Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I don't believe in ghosts..

Options
  • 24-01-2009 3:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭

And I don't have an over active imagination either..

Now here's the story as best as I can relate it.

I can't reveal where I work (I can if someone PM's me) but its a very old building, the section where I work was once a morgue.

The lads all have stories of strange happenings, usually I don't bother getting involved with that kind of talk.

But here's what I've witnessed, and its quiet regular too and only after duty hours.

Phones randomly ring, including two fax machines and chairs (on coasters) regularly move (only very slightly). And almost daily the place goes from warm to freezing cold and back to warm again (its like there's pockets of cold air moving about, despite the fact there are no opening doors after hours).

Is this worth giving any more thought to, or just should I continue as I do and mostly ignore it?.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Mairt wrote: »

I can't reveal where I work (I can if someone PM's me) but its a very old building, the section where I work was once a morgue.

The lads all have stories of strange happenings, usually I don't bother getting involved with that kind of talk.

But here's what I've witnessed, and its quiet regular too and only after duty hours.

Phones randomly ring, including two fax machines and chairs (on coasters) regularly move (only very slightly). And almost daily the place goes from warm to freezing cold and back to warm again (its like there's pockets of cold air moving about, despite the fact there are no opening doors after hours).

Is this worth giving any more thought to, or just should I continue as I do and mostly ignore it?.

Phones can ring due to power fluctuations - old wiring in an old building could be the cause.

Boards in the floor could be loose or warped, again unsurprising in an old building, so walking nearby could cause a slight roll in a wheeled chair.

Draughts are common in old buildings too, and needn't be coming through a door.

Maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

You dont have to believe in ghosts to be scared of the unknown ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

nipplenuts wrote: »
    Phones can ring due to power fluctuations - old wiring in an old building could be the cause.

Boards in the floor could be loose or warped, again unsurprising in an old building, so walking nearby could cause a slight roll in a wheeled chair.

Draughts are common in old buildings too, and needn't be coming through a door.

Maybe?

Although its an old building its had a total rebuild in the last ten years and because of the nature of my work wiring is state of the art. Plus these things don't happen during normal working hours (my work environment operates 24/7).
    latchyco wrote: »
    You dont have to believe in ghosts to be scared of the unknown ?

I'm not scared, like I said. I don't have an overactive imagination, ordinarily things don't bother me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

Ordinarily things dont bother you but does this?

I guess if are not scared then you are at least curious?

You say you dont believe in ghosts but would you like to if you had proof?

It depends on how open your mind is to these things and how you would like to progress from here.

Keep watching and ignoring or dig deeper!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Samurai

Don't worry its only casper

• Advertisement

Trinity wrote: »
    Ordinarily things dont bother you but does this?

I guess if are not scared then you are at least curious?

You say you dont believe in ghosts but would you like to if you had proof?

It depends on how open your mind is to these things and how you would like to progress from here.

Keep watching and ignoring or dig deeper!

Curious tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭iamhunted

going by the description, its awkward enough to say much. First up you mightnt notice these things happening during the day but when its quieter at night things might just *seem* more noticable. Hot and cold spots can easily be caused by draughts, and draughts arent as simple as we may think - how air travel can be quite surprising. the cold air is coming from somewhere, either the a/c, windows open somewhere or air finding its way up corridors.

To prove these cold spots are anything mroe than cold air moving about, you;d need to determine all places that a draught can come from and methodically test it against where you feel the cold spots.

The chairs moving depends on just how and when it moves. It is possible for pressure on the floor to make other objects also resting on the floor to move. If it moved without anyone being near iut then you might be on to something - even then you;d need to then discount draughts or air moving the chair.

An idea would be to have a camera facing the chair - far enough back to make sure theres no-one near it but near enough to see if it moves.

iamhunted wrote: »
    going by the description, its awkward enough to say much. First up you mightnt notice these things happening during the day but when its quieter at night things might just *seem* more noticable. Hot and cold spots can easily be caused by draughts, and draughts arent as simple as we may think - how air travel can be quite surprising. the cold air is coming from somewhere, either the a/c, windows open somewhere or air finding its way up corridors.

To prove these cold spots are anything mroe than cold air moving about, you;d need to determine all places that a draught can come from and methodically test it against where you feel the cold spots.

The chairs moving depends on just how and when it moves. It is possible for pressure on the floor to make other objects also resting on the floor to move. If it moved without anyone being near iut then you might be on to something - even then you;d need to then discount draughts or air moving the chair.

An idea would be to have a camera facing the chair - far enough back to make sure theres no-one near it but near enough to see if it moves.

Thanks for the considered reply.

Regarding phones ringing (including two fax machines) it would be very noticable if this happened during normal working hours as I work in a busy environment and this would be a particular annoyance.

You seem to focus on the chairs for some reason?.

Re. a camera, they're not allowed in my work place.

Probably best I forget the whole thing and let the lads think it's all a little fun maybe?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭road_2_damascus

hang a cross in the place ... see what happens, be sure to let us know the outcome

You seem to focus on the chairs for some reason?.

Chairs moving on their own power would be the only thing mentioned that you woldnt be able to put down to something 'normal'. phones are connected to networks and you just cant tell if its a fault on the line (maybe only malfunctions in off peak times) or not and air can get cold - henceforth why the concentrating on chairs.

• Advertisement

Re. a camera, they're not allowed in my work place.

pity - a web cam? built in isight or something?
    Probably best I forget the whole thing and let the lads think it's all a little fun maybe?.

i'd say keep your eye on it and see if theres any way to record something as an example of whats going on.

Advertisement