Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Broadband Questions

Options
  • 24-01-2009 2:37pm

Hey all,
    UPC have just finished putting new wiring into my estate and according to the website I'm now able to get 20 meg broadband from them. I'm currently on eircom 7.6 meg(only get speeds of about 5.5) and have never really had a problem with them. Is it worth my while switching over to them? How good is the service re: gaming?

Are torrents blocked or anything like that which I should know about?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

I find them fantastic, I usually get the full ten meg, once it went down for a few hours, so I went to the pub during that crisis.

396840090.png

The only problem I have is trying to get my router to act as a dhcp server, UPC gives the two computer in the gaff separate IP's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭PotBelly

I am also interested switching to chorus in the swords area.

I am currently on bt 8mg d/l 0.5 u/l. I am getting these speeds all the time, so no problem there. However the issue I am having is that when someone uses the telephone the broadband hangs. Router just sits on "handshake". Found that if I made another call it would switch back on. Weird. After many phone conversations with bt tech support and buying a new router/modem and filters and new house phones, it is still the same. All i am short of doing is re-wiring the phone sockets in the house.

The 10 mg chorus package appeals to me but I have a few questions, hope someone will know the answers.
    What is the contention ratio of the 10mg line?
    What make and model wireless router are they sending out now?
    Is the swords service/speeds as reliable and consistent as other areas?
    Do you have a static IP rather than a dynamic, which I have currently?

Thanks

Advertisement