Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

IR photography

• 24-01-2009 4:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭

Hey guys

Anyone here Pro in IR if yes can you PM me please i need some help with some shots i tried to do.

THanks

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

do you mean profession? or experience in taking ir shots, digital or film?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

you could post it on thread and see what advice comes forth. do a description of what you had hoped to achieve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Duchovny

Digital IR photography.

I know i need to use a custom WB from a paper or a green grass, do i have to use the filter when shooting the grass? should i use the same exposure as i will use in the original shot?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 287 ✭✭latchiko

You'll need to put the filter on when you are taking the photograph of the grass. Once this is done, use that photo to set your custom white balance. Once the custom white balance has been set, you can continue taking photogrpahs normally, with the filter on, at whatever exposure you need.
    You might need to take the filter off in order to recompose and focus but as long as the custom white balance remains set then you should be ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

Your white balance also affects the length of exposure you require for a given brightness. Someone more technical than I may be able to explain just why.

• Advertisement

Yeah i realize my mistake that i set the custom WB but somehow stayed set as white balance so the photos are crap, now i have to wait for a another sunny day (6 months maybe) so i will see and if the problem remains i let u guys know, tks a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Or shoot in raw and correct it all later.

Personally I'm quite lazy... so do not do what I do: - buy a cheap IR filter, keep it on auto-white balance, shoot in jpeg...and sometimes if I'm super lazy - use Picasa to convert to b&w instead of photoshop.

On the other hand I'm happy with the results I get (mostly) - since I don't print them out and the laptop screen is only 1 megapixels large.

4D44A1CB86A040678B2B0D97D56003A0-500.jpg

D5F576B2218B4B54BAE6539582A4A338-500.jpg

Ok i tried this morning the weather wasnt very good but it was enough to see what i was doing wrong and i see now what i can do :D thanks a lot for replys...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Just out of interest where can you get these filters?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

online... filters are easy to find...film however...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

AFAIK, they have SFX in Gunn's - But I could be completely wrong.

thats very borderline ir, easy to use tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

landyman wrote: »

ebay - I got a "Kood" r72 filter - around 15 euro if I recall.

Of course like all filters you can get prices ranging from 15 euro to 50+ euro... it all depends on your needs.

The kood filter should be even cheaper now since I bought it on the UK ebay. I dealt with "surrey photography" - certainly can vouch for their effectiveness.

landyman wrote: »

I got on ebay, and i have a Hoya R72 but cost me around 80€ because is 77mm....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭GristlyEnd

I bought mine from Surrey Phorography on eBay. I got the Hoya R72. I was out shooting with it today as the sun was perfect was IR shots.

Advertisement