. Im wearin me white flares.:cool: Chest wig and medallion optional.

LOL I will dander into GV with you chum!:D lol I can tell by the way she uses her walk!:p

Holy smokes it's fast approaching now!

MGH I finally figured out who you are, It was a great moment of triumph.

I hoped you enjoyed your lunch this week:)

Oh no! My covers blown!!! How'd you figure that one out?!!!:eek:
    Had a panini. YUM.:D

Oh my god. That was my demented chicken on speed dance. Im sending the men in black round to yours with that zapper thingy to erase your memory.

Can I just say the video is AWESOME on the big screen lol
    We need locked up!!!:p

smyff wrote: »
    i hear you are a big fan of breeze... he prefers me though. any day.

I beg to differ. He loves me. He told me so. So there.:P

All relevant to July I see MGH!!! This is a polite 'stay on topic' reminder. You knows I loves you, so I didnt want to shout too much!! LOL :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Delta2783

Hey guys is anyone else having a hard time learning all this stuff off by heart? Im only going to concentrate on the PCR and CJS stuff for now. As long as i know them i reckon i should be fine? What you think?

Advertisement