Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Module Cutbacks

Options
  • 24-01-2009 2:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all, apologies if this has already been mentioned.

My classmates and I were informed by our Lecturer on Thursday evening that a number of Departments are considering to drop modules THIS Semester if that module does not gain over 15 students by the time registration closes on the 6th of Feb.

A few students reacted badly towards the Lecturer but from the sounds of it the Lecturer was only told on that day. So it's a **** up by the authorities as a whole. I mean, they could see the numbers assigned to a module from September. If this was a fear, why are we only being told about it now?

In a nutshell, my Lecturer and fellow classmates want everyone to stick with the module and hope for the best. But if we can't get the numbers up, the only alternative I have due to scheduling conflicts and limited modules being offered (it's my minor), is a module that has a lot of coursework including a group project. I cannot afford to start that module three weeks late. So I'm really in a bad situation.

Anyone else run across similar problems? By the way, it's the Department of Information and Library studies, and my Lecturer reckons departments throughout the "Arts" sector will be affected also.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

I wouldn't mind the Hume and Locke module being cancelled so I don't have to change my flights to Amsterdam when the mid term is on!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    . So it's a **** up by the authorities as a whole. I mean, they could see the numbers assigned to a module from September. If this was a fear, why are we only being told about it now?

A lot of people change their electives choices between September and know, perhaps that is why a decision has not been made until now
    In a nutshell, my Lecturer and fellow classmates want everyone to stick with the module and hope for the best. But if we can't get the numbers up, the only alternative I have due to scheduling conflicts and limited modules being offered (it's my minor), is a module that has a lot of coursework including a group project. I cannot afford to start that module three weeks late. So I'm really in a bad situation.

Well if this is a year that your gpa counts towards your degree i would recommend you start in the alternative module, if not perhaps sit it out for another week and attend the lectures for the tougher module if you can. There will be a lot more people changing next week when the results come out[/QUOTE]
    Anyone else run across similar problems? By the way, it's the Department of Information and Library studies, and my Lecturer reckons departments throughout the "Arts" sector will be affected also.

Havent experienced this myself in History or Geography but theres 300+ students in history and 200 in geography so this probably wouldnt happen. It probably will become more common as departments have to assess the cost of modules in line with tighter budgets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

^It's my last year. You are right too, I want to go into the alternative module straight away, I just don't angry nerds people in my face!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭BG2

I study and tutor in SILS. Havent heard about it. What module is it if you don't mind me asking? And whats the alternative module? I've probably done both of them already so may be able to give you more of an idea about the work involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

BG2 wrote: »
    I study and tutor in SILS. Havent heard about it. What module is it if you don't mind me asking? And whats the alternative module? I've probably done both of them already so may be able to give you more of an idea about the work involved.

It's Book History. The one that was my alternative was Advanced Information Retrieval. But for some reason the SIS system has taken that option away from me. So I'm really cheesed off at the moment!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭BG2

Well Advanced Information Retrieval is a fourth year module so thats probably why it's not an option anymore.

Is Weave the Web an option? Or Cybersociety? Political Information and Media is also a good module if you prefer essays? Thats a fourth year module too although I did it in third year so it may be an option if BH gets cut.

Was it just BTB that said the module might be closing down or did it actually come from head of school, himself or even the secretary?

Book History is a difficult module. The end of year project is hard as are the labs and its very time consuming in terms of just keeping up. However, I really enjoyed it in the end and if you have an interest in history then it will be a shame to lose it as it is a great module to do. I'd def recommend it to do. As far as i know its been around for years...

Advertisement