Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just the facts ma'am. Re: Mods and arguments.

Options
  • 24-01-2009 3:27pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

As you can see the weather forum has two new mods. I'll try and give you the salient facts and then I'm shutting this thread because I've basically had a bellyful of not-my-problem.

Vexorg unbanned a user from a siteban late last week. That caused problems. The moderators of Weather felt agrieved to say the least and challenged Beruthiel about it feeling they had been targetted in some way. To say that they handled that "badly" is an understatement in a scenario where very few people handled themselves with any dignity in the first place.

That culminated with at least one user being banned from Weather and posts deleted simply because of who they were from not what they contained. Also a notice saying that the two moderators were leaving and included a link to another weather forum, apparently owned or part owned by Snowbie, urging users to go there.

At this point I demodded both mods while I discussed this with them, in order to protect the integrity of the data on this site. They dont want to return and I wouldnt feel comfortable anyway.

Supercell also resigned but after some discussion agreed to remain and chose the two replacements you see today. He showed remarkable maturity in a difficult situation and my confidence in his moderating has grown considerably. You are in good hands here.

BlackBriar's posts have also been a source of contention here. We have spoken about this and I hope the future will be smoother all round. I disagree with the style in which some of his points have been made but I support his right to make challenging scientific statements.

Weather is under the science section. I am fully versed with how complex non-linear and indeed chaotic systems are. I am also well versed in scientific conflict and counter argument. You have a structure of logic, observation, theory and proof at your disposal to debate and dissect counter-points and/or alternative theories/predictions.

You should couch your arguments in that language and you should be able to settle disputes in a rational manner using the tools of the trade. I expect to see this from now on and for an end to the personality based postings and childish bickerings. (most of the forum is fine but there are some obvious culprits).

You are scientists, not a bunch of mildly moist mystic megs. For god's sake act accordingly and not like a Farside cartoon.

DeV.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement