Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

biking with dog - device

Options
  • 24-01-2009 4:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭

Bought this biking device for my extremely energetic cairn x fox terrier a few months ago and just wanted to let other dog owners know how good it is. So easy to assemble, completely safe, no training required and will fit any bike, and can be dismantled and used as a lead in about 2 seconds! It's an absolute Godsend and would be ideal for huskies, boxers, malamutes or other really active breeds. It's on sale now too on the web link above, 15 quid cheaper than normal. At the risk of sounding like I'm scoring commission from the sellers :p I can't recommend it enough!

Quick tip - use harness rather than collar when using it!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭sn00ps

Hi .. I too am very interested in this for my cocker. Can I ask if your dog is perfectly well behaved when walking on the lead and how long did it take him/her to get used to the bike being beside them?

thanks a mil

S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭sadhbhc15

It didn't take my dog long at all to get accustomed to it. He was a bit nervous being so close to the bike but once we got going he loved it, from day one! He absolutely ADORES running and can go for an hour, easy. I always use a harness on him and he will pull the bike along, but I'm very much in control. He'll pull forwards, never off to the side. He understands 'stop' and 'go'. Once he's in "travel mode" he's focussing so much on just moving that he never misbehaves.

Can't recommend this enough!

p.s. watch your dog's paw pads on the road, they need time to get used to the surface so maybe start at 20 mins, then build up time gradually!
    Good luck!

Thanks a mil, am thinking of trying it out in the park first .. just in case, would hate either of us ending up under a truck!

About his paws, he's usually walked on paths not grass would this make a difference to his paw sensitivity?

S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Photo depicts an Alsation, great until it sees a cat. :eek:

walky-dog.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Exactly, I have an Alsation. Anyone try this thingy out leading a dog that size?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I came across these devices a couple of years ago and have serious concerns about their safety. It could be awkward in a busy or conjested area and certainly a concern if the dog pulls the wrong way. It seems a good idea but I remain unconvinced as to it's safety for dog, cyclist and other road users.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I came across these devices a couple of years ago and have serious concerns about their safety. It could be awkward in a busy or conjested area and certainly a concern if the dog pulls the wrong way. It seems a good idea but I remain unconvinced as to it's safety for dog, cyclist and other road users.
    They should be banned from public roads, perhaps ok in parks where there is no traffic present.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭sadhbhc15

I can only talk from my own experience, and I have to say I find it brilliant!

Sn00ps - my dog was walked a lot on paved roads prior to biking but running is a lot tougher on the paws (more pounding) so unless your cocker naturally has very tough pads, I'd be careful not to overdo it. His paws will toughen up though after a short while and you can go for longer. Good luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Watch out for long term affects on Joints from pounding a hard surface at speed over a number of years. It's harder on the body than brisk walking and a harder surface than usually encountered when dogs are let off for a run.

But, I still think it is inherently unsafe for cyclist, dog, other road users and pedestrians.

Hi all

well, I guess this is why I was looking for some advice from someone who actually used it!!

I am planning to start in an empty car park over a weekend for 10 mins or so and the go to a park that allows cycling, which is pretty hard, before trying out the roads. I live in a semi rural area but the roads can be busy so this is only something I would try at weekends when it's quieter. Also planning to keep him hedge side of the bike so I have more control. I hope I have it planned well?

This device has some good reviews on the site so we can but give it a go .. and if it doesn't work it's back to walking all the time. I just want to introduce a more physical exercise session with my cocker without killing myself .. not as young as I used to be:P

Thanks for all your feedback

S

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Amimad

I always use just a lead to bike my dogs, that way I can let go if I really need to or tug them towards me.
    I also always keep the dog on my left, when starting off do lots of big left Circles, your dog should watch the wheeel of the bike & wont wont to be run over!
    when my dog was younger & we start biking, he tried to herd the bike & came off the worse for it, he soon learnt to respect it.

Advertisement