Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recording equipment help

Options
  • 24-01-2009 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭

Hi.

I have a new macbook without firewire, so was forced to sell my duet which I really liked.

Im looking for a new recording system, 1500 euro max although id rather if i could get it cheaper.

I need 2 really good channels. It'll mainly be used for recording instruments, although id like to use my laptop for djing so converters are important.

The apogee ensemble is one option. Use it in standalone and connect to the macbook via s/pdif. The only problem is that apparently it is exactly the same as the duet sonically, so it would feel like a waste of money selling the duet for 300, and spending nearly one and a half grand more on something that will give the same results.

the metric halo uln2 is another option, and would connect the same way as the ensemble.

I am considering buying separate pres and converters. One option would be to buy a cheap pre/expensive converter or vice versa (so that I could update the cheaper one when i get more money) or I could get middle ofthe range converters and pres.

One of the converters I was looking at was the rosetta 200. Are there better converters around that price? I have also heard that the grace 101 preamps are very good, maybe someone could let me know if they have used them.

Let me know your suggestions and whether you'd reccommend other pieces of equipment.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

paulo6891 wrote: »
    The apogee ensemble is one option. Use it in standalone and connect to the macbook via s/pdif. The only problem is that apparently it is exactly the same as the duet sonically, so it would feel like a waste of money selling the duet for 300, and spending nearly one and a half grand more on something that will give the same results.

The advantage with the Ensemble is whilst it is sonically the same, it's the multiple chans you're paying for. The spdif route might also defeat the purpose a bit.

The Rosettas are very fine boxes.

Seeing as you have that amount of money, why didn't you go for a Macbook pro and stick with your Duet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 dirtycode

The new Macbooks are fantastic apart from the lack of firewire. And with a MBP you're paying for the graphics card to a certain extent.

Surely there are some good USB interfaces around. I hope you find something decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭paulo6891

The advantage with the Ensemble is whilst it is sonically the same, it's the multiple chans you're paying for. The spdif route might also defeat the purpose a bit.

Having a 8 channel interface, and only being able to transfer 2 channels through s/pdif would indeed defeat the purpose, and is the reason why I'll probably go for separate gear with 2 good channels. however, from what I hear, there would be no deterioration in quality using the s/pdif.

My decision about buying the macbook and not the pro was not about the money, if they were the same price id still go for the normal macbook because I prefer the size. I don;t like the 15 inch screen personally, i used to have one. I also have no need for the graphics card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

why didnt you buy an express card firewire to slot in ?

surely the macbook has an express bay.

if not then a mac with no firewire is just fcuking stupid- they invented it .

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭JJV

Interesting isn't it that all the "quality" interfaces use firewire rather than usb. Can't help thinking Apple have shot themselves in the foot with their choice to remove FW from the Macbooks.

I have read a good review for audio quality on the Native Instruments Audio Kontrol 1. See reviews here.

http://www.native-instruments.com/index.php?id=ak1press&L=1

Granted I doubt it's a Duet but it appears you have backed yourself into a bit of a corner. I also read good reviews for the EMU interfaces, but I'm not sure if they do Mac drivers for them.

Hope this helps.

www.jjvernon.com

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 dirtycode

A lot of Macbook owners wouldn't care about firewire. It might be an idea to advertise for a swap with a 2.1ghz blackbook on adverts.ie. Then you can buy another Apogee, or an RME, TC, MOTU or whatever.

Nah, I prefer the macbook that I have. I'll either just use the s/pdif option which will give me 2 excellent quality channels of audio.

If I ever wanted more, I could just buy something like the Emu 0404 which is Usb 2.0 and has ADAT connections, which would allow me 8 channels of audio I believe.

The situation is not ideal, granted. But it doesn't stop me from creating songs that are as high in quality as firewire devices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Am I missing something here? I did an install on a new Mac Book Pro recently.
    It had firewire 800, it was a real bastard to get the 800 to 400 lead but it worked fine when I did get the cable.

Are we sure they have no firewire? Not just no firewire 400? Links anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

studiorat wrote: »
    Am I missing something here?

Yes, It's a Macbook UnPro ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

paulo6891 wrote: »
    Nah, I prefer the macbook that I have. I'll either just use the s/pdif option which will give me 2 excellent quality channels of audio.

If I ever wanted more, I could just buy something like the Emu 0404 which is Usb 2.0 and has ADAT connections, which would allow me 8 channels of audio I believe.

The situation is not ideal, granted. But it doesn't stop me from creating songs that are as high in quality as firewire devices.

no you wont , cos you are still only getting two channels in on usb 2 .
    the inputs before the usb will be summed into two chanells

you could record two tracks at a time and mix that - but drums would be awkward if you decided to do them .

firewire gives you full multi channell in to mix in the box

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭JJV

studiorat wrote: »
    Am I missing something here? I did an install on a new Mac Book Pro recently.
    It had firewire 800, it was a real bastard to get the 800 to 400 lead but it worked fine when I did get the cable.

Are we sure they have no firewire? Not just no firewire 400? Links anyone?

You are right - the new MacBook Pros have FW800 (no 400 now) apparently the new ones have the Agere FW chipset that causes problems with RME FW interfaces amongst others. (Old Macbook Pros used to use a Texas chipset that caused fewer issues.)

The new unibody (aluminium) Macbooks hace ditched FW altogether, but they still make a white plastic one with FW400 that is cheaper & lower specced.

The MacBook airs have also ditched FW altogether. All the specs are on Apple's web site.

www.jjvernon.com

no you wont , cos you are still only getting two channels in on usb 2 .
    the inputs before the usb will be summed into two chanells

you could record two tracks at a time and mix that - but drums would be awkward if you decided to do them .

firewire gives you full multi channell in to mix in the box

No you are not just getting 2 channels in on USB, because you connect the ADAT output of the converter to the ADAT input of the USB device, giving you a total of EIGHT possible channels of music. Eight channels should be more than enough. When just recording guitar, 8 channels should suffice.

In case you misunderstood, I wasn't going to buy a USB interface and connect it to my macbook via s/pdif, I would use the USB 2.0 connection.

Besides, most of the really really top quality firewire interfaces usually have a lot more I/O than I need. I only need 2. At least I can buy 2 top quality converters + hopefully a top quality 2 channel preamp for the same price as something like the ensemble with loads of (I/Os), but of greater quality. The main problem that I can think of will be that getting separate components will take up a bit more space, but it's not as though it will ever be leaving my room. (Ok, the converter might be brought around if I'm Djing)

Im going to buy a DAC first, since I'll be using it most. I may get a cheap preamp/ADC or a cheap interface to get me by for the time being. No point in getting great pres/ADC without having great quality instruments. I'm thinking about wither the benchmark DAC1, the lavry DA10 and the apogee mini i think its called. At the minute im leaning towards the lavry, because of the price and its reputation

Advertisement